Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ed Miliband is the new leader of the Labour party

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11412031
Ed Miliband is the new Labour leader, it has been announced at a special conference in Manchester.

He beat brother David by the wafer thin margin of 50.65% to 49.35% after second, third and fourth preference votes came into play.

Ed Balls was third, Andy Burnham fourth and Diane Abbott last in the ballot of Labour members and trade unionists.

Mr Miliband, 40, replaces acting leader Harriet Harman in the contest triggered by the resignation of Gordon Brown.

He paid tribute to each of his fellow candidates in turn and told the conference: "Today we draw a line under this contest and move forward united as a team."

The shadow energy secretary appears to have benefited from a last-minute surge of support before voting in the postal ballot closed on Wednesday.

Older brother David won a majority of support from Labour's MPs at Westminster, but appears to have been defeated due to Ed's dominance among trade unions and grassroots activists in Labour's electoral college voting system.

BBC political editor Nick Robinson said in the first three rounds of voting David Miliband was ahead - it was only when votes were reallocated as the other candidates were knocked out that his younger brother was pushed over the winning line.

Mr Miliband hugged David after the result was announced. In his victory speech, he vowed to unify the party, telling delegates "The Labour Party in the future must be a vehicle that doesn't just attract thousands of young people but tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of young people who see us as their voice in British politics today."

He paid tribute to his predecessors Gordon Brown and Tony Blair, but added: "We lost the election and we lost it badly. My message to the country is this: I know we lost trust, I know we lost touch, I know we need to change.

"Today a new generation has taken charge of Labour, a new generation that understands the call of change."

He added: "Today's election turns the page because a new generation has stepped forward to serve our party and in time I hope to serve our country. Today the work of the new generation begins."

Mr Miliband received a standing ovation from delegates as he made his way from the hall, with David at his side.

I'm glad it is Ed Miliband, I think he will be a good leader and I'm glad that the new leader has the support of the unions. I hope he chooses Ed Balls as his shadow chancellor, not least because Ed Balls constituency about 5 miles down the road from me. Who did you want to see win the leadership contest? What do you think of the result?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am glad Ed won it, i think he is much more in tune with what Labour traditionly stand for maybe not a landslide victory but i think that shows the bredth of talent in the party right now.
    I thought Gordon Brown gave an excellent speech he really showed a diffrent side to himself.
    Nice that he mentioned John Brown as well, during my politics studies i came to realise that he really was the man who put everything in place for Labour to go forward and challenge the tories a true Labour leader looking out for the working classes.
    I really hope Ed can put together a young positive team that can build a future goverment built on proper Labour principals.
    The last thing Labour needs is Ed Balls anywhere in the Shadow Cabinet. He was one of Brown's henchmen.
    I would have picked a Milliband, as they have the best chance. I would have picked David though.
    MoK wrote: »
    The last thing Labour needs is Ed Balls anywhere in the Shadow Cabinet. He was one of Brown's henchmen.

To be honest Ed Miliband would be mad not to put Balls in the Cabinet. Over the last few months he's been the only mainstream Labour candidate who's been able to offer an alternative to the Government; I happen to think that alternative's wrong, but Labour need to have someone as Shadow Chancellor who's narrative is a bit more complex than 'ya boo sucks' and can offer a compelling alternative.
    To be honest Ed Miliband would be mad not to put Balls in the Cabinet.

Only because he can be so destructive, not for anything positive. Better to have your enemies where you can keep an eye on them. After Charlie Whelan was sacked, Balls was the media "briefer" for Brown allegedly.

Having said that, EM is a Brownite, isn't he?
    Only because he can be so destructive, not for anything positive. Better to have your enemies where you can keep an eye on them. After Charlie Whelan was sacked, Balls was the media "briefer" for Brown allegedly.

I don't like Balls, but he's a canny politician, able to hit the Tories and Labour are so low in talent they can't afford not to use the quality people they've got.
    I don't like Balls, but he's a canny politician, able to hit the Tories and Labour are so low in talent they can't afford not to use the quality people they've got.

That's what Blair says about Brown and he turned out to be a more effective opposition than the Tories were :)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/09/is_ed_miliband_the_right_choic.html

Astonishing about of bile on the BBC Have Your Say page, but I think it is par the course for the Have Your Say pages.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/09/is_ed_miliband_the_right_choic.html

Astonishing about of bile on the BBC Have Your Say page, but I think it is par the course for the Have Your Say pages.

http://ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere.com/

suits the bbc have your say bit

If memory serves, he was special advisor to the Treasury when GB was Chancellor.

