Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weed, whats next ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, i have a couple of friends who have drifted from alcohol and cigarettes and have started taking weed.
They constantly are talking about it, but now im getting worried because others seem to be getting impressions its ok to take it, and I am beginning to realise that some of them may not stop at weed, and may go further.
I dont know what to do, espeacially since my closer friends might be at risk.

Comments

• Options
    quite honestly as a weed smoker myself theres nothing that pisses me off more is a friend telling me that they don't want me to do it, it drives me mental, its my choice but if they say they are uncomfortable with it then I take that into account.

Short of going to the police theres nothing you can really do to stop them smoking weed or going on to something further if they so want to
  • Options
    its none of your business. People have to make their own choices/mistakes
  • Options
    Im not going to go to the police. Ofcourse not !
    Im just worried they will move onto harder stuff...
  • Options
    Most people who smoke weed stick to weed. I think if they do move onto harder stuff you have to cross that bridge if you come to it. I wouldnt worry about something that hasnt even happened
  • Options
    In my experience, I'm smoked weed and never really gone on to anything harder, once or twice i've done a bit of MDMA but thats it, I personaly don't feel that weed is a "gateway" drug.

I agree with suzy that your worrying about something that hasn't even happened, and probably won't so don't risk your friendships over something so trivial
  • Options
    That helped
  • Options
    Thank you :)
    That has reasured me.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Personally I think weed is underestimated.

I've tried most things I can get my hand on - after researching the safest way to take it. Crak, Heroin, LSD even weird shit like DMT.

Nothing had more of a negative effect on my day to day life than weed. I used to love it smoked it for years, then noticed it made me lethargic and paranoid - and a good proportion of my mates have the same experience. However, there are lot of people I know who can smoke it till the cows come home without any real negative effect. Add to that the fact that in general I think that proportionally more poeple suffer negative effect from that good old socially accepted drug alcohol.

Bassically weed is not to be underestimated, it does fuck people up, it's not harmless by any measure, but used sensibly as with any drug it's not something to get overly worked up about.

love trying new drugs but am not one to advise any body to actively try them with one exception. MDMA. Can't say it about many drugs but MDMA had a serious positive effect on my life. It's not harmless, and it may not be true for everyone, but discovering MDMA was one of the defining moments of my life.

Don't preach to people because you'll push them away. Let them make their own choices, respect that and be their mate.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Skive wrote: »

I've tried most things I can get my hand on - after researching the safest way to take it. Crak, Heroin, LSD even weird shit like DMT.

Nothing had more of a negative effect on my day to day life than weed. I used to love it smoked it for years, then noticed it made me lethargic and paranoid - and a good proportion of my mates have the same experience. However, there are lot of people I know who can smoke it till the cows come home without any real negative effect. Add to that the fact that in general I think that proportionally more poeple suffer negative effect from that good old socially accepted drug alcohol.

Bassically weed is not to be underestimated, it does fuck people up, it's not harmless by any measure, but used sensibly as with any drug it's not something to get overly worked up about.

love trying new drugs but am not one to advise any body to actively try them with one exception. MDMA. Can't say it about many drugs but MDMA had a serious positive effect on my life. It's not harmless, and it may not be true for everyone, but discovering MDMA was one of the defining moments of my life.

Don't preach to people because you'll push them away. Let them make their own choices, respect that and be their mate.

post of the week. :)
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    In my experience, I'm smoked weed and never really gone on to anything harder, once or twice i've done a bit of MDMA but thats it, I personaly don't feel that weed is a "gateway" drug.

I agree with suzy that your worrying about something that hasn't even happened, and probably won't so don't risk your friendships over something so trivial

That's me too. Weed is my 'drug' of choice. Occasionally dabble in something harder but only every few months and never enough to be anything to worry about.
  • Options

I think its courses for horses. Just as some people behave badly on drink, some people find weed addictive. For me and my friends, it's never been a problem but I know of some people who struggle because they have more biological addictive personalities.
  • Options
    Im just worried they will move onto harder stuff...

As other have said, in the majority of cases thats nonesense.

Talking from personal experience, when i left school i started smoking a bit of weed with a few friends, apparently although they didnt say it, a few other friends were concerned, like youself at the time, thinking we were going to turn in to potheads, even though we would only had weed one or two times a week for a couple of months.

Then, for no particular reason, i just stopped, there was nothing that brought it on, just one week didnt fancy it, week turned in to two weeks, a month etc... and i hadn't had any for 4 or 5 years, then one night around a mates house (a mate who i dont usually hang around with) he and a few of his mates were smoking some weed and asked if i would like any, i just politely refused.

