Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello all,

I thought I should make a thread to make people aware of the Ubuntu operating system (if they are not already) on the day of the release codenamed Maverick Meerkat, version number 10.10.

Included software:
* Photo album organiser
* Video player and editor
* Music player and store (which allows you to stream your purchases to your mobile phone)
* Email reader with calendar, contacts and task list functions
* Facebook and Twitter integration
* Office software for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations and drawing

It also doesn't require third party anti-virus or firewall software and is completely free to obtain and use.

Check it out at www.ubuntu.com

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've already downloaded it (Kubuntu actually). No time to test it or install it yet, however.
  • Options
    Looks alright for netbooks/low powered laptops, but I like my gaming. so it's a no from me. Windows 7 all the way :p
  • Options
    I only like Linux for servers, because it has the market for it. But for every day use, I see no point. As Whowhere said its only for netbooks [which are crap] and very old systems [which are crap].

If your computer is that crap that it has to run Ubuntu, and not even a slimmed version of XP, it's time to get a new one.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I only like Linux for servers, because it has the market for it. But for every day use, I see no point. As Whowhere said its only for netbooks [which are crap] and very old systems [which are crap].

If your computer is that crap that it has to run Ubuntu, and not even a slimmed version of XP, it's time to get a new one.

It isn't just for netbooks, but it does have a netbook version. I don't think many people run Ubuntu simply because their computer won't run the latest version of Windows. Windows XP would in fact run on older hardware than the current Ubuntu because it is not a current operating system.

My laptop is fitted with a 64 bit processor and 4GB of RAM, it came with Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, I didn't want to run an operating system that could only use 3/4 of the laptop's RAM. It would have cost a lot money to buy a 64 bit version of Windows so I decided to switch to Ubuntu. In the default installation I get Shotwell for managing my photos, Rhythmbox music player with an integrated DRM free music store and a full set of Office programs; none of these things came with the pre-installed Windows Vista my laptop was sold with.

Also, I get free cloud-based file, notes and contact synchronisation accessible through the Web. So in my case, and probably many others, it isn't simply a case of my computer not being up to running the latest version of Windows. It is a matter of features, performance and cost.
  • Options
    It isn't just for netbooks, but it does have a netbook version. I don't think many people run Ubuntu simply because their computer won't run the latest version of Windows. Windows XP would in fact run on older hardware than the current Ubuntu because it is not a current operating system.

My laptop is fitted with a 64 bit processor and 4GB of RAM, it came with Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, I didn't want to run an operating system that could only use 3/4 of the laptop's RAM. It would have cost a lot money to buy a 64 bit version of Windows so I decided to switch to Ubuntu. In the default installation I get Shotwell for managing my photos, Rhythmbox music player with an integrated DRM free music store and a full set of Office programs; none of these things came with the pre-installed Windows Vista my laptop was sold with.

Also, I get free cloud-based file, notes and contact synchronisation accessible through the Web. So in my case, and probably many others, it isn't simply a case of my computer not being up to running the latest version of Windows. It is a matter of features, performance and cost.

Windows Vista was crappy, 7 is quite easily the best OS I've ever used or owned. My PC takes 20 seconds to boot up which is faster than my other half's i-mac, before it would take over a minute. The 3/4 ram is no longer an issue now either.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »

Your summary above is pretty narrow minded - you failed to mention the issue of viruses and spyware

I've installed Linux on to the PC's of relatives that have decent machines because their needs are pretty basic, internet, email, word processing - when you have windows you have to install loads of protection software - Firewalls, Anti Spyware, Anti-Virus, etc with Linux it's less of an issue.

For basic computer users linux might be a much better option for them not because their PC is crap as you put it but because their needs are to have a simple, hassle free computer system.
  • Options
    You don't need to install antiviruses on Windows. I don't on ANY of my computers. I use common sense when downloading and I use a good browser. In terms of Linux, it's the old argument of OSX/Linux is better because viruses aren't that widespread, thats not a reason. Linux security in terms of servers is just tedious.

My view isn't narrowminded though, its years of working with Linux. If you really don't use a computer that much, only for basic operations, you can use something like GOS, Peppermint, WattOS, Meego, Linux Mint etc. All which are built to be lightweight, fast, and do minimal tasks out the box. I have no vendetta against Linux, I like Linux, I just wouldn't recommend it as a base OS. But I always do for servers/routers.
  • Options
    I'm running on linux mint helena right now.
    Before that it was jaunty jackalope.
    Fast and efficient and worry free but ...I'm not into gaming.
    If your into gaming forget it.
  • Options
    pretty cool man, thanks for the share