Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Pope

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wonder what God of Schmuck's opinion on the Pope's visit is... :chin:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Hmmmm. I get what you're saying but Fry did briefly point out why he thinks the Vatican isn't a 'state'. He may have expounded more but the clip is very limited of time.

Having said that, the Vatican is only 0.17 square miles, has around 830 inhabitants, it is not a member of the United Nations, it has no diplomatic service (it's the Holy See that conducts diplomatic relations on its behalf), does not host embassies etc. It's only called a 'state' because of Mussolini's treaty back in 1929.

So we are hosting a 'state' visit, costing millions of Pounds, for somewhere that is in all reality, is just a bunch of mainly religious buildings and open spaces - a sort of supersize church building in a way.

Like Fry's statement, that is a renunciation (diplomats and embassies aside) rather than a definition.
  • Options
    I wonder what God of Schmuck's opinion on the Pope's visit is... :chin:

Entertainment.

Much like a lot of the shenanigans that goes on in the world, I will treat it as a spectator sport. (Akin to sky sports but without the subscription fee).

A pre match observation would be that Team Catