Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

can you get a job you aren't qualified for/without experience?

basically, i've started to apply for new jobs (for a number of reasons).

anyway, the things i've started to apply for are a bit out of my league imo but you know, you've got to give it a try otherwise you'll always be stuck in a job you don't want to be in/unemployed!

has anyone ever applied for a job even though they didn't have the experience/qualifications required and got it? i'd like to think that it is possible.

i am applying for jobs that i genuinely think i'd be good at. jobs that are similar to the one i have now in a way. i have many transferable skills. i mean, i'm being realistic, i'm not applying for jobs where they are asking for a specific degree or anything but i am applying for jobs where in the person specification, they are asking for experience in something i don't have!

just wanting to know if i'm wasting my time really!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is exactly what I do - I remember reading some research when I was doing my degree which found that, on average, men will apply for a job 3 years before they're qualified for it, whereas women won't apply until 5 years AFTER they're qualified. Glass ceiling or lack of confidence?

At the end of the day, if they need someone in post they'll take the best candidate that applies rather than readvertising until they find someone who ticks all the boxes. If you're a fast learner or committed to doing well and you make that clear, they'll know that you can handle the learning curve and get up to speed.

Go for it. Totally.
  • Options
    It rather depends on the sort of job you are applying for and the likely number of applicants you will be up against. If, for instance, you were applying for a job in IT without experience or qualifications, I would tell you to forget it. Every IT job that we advertised, however junior, used to attract hundreds of well qualified and/or experienced applicants, desperate to get their foot on the career ladder. On the other hand, there are jobs out there that rely on skills that could genuinely be transferrable from other backgrounds.

Also, when reading the advertisement and job description, do be realistic about the type of person they are looking for. One of our recruiting managers once put out a badly-worded advert for a Smoking Cessation Co-ordinator, asking for "experience" and "the ability to influence others". It was quite a highly paid post and was intended to attract people with experience of project management, but we were swamped with applications from people who had managed to give up smoking themselves ... :banghead:

Just be mindful of the likely competition and tailor your CV and covering letter to show how you match the criteria for the post.
  • Options
    agree with both responses. plus, everyone has to start somewhere right? sometimes i dont think employers realise this when only considering those with experience. also- it wouldnt hurt to try? :) if you have a decent cv that has been tailored to that position like overthehill said, then i think it gives you a very good chance.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi,

A person specification is a bit like trying to write a would-like-to-meet advert: you probably think you know what you like but the chances are the person who will sweep you off your feet will be nothing like that. So nothing wrong with giving it a go if you genuinely think you could do the job and gain the skills required quickly.

Just a couple of points of caution. Firstly, no-one likes an application that starts "I don't meet the requirements of the job, but I think I'd be very good at this job if you gave me a chance." It just screams out that you are a potential liability to the organisation.

You need to use that to your advantage and convince an employer that the areas you are weak in you have appropriate skills that demonstrate you can easily pick up what is needed or use different skills in place of what you are lacking. For example, if you have no direct sales experience a background in training or customer service may be acceptable because although you weren't winning sales you have good communication skills.

Secondly, bear in mind that many (but not all) larger/public sector organisations do points-based assessments to ensure fair selection: therefore are more likely to penalise someone who doesn't fit an agreed criteria. If you want to get a job outside of your area of expertise then you are better trying smaller organisations, which may also be more interested in the skills you can bring to the organisation.

Hope this helps...

Olly
  • Options
    Put it this way, I guarantee that you won't get the job if you don't apply. At least you stand a chance, albeit slim, if you do.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Put it this way, I guarantee that you won't get the job if you don't apply. At least you stand a chance, albeit slim, if you do.

^^ Agreed. I wasn't going to apply for my last job as it was way above me but I went for it and got it. Now I am further ahead in my career than I would have been if I never applied.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Yes. bullshit will get you far.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You'll find a lot comes down to transferable skills and it's usually one of the most important factors to sucsessfully getting any job. Of course so long as your not choosing a job that requires specific qualifications, then go for it, if you manage to get the job you're not going to look back and I wouldn't say its a waste of time at all, although do listen to any feedback from a prospective employer that you get in your job hunting.
  • Options
    has anyone ever applied for a job even though they didn't have the experience/qualifications required and got it? i'd like to think that it is possible.

After college, around 8 yrs ago. I must have applied for at least 50 jobs in one week where I didn't have the 'right' experience/qualifications. I only received about 1 or 2 interviews.

So yeah it is possible to apply for jobs you haven't got any exp'/quals' in.