It's all swings and roundabouts of course. I think the logic went as follows:

- David Milliband; was too close to Brown
    - Diane Abbott; metal
    - Andy Burnham; who?
    - Ed Balls; just for the love of God no

Still, given that car crash of a speech following his victory, let's hope some of Brown's charisma, charm and media savvy has rubbed off on him...
    If memory serves, he was special advisor to the Treasury when GB was Chancellor.

:yes:
    - David Milliband; was too close to Brown

DM was one of Blair's policy wonks and a major architect of the New Labour movement. So, the problem with him, in this election, was that he was too New Labour.

Once again Labour seem to think that they lost the election because they weren't left wing enough. The fools. It's that which made them unelectable in the 80s and 90s and it will again.

Totally agree on the Diane Abbot and Andy Burnham issue though.
    - Ed Balls; just for the love of God no

This is the man who stands accused of briefing against Campbell and especially Blair. He is alleged to have been the source of all of the stories against Blair leading up to his announcement that he would resign.

To a certain extent, we can blame him for Brown becoming PM.
    Still, given that car crash of a speech following his victory, let's hope some of Brown's charisma, charm and media savvy has rubbed off on him...

I find it a real shame that people will vote on that basis rather than on the policies each leader will espouse. They will of course.
    This is the man who stands accused of briefing against Campbell and especially Blair. He is alleged to have been the source of all of the stories against Blair leading up to his announcement that he would resign.

I think that the top brass in Labour think that Balls will serve a purpose, but you wouldn't want him in charge. I suppose you'd want him more as an ally than an enemy.
    I find it a real shame that people will vote on that basis rather than on the policies each leader will espouse. They will of course.

I won't be voting Labour anyway :D

Seriously though, given the media age in which we live, where every nuance of every syllable uttered under the public eye is scrutinised, if Ed wants to win the next election, he better develop media savvy quick smart.
    I think that the top brass in Labour think that Balls will serve a purpose, but you wouldn't want him in charge. I suppose you'd want him more as an ally than an enemy.

As I said to Flash earlier, that's what Blair thought about Brown and Brown turned into a more effective opposition than the Tories were. Problem with having people like this close is that they have the ability to be more destructive on the inside than when they are out of the loop.

Blair's reforms would have gone so much further without Brown doing his best to block them and his henchmen doing their best to undermine him.
    I won't be voting Labour anyway :D

Nah, you'll be voting for the sharp suited waxwork...
    Where's SG? I haven't seen him in a while. I was expecting to read some 'c**ting* etc ... unless he is still thinking of a metaphor suitable for 'Ed Miliband'. I can barely contain myself.
    It was always going to be one of the Milibands, though politically the Blairite and Brownite wings weren't that far apart. The difference was in spin terms which was as much about how Brown presented himself as a Labour man and Blair presented himself as a new beginning.

Abbot was the left of the party and they have all but disappeared, either to other parties, out of politics or (literally) died out

I can't see why Andy burnham even entered, he was a complete non-entity - though he's probably raised his profile enough to get a decent Shadow Cabinet job, so that may be an explanation.

I rate Balls as an attack dog, which is what Labour want. He's also intelligent and seems to be one of the few politicians who are advancing a credible alternative to the Govt economic policy. Probably not a good leader (he'd have split the party in weeks), but a good political bruiser, even if best kept on a leash
    Am I all politiced out? I just don't freaking care... All I want to do is have enough money to survive, with enough food and heat and a few basic things like furniture and clothes for me and my family. 'Politics' just seems so removed from my day-to-day existence I kinda couldn't give a fuck.
    Don't they both have an older brother called Glenn?
    :lol:
    Don't they both have an older brother called Glenn?

Bindun :p
    So, the brother Ed and David have both already public stating their candidacy for the Labour Leader post.

How long do you think that the third, lesser know political brother Glenn announces? We haven't heard from him in quite a while...
    Ed Miliband said his "new generation" would take Labour back to power, in his first big speech as party leader.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11417906

I think this speech shows that Ed Miliband is the leader that Labour needs, that he will not spend the next five years trying to justify the previous government in the face of public disillusionment. It shows that he is prepared to challenge the coalition government and return the Labour party to power in the interest of the British public; in the face of the disheartened aspiration to a geared down nation embodied by the Conservative party and its "austerity budget".

This enthusiasm "austerity" is a nostalgia of the middle class for a time when they were in control of local government spending through their social ties and could enforce their dour sensibilities on the wider public.