Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sobering Up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all, its been a while...

I had a life changing epiphany in therapy a few weeks, that the root of all my problems is drugs and alcohol. So I'm trying to give it all up. But its really really hard. I'm only 23 and my lifestyle revolves around partying and late nights. Last week I had a good week, I managed 3 whole sober days. This week I've managed none. My therapist is keen for me to try out AA but I'm not so sure...any one have any experiences/advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you really believe that the root of your problems are alcohol and drugs, and your problems are issues large enough to warrant rectifying, then you'll test your hypothesis.

What's that Human Traffic quote? "When the come-down outweighs the good times you know the party is over, man".
    AA is one of the best ways to sober up, you take the 12 step AA program and it helps amazingly..you just have to go literaly every single day for it to work out
    I've heard good things about AA, gotta give it a shot one time to see what i'm missing.
    I heard AA is a bit Christian-face.
    Not really. They do emphasize a "higher power" but that is up to your own choosing and interpretation. It could be your family, friends, whatever keeps you going. There are also groups which cater to your ideals and what you would feel most comfortable with, like specifically for athiest or agnostic, segregrated by age, gender, lgbt, non-smoking, breakfast groups, for hearing impared, open meetings, closed meetings... the list goes on.
    Just for alcohol or other drugs too?
    AA is for alcohol, not sure what is in the UK but in the US I know of NA (narcotics anon), which is the same 12-step program but geared towards drugs, often times there are groups for specific drugs as well. Not that you have to join a different group for each different issue, just to try and figure out what type of people and format you want to be around.
    AA is good for religious people; I’m not sure about the rest…
    I think that the better approach is a special therapy, when you become disguised by drugs and alcohol. Then you don’t have cravings to consume them.
    I have a problem with Alcohol, but now i don't even enjoy drinking, thats why I've decided to stop drinking, and the hangovers are to much now, i can't handle them like i used to, if i go on a week long session then stop,i can feel the poison coming out of me
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey girl_gunner,

It's so positive to see that you're looking to make changes in your life around drugs and alcohol use. :)

It can be really tough to just give up everything in one go and may even be dangerous to do rather than cutting down over a period of time. TheSite.org's article on cutting down on drink offers some good tips for this:

http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/drinking/responsibledrinking/cuttingdownondrink

There's also one on staying off drugs:

http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/drugsafety/addiction/stayingoffdrugs

Check out the 'next steps' boxes on the right-hand side too.

One of the important things to consider when thinking about weaning yourself off drugs and alcohol is finding activities to replace the time you would spend drinking or taking drugs. Organisations like AA can help with this, but it can also be good to look to other local groups for inspiration or perhaps think about career/study/volunteer options based on your interests. www.do-it.org.uk may be a good place to start.

Keep posting and let us know how you're getting on. Sometimes it's just about finding that ongoing support to spur you on when times are tough. Try not to be hard on yourself if some days seem harder than others and remember that you've made a really positive decision to make this life change and it may take a little while to find the best ways forward in your specific circumstances.

:)
    I never replied to this at the time, but I did read all the replies :)

I haven't given AA a chance yet, I'm so reluctant to for many reasons and have managed to get my drinking a bit more under control for now, dealing with other problems before I really tackle this one! I do CDT which has been really helpful in recognising when I want to launch into a bender.
    I guess most of my reluctance to really get stuck in is to do with my age...I feel like I'm very young to be suggesting I'm already an alcoholic...I don't know.

But yes things have been better.
    Thanks
    all the best, these things can be so difficult at times, dont give in, your stronger than you think
    All I would say is although you may have a substance abuse problem it is unlikely that is the only issue (or even the main one). People very rarely abuse drugs without a reason, while you remove the drugs/alcohol I suggest you look into that. Good luck.