Then after several times after being around theirs when they were smoking (each time they asked, not to pressure, just out of politeness) i said yeah, and a few times ive been around and had a smoke with them, but more often than not i dont bother.

I'm sure in a few people it can instantly trigger an addiction, but personally i view it the same alcohol, tea, coffee etc... if i feel like it i'll have some, usually i dont so i politely refuse, but even years ago when i was having it weekly i never thought "ooohhh i wonder what E's are like etc...." i think thats more to do with the circle of friends you're in.
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    post of the week. :)

Agree. I think I've taken everything (if I haven't, send your experimental substances my way) and find weed has had the greatest negative impact on my life, long term.Other things I feel have had a positive impact.

I don't think that there is much that the OP can do though, if they 'warn' their friends, they aren't going to like it, and if they cut them out... well, they've lost their friend.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Agree. I think I've taken everything (if I haven't, send your experimental substances my way) and find weed has had the greatest negative impact on my life, long term.Other things I feel have had a positive impact.

Katralla, I'm shocked, I didn't know you had it in you! :thumb: For some reason I had you down as a bit of a yummy mummy type, albeit a cool one!

I used to smoke a lot of weed, and dabbled like CB and Teagan in other things. But I'm aware I have an addictive personality, and that my reaction to weed was fairly negative. When my weed smoking, and later MDMA use was getting out of hand (I was going through a rough patch generally), I had the sense and the strength to stop it. I'll still smoke weed if it's about, but like me most of my friends have grown out of it so it doesn't really happen that often.

I think you've really got to be a fairly regular user of drugs to get addicted to them, and to the OP I think that if your friends are just experimenting there's nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    I am a cool yummy mummy. A cool yummy mummy who will munch all your drugs... apart from weed, wouldn't touch that stuff now, not even with yours.
  • Options

This echoes my experiences too...

I don't even drink any more tbh... My choice obviously, not one I push on other people. I have seen drugs fuck some people up and seen alcoholism nearly kill others. I can't risk being one of those people.
  • Options
    weed hasnt had a negative impact on my life at all. I only smoke it occasionally.

Anything will fuck you up if you do it too often
  • Options
    some may, some will, some wont... you can say what you want and try to advise them, but advice is just advice, it's upto them what they do with there lives..

my perception is weed is viewed as quite harmless, this is true to quite a large extent , however many other drugs are far from harmless, alcohol and smoke inhalation being pretty nasty themselves....

yes, weed can be a gateway drug if you allow it to be one. i wouldnt say it was for me, it just happened to be one of the first illegal drugs i came accross

good luck, hope all pans out well for you.. stay wi
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    This echoes my experiences too...

Mine also. I had my honeymoon with weed: used it far too much and now it just makes me paranoid. I wish I'd had the sense to keep it to a treat every now and again.
  • Options
    yes, weed can be a gateway drug if you allow it to be one. i wouldnt say it was for me, it just happened to be one of the first illegal drugs i came accross

If it is a gateway drug it's because its illegal and when you start to associate with dealers and users then they may well get asked if you want to try something else.

Why isn't alcohol seen as the gateway drug, virtually everyone I know who has used drugs got drunk first, and definitely under age. But you could argue that spinning around as a child to get dizzy is the first gateway drug as it's a normal humans experiance with different states of mind.
  • Options
    Mother's milk was the gateway drink for me.
  • Options
    my mum was most nights drinking when pregnant with me ... i came out yellow... thanks mum! :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I had my honeymoon with weed: used it far too much and now it just makes me paranoid. I wish I'd had the sense to keep it to a treat every now and again.

:yes:

Same, and I know a lot of people who share the same experience.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    am not one to advise any body to actively try them with one exception. MDMA. Can't say it about many drugs but MDMA had a serious positive effect on my life..

whereas i think its just another drug. Very nice, but i wouldnt advise people to try it necessarily as I find the comedowns last for days. At least with something like weed, you can get stoned and then when it wears off, youre absolutely fine again
  • Options
    I think suzy just sumed it all up really
    everyone has diffrence prefences and expeiriences with drugs, for example, I smoke a fair amount of weed, i enjoy it but i know the risks and avoid doing it excessivly, and I know that other people won't like it but will like other drugs ie MDMA

I think that makes sense
  • Options
    It is a myth for kids to go from weed to harder drugs...it is the people that introduce them to it...
  • Options
    i stick mostly to pot, helps with my body pains/aches.. though i dont mind using something different every once in awhile. but pot is my choice..

mdma i am cautious with, i have seen what it can do to people who are dependent upon it.
  • Options
    I think that some drugs can be a gateway to others but some aren't - you also have to bear in mind that an awful lot of people go through a phase as a teenager where they want to try drugs and experiment - this doesn't mean that they are going to become an addict or die from taking drugs.
  • Options
    weed smoked leaves smoke damage, and is most comonly smoked with tobacco so tobacco addiction is there too, and a very real a terrible addiction best avoided in my opinion..

