Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Moving to another city

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am fed up with London... Really fed up.

I need a change of scene and to start over, to live somewhere cheaper, but still as interesting and hopefully, friendlier. I don't really have much to stay for in London and tbh, some people caused trouble for me and things aren't how they were...

I have been thinking of Cardiff... I'm aware I need a job and to save up some rent, but I have heard lots of lovely things about it.

I am looking for:
  • An affordable place
  • Somewhere with a diversity of people
  • Good nightlife
  • Friendlier than London
  • A (shorter) train journey from the country

Obviously I also need a semi-decent job, so anywhere with work.

Any ideas or city suggestions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Newcastle
    How far away (miles) is the maximum you're prepared to move away?
    I think Cardiff is very nice. You'll find a job there.

Good Luck!
    Canada is always good :yippe:
    Brighton's pretty much got all your criteria covered, however, although it's cheaper than London, it's not wildly so.
    Brighton's pretty much got all your criteria covered, however, although it's cheaper than London, it's not wildly so.

I just got back from a weekend in Brighton and me and Randomboy were saying how much we'd like to live there as it's really lovely.

ETA: You could commute to London for work, at least for a bit whilst you look for new work if you don't fancy commuting long-term. Randomboy says lots of people he works with (in London) live there.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Newcastle

It's certainly cheap in Newcastle - you can rent a three bedroom house there for the cost of a room in London :impissed:

Or do you want to stay in the south?

Are there any cities where friends live which might make a move easier/who you could stay with while house hunting? Could it be worth visiting a few places to get a feel for them?

Another way to choose is to look for work first - and move when you have a job sorted to wherever that is based...

Making a total move to a new city can be scary but can also be really exciting - was the best thing I ever did - although be prepared for it to take some time to settle in and feel at home when you get there...

Good luck! :)
    Brighton = bastard cold.

Nice place though.
    Anywhere nice along the rail route from Brighton into London?

Newcastle is a nice place, on the whole people are generally quite friendly and open, shouldn't be too hard making new friends etc.
    newcastle gets my vote, i want to move there one day.