Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Washing_every_time you go

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I'm interested what you think about the Middle Eastern/Muslim ettiquette of after going to the toilet (for both actions) you wash the parts. This is to ensure that the body and clothes (including underwear) is free from any impurities. This cleanliness is required before various religious duties such as prayer. Similarly after sex or wet dreams or periods, etc a full body wash is required including washing the privates.

The point is water and tissue is used. Dry tissue alone doesn't do the job. e.g. The usual non-Muslim habit of merely zipping up after urination doesn't apply to the Muslim. He/She pours water over it to wash away urine and is particular in not staining the underpants.

From someone who became Muslim:
"I think it is cultural that it never occurs to the mind to use water because we do not know of anyone doing it and our bathrooms are not designed to make it obvious or easy."

If it is routine to wash one's hands after using the toilet, is it even not more logical to wash one's bottom? Babies always have their bottoms washed clean, powdered and pampered. However, upon graduating from infancy to the stage of self reliant childhood, they are permitted to revert to the medieval custom of wiping and dry toilet paper. American parents are solely responsible for depriving their children of the appropriate guidance and education on this subject. Perhaps this is the result of the Puritanical American culture and heritage handed down through the years.
http://www.bidet.com/bidet.htm

WATER
Pure. Clean. Natural.
For thousands of years, civilizations have used water for personal cleansing. In fact, many Middle Eastern cultures regard this practice as on of the staples of their beliefs. Water has always been one of the most effective ways to rid sensitive anal and vaginal areas of germs and bacteria. As we became more "civilized", we switched from soothing water to dry, abrasive toilet tissue.
http://www.geocities.com/sanibidet/bemis_toilet_seats.html

Comments

• Options
    Re: Washing_every_time you go
    Originally posted by Aisha

If it is routine to wash one's hands after using the toilet, is it even not more logical to wash one's bottom?

Now thats a bloody good point :D:):D
  • Options
    Get some of the softer stuff.
    Originally posted by Aisha
    ...we switched from soothing water to dry, abrasive toilet tissue.

What kind of toilet paper you using, girly?
  • Options
    Hi

I think its a good idea, it perhaps seems a little weird but only cos its not part of our culture. Logically though it makes a lot of sense, without being crude those areas are quite moist anyway and water is cleansing so surely washing with water is going to be better than using something dry and unnatural.

Will help eliminate fishy whiffs too :P

AM
  • Options
    Don't bother replying - its just an ad for bidet.com from the looks of it.

Did you see the extra usage of the word bidet and bidets at the end? That's supposed to make it cme higher in searches.

*sigh*
  • Options
    Black Knight and Kathryn

BK:

Both texts were from "bidet" sites -- I was trying to show by using a Western example how water is more suitable for cleaning. The [bidet bidet bidet bidet] bit which I've edited out came about because there was a jpg of a bidet at that spot in the text when I copied and pasted.

Kathryn:

You have to understand the religion is a complete way of life, one important part is cleanliness - spiritual and physical, which includes when going to the toilet. In the same way a pet owner may train a dog or cat to do its business in the right place kids are told how to wash and keep themselves clean - it's imperative before the prayers for example. In the Muslim bathroom you will always find a jug or "watering can" or sometimes a hose spray may be fitted. Bidets generally aren't used. It's simply the normal and natural thing to do when you visit the toilet, and routine.

Now, especially in a non-Muslim environment such as the workplace or school or shopping centre or non-Muslim home it will be hard to do such a thing. Sometimes you may carry a bottle (say for a woman in her handbag) or perhaps grab some handtowels and moisten them. To avoid getting the underwear stained with urine when it is hard to wash you might line it with some tissue. Basically in such circumstances you do the best you can. When you return home and need to pray you would wash and change underwear if need be. There's no punishments but it is required before various religious duties -- in a similar way you attend an interview you go showered, shaven, hair groomed, smart, etc...

Why should it be harder for women? I don't see why. Men are recommended to pass water *sitting down* to avoid soiling the clothes or ground or toilet.

I don't see if you do the washing up with water why you don't do the same for yourself. Is it possible to clean the dishes using dry kitchen paper? Grease and food will still be smeared on the surface of the plate. Isn't that what you are doing with oneself?

I'd just be so uncomfortable all day long.
  • Options
    :p

Some would say it is religion, some would say culture that makes people do stuff that seem weird to others.

My take, it is more on hygiene and good grooming, the location, humidity of the place one is in. I am not Muslim but where I live, the urge to clean oneself, make oneself feeling fresh, and great all day is an inherent part of our daily lives. We were not taught to do so, we just KNOW that in order to stay healthy we must always take care of our hygiene.

G'day!
  • Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I manage perfectly well not getting urine in my pants from tissue alone. :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I don't know about anyone else, but I manage perfectly well not getting urine in my pants from tissue alone. :confused:

Maybe the abrasive toilet paper puts her off. :p
  • Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I manage perfectly well not getting urine in my pants from tissue alone.

Me too. I don't have time in the day to use a bidet or wet some tissue paper, I'm not too bothered by it considering urine is sterile unless there is an infection in the bladder etc.

There is bacteria and germs in and all over the body every day, and I shower or have a bath at least once a day to keep up the personal hygene.