MDMA, not as harmless as some make out. it carries risks just like everything else, i would not 'advise' people to use at all, quite the opposite.. serotonin can be released more naturally, and the meth part of the chemical is pure nastiness
  • Options
    After reading some posts, i'm glad most people here agree that weed overrall has a mainly negative effect on people more so than other drugs. I've not read all the posts, so don't have ago if i repeat something.

One thing i've noticed though, is that most of the people have said that weed caused a negative affect on their lives, compared to the other drugs they've taken.

But i don't think the problem is with the weed itself, but more around the stigma of weed. Weed is generally considered by most, a safe drug, which gets you high and makes you mellow and we know the bad sides, but we tend to ignore them and think nah won't happen to me. If you think about it, most people here who've expeirenced a negative effect have smoked a lot, years enfact of smoking the stuff, which is why it's probably caused a bad effect more than other drugs.

I've taken weed, MDMA, ACID, Coke, Mephedrone, Shrooms (DMT), and cough syrup (DMX i think?)

The thing is, you wouldn't take MDMA when you got home from work would you? You'd just take it occasionaly while doing stuff like parting with mates, clubs etc, and it's high price means that you can't do it everyday.
    Weed on the other hand is cheap as a chinese take away.
    You get home from work after having a shit day, you spark up a spliff listen to music.

It's just easier to take than most drugs, easier to get, cheap and the effects are good, so the amount your body takes is going to be far far far greater than most drugs.

A decent 80% pure gramme of coke is what, £70+ in my area. And mephedrone is atleast £15 a gram, or £20 a gram when laced with coke.
    And it's not that much of a social thing either, you can sit with a group of mates in a park mellowing out, sniffing meph. You may say you can and i have in the past, but it's just the same as sparking up a spliff.
    Weeds a far more accepted drug too, most people don't mind it, and most people i know would smoke it.

Weed is a lovely drug when you first start, i remember when i first time i got properly high on weed, about march this year. It felt amazing, my head was in a complete buzz and rush and almost euphoric, it made all my problems go away and made me feel like i was the happiest person in the world. And i was smoking anything between 2 to 4 grams every other day, sometimes everyday. After about 6 months of smoking it quite a lot, not as much as at first, but atleast 3 times a week i got zonked. I've had one major run in with the police, and some minor ones. I was lucky, i got let off with a Final warning and a slap on the wrist. Now when i smoke weed, all is does is makes my head buzz, makes me sleepy and doze off. I barely ever feel the original 'high' i first got, and it doesn't make me happy like before. I don't feel the same about weed anymore, but i still smoke it hoping i will get that same high.
    I've been on holiday for 2 weeks nearly, and haven't touched any in 3 weeks now, i'm feeling very withdrawn from it, i think about getting high quite a lot, and i want some. But i know it won't do me much good.

Weed's most definitely the drug which has had the most negative affect on my life, but still also a very good affect. It cured my depression quickly, and stopped my self-harming/suicidal thoughts. Made things much better for me in general, i've met some good people through it too. Now i'm coming out the other side, the reasons why i take have changed though. For the first month or two, it was my sort of medication, now it's just for fun. but it doesn't really work.

In answer to your original question, depends on what your friends are like as people, their aspirations and what they want to do. I've seen hardcore weed smokers turn down all sorts of drugs, but like me and others, have gone onto 'harder' drugs and experienced them. There is nothing you can really do about them smoking weed, it is ultimately their choice, but you can still be a good friend, make sure things don't turn nasty, if they do try other things watch they don't get addicted if they do try harder stuff. Just be there for them, let them make the decisions on their life but you can help keep them on a safe path while they're doing it.

Also in my eyes, i don't consider weed a gateway drug. I consider it more of a introduction to drugs, some may like it and decide to smoke it and stick to it. Some may like it and want to try more. Some may try it and stop. Everyone is different.