Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

how long after abortion?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i just had an abortion about a month ago now and i was beeding for a week and a half then it stoped then a few days later started bleeding then stopped again for about 2 days. i started bleeding one time after sex a few hours later. now it has stopped. its not like pure red blood its like a kind of pink sometimes dark red/brown. the nurses werent very helpful after the actual abortion with everything. so how long does it usually take before you get back to your regular cycle? and is this normal? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    it would be normal for your cycle to be messed up for a little while.
    If you start losing large clots, then speak to your doctor or the hospital, but the blood you describe sounds like old blood and unlikely to be anything to worry about.
  • Options
    From what I remember you should get your first period around 6 weeks after abortion. If you're not losing a lot of blood and there's no obvious signs of infection such as smell, itching I'd try not to be too concerned. Also if you've changed contraception since the abortion this could also affect your cycle. If you feel worried you could have a word with your GP to put your mind at rest. Also remember it's advisable to go for a checkup with your GP or sexual health clinic around 2 weeks after you stop bleeding.

Take care
  • Options
    Hi Remorria,

Hope you are feeling ok today. It can take a while for bleeding to stop/ settle down - TheSite.org has an article on recovering from an abortion which you might find helpful to look at if you haven't already.

Doctors also sometimes recommend ensuring you have enough iron and vit B12 in your diet if you are bleeding a lot/have heavy or close together periods - so might be something to think about - especially if you start to feel tired more often. Iron supplements are pretty cheap from a chemist or just make sure you get a balanced diet containing foods such as red meat, liver, eggs, dried fruit, nuts, seeds and pulses.

Hope all is well :)