I was wondering what Aisha would do in a situation where a person had double incontinence? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by go_away
    double incontinence? :confused:

whats that?
  • Options
    It's the loss of urinary and bowel control.
  • Options
    Also if we was ment to wash after every piss - what were bushes designed for? :D
  • Options
    Urine is sterile and therefore cleaner than the tap water you are cleaning yourself with.
  • Options
    . Sometimes you may carry a bottle (say for a woman in her handbag) or perhaps grab some handtowels and moisten them. To avoid getting the underwear stained with urine when it is hard to wash you might line it with some tissue.

why should we have to carry around water or line a panties with uncomfortable abrasive toilet paper ?????
    ever heard od a pantie liner and baby wipes?????

they are a lot more portable than a bottle of water and if you must be a total hygine freak using these will save time and be alot more conveniant(s/p) for constant use.

oh and no its not the same to wash ur dishes with loo roll
    because the food wee eat is made up of totaly different substances to what comes out of our bums
    and the stuff that does come out of there is water based so it can be cleaned up with abrasive toilet paper !!!!!

sorry but it has to be said!
  • Options
    Well,
    I am a woman and I wash everytime I go. I don't find it difficult; I don't see why it would be harder for a woman than a man. You realize, Muslim and Middle Eastern men don't pee standing up, either. They sit down so there are no splashes in random areas.:p
    Practically, I don't find it hard, either. I carry a collapsible cup in my purse in a little baggie. Easy as pie.
    But, let's say for some reason someone just can't find water to wash. Religiously, still no problem, you just do it when you can later, and if there is any doubt about one's purity for prayer, then there is a way we can prepare for prayer without water just for such emergencies.

I didn't grow up washing with water after going to the bathroom, but I must say, it certainly feels cleaner and more refreshing and easier, too, for number two, that is.
  • Options
    If urine were betting for cleaning yourself than water, then why not start washing your dishes in urine? Or, when finished going to the bathroom, wash your hands in the urine? Of course we don't do that, becuase urine is an ideal place for certain nasty things to grow. If urine is sterile, it only was sterile until the instant it left the bladder.

Urine is waste from your body and it does contain microorganisms that can make one ill along with lots of other nasty things.

One might think that using tissue paper alone they remove all the urine, but it is not the case. The only way to remove all of it is through rinsing. Just like on CSI in crime scene investigation - small traces of blood, urine, semen are left behind after wiping if they were present. Leaving it behind is providing a culture for bacterial infection. Most of the time you may not get sick, but sometimes you will.

It isn't hard to wash with water - it takes all of 30 seconds to one minute longer than normal Western ways of going to the bathroom, so time is no excuse. It is more sanitary scientifically to use water.

Whether someone chooses to do it or not, I don't really care. But I have a scientific mind and the science supports it. A good scientific investigation - try it before you knock it. Same goes for veggies.
  • Options
    Incontinence

I never said you/me use "abrasive" tissue, -- I was quoting from a site which used the term.

In certain/special circumstances various rules are waived/made easier.
    [We can't eat pig but if one was dying and nothing else was available then pig eating would be permissable.]
    For someone who suffers incontinence he would try his best to control himself just before and during prayer time and wash and change. This extra determination and struggle would be rewarded.

Carrying a bottle of water around would been needed if the bathroom had no water or container availability.

Quotes:
    Oh.... I recently had an appointment with my doctor who was doing a pelvic examination. She happened to mentioned how "clean" I am. I mentioned, "Well, I'm Muslim and that means that I wash with water every time I use the bathroom." My doctor smiled and commented, "What a wonderful practice." [:)]

That is a really good point (Re: Prophetic saying addressing vaginal discharges) - I think in general there was a much healthier attitude towards sex and bodily functions and fluids in the Prophet's time than in some of our Euro-centric cultures - even today. Even the sexual fluid from a woman is addressed (just glancing over Jurisprudence texts here). What a much healthier attitude. Since I have had to start learning about the rules regarding purity, I have had the opportunity to learn so much more about my body than I probably would have normally. Even the concept of washing with water, not just toilet paper, when going to the bathroom is a big deal (I know that probably sounds like I'm wacky!!! But I never learnt it as a kid obviously, so it was a BIG deal when I learnt that's what Muslims need to do).
  • Options
    OK after sex, unless it's outside, I always wash up, you got to at least clean up the area. Besides who wants to walk around smelling like sweaty sex all day long. If there is a biget around I'll use it, I keep sanitary wipes in my bathroom (so much more refreshing) and I'll normally take care of busness right before I shower anyway.

As for liquid waste. Shake it three times and your good (for the guys anyway). I've never had a problem splashing urine back on me. Maybe when I was 5, but I've mastered the aim now, no problems.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Snoop
    If urine were betting for cleaning yourself than water, then why not start washing your dishes in urine?

No one said they clean themselves in urine, mate.
    Originally posted by Snoop
    Or, when finished going to the bathroom, wash your hands in the urine? Of course we don't do that, becuase urine is an ideal place for certain nasty things to grow.

There's also the fact that I really don't want my hands to stink of piss. :p

Now, you're probably going to turn that against me and say 'Oh, so you don't want your hands to stink of piss but you don't mind other parts doing so...' but I really don't want to get into the minor details of pissing and cleaning be it with toilet paper or water so off I toddle to bed with a final few words being...

...each to their own.
  • Options
    just wondering about girls with the pantie sheild things?
    cant u use those?? also for guys?? i know i get sweatty down there in the summer time and my undies get all wet..
  • Options
    If you get sweaty use powder. It keeps you crisp and dry, works a lot better than going to the bathroom every 5 min and washing your junk. Gold bond is fun, ahh the tingle, very refreshing