Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

telewest box

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello. I took a lease of council property in 2009. The flat was empty and the only TV ariel was a telewest box. Would this box work for Freeview? Does it connect to the rooftop ariel? Do I need to contact telewest(virgin) and have them do anything?

I'm waiting for my Dad to come round and have a look but It'd be nice to know what parts he needs to bring with him.

Comments

• Options
    The changeover to Virgin took place in 2006, so you have a very old box there I'm sorry to say.

Even if it did work, it'll only work if you're an active customer of Virgin, who took over the old cable companies. The guys who lived in your council house up to 2009 were probably Telewest customers and then cancelled it when they moved out. They should have given the box back to Virgin but they obviously didn't. It's not too serious though because we are talking, after all, about a box that is 4+ years old. The box has no value at all.

Your options:

1. Become a paying member of Virgin and they'll dish out a contemporary box to you.

2. Buy a freeview box.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    The changeover to Virgin took place in 2006, so you have a very old box there I'm sorry to say.

Even if it did work, it'll only work if you're an active customer of Virgin, who took over the old cable companies. The guys who lived in your council house up to 2009 were probably Telewest customers and then cancelled it when they moved out. They should have given the box back to Virgin but they obviously didn't. It's not too serious though because we are talking, after all, about a box that is 4+ years old. The box has no value at all.

Your options:

1. Become a paying member of Virgin and they'll dish out a contemporary box to you.

2. Buy a freeview box.

sorry perhaps i wasn't clear about boxes and wallsockets. The wall has a socket screwed to it branded with telewest. There was no set top box left here. We tried connecting the telewest wall box to the TV.

It's a maisonette with 4 flats. There are 4 rooftop arials on the chimney but after rumaging through the fibre glass (hazardous) we couldn't see the wire anywhere in the loft. My dad found a severed BT line though ;)
    I'm going to ring up for freesat or join sky because the new homebass aerial didn't work at all. Just my luck! I've never been lucky with TV aerials.
  • Options
    The telewest outlet would be a cable outlet, so fairly likely you'd be able to get virgin cable now.