Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hayao Miyazaki films

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I like watching a bit of anime and I must say that I was blown away by Howl's Moving Castle. I liked how the castle's exit door could lead you to predetermined places depending on what colour an arrow was pointing on above the door. When the castle is partially destroyed mid-film, Howl was able to carry out repairs, add a new room for the lead girl Sophie and add a couple of new destinations for the exit door. That type of fantasy with the door and the castle's recreation reminded me of Doctor Who. Anyway, no spoilers here in case people haven't watched it yet.

There are also other films directed by Hayao Miyazaki. I know Howl's, Totoro and Spirited Away are the main 3, but there's Princess Mononoke and others too. I wondered if you guys have seen these and which one you liked the most?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    not seen them yet.

from what you've described they sound awsome.

:hyper:

will give me something new to check out
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Princess Mononoke is the best one.
    Weekender Offender 
    :heart: howl's moving castle
    Yeah Mononoke is the best. Spirited Away a close second. Totoro has to be one of the greatest kids films ever made too.
    I've seen a few of them - Sprited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service, but My Neighbour Totoro is my all time favourite. Probs because I'm a just a big kid, really :D
    I'm torn between Howl's moving castle or spirited away as my favourite. Such high quality stories and animation
    I felt Laputa and Totoro are more aimed at kids, whilst the other ones appeal a lot better to a wider age range, especially Spirited Away.

Howl's is my favourite because of the characters and it has more of a story than Spirited Away, which concentrates more on the fantasy, animation side of things.

Nausicaa was one of my least favourites, it has a couple memorable bits bit it seems to drag on for ages!
    Thanks for everyone's input. It makes me realise that there are other I can see too.
    I hated Howl's moving castle the first time I saw it, but then I'm a Diana Wynne-Jones fan.

When I reset my expectations I enjoyed it.
    rosszero wrote: »
    Nausicaa was one of my least favourites, it has a couple memorable bits bit it seems to drag on for ages!

I didn't like it much either but mainly because I've read the graphic novel (a few times) and the anime doesn't even come close to covering the entire story. If I recall correctly he had agreed to make and finish the anime long before he actually finished the story.
    The graphic novel I love, however. Just finished reading it once again two weeks ago. Lady Kushana is one of my all-time favorite heroines. :)

I love how simple his stories often are and yet so intriguing. Spirited Away and Totoro are especially beautiful. Princess Mononoke is also great (and partially made because he felt Nausicaa was too simplistic in portraying man vs. nature). I also really enjoy Howl's Moving Castle.

This thread reminds me I was going to re-watch Porco Rosso and Kiki's Delivery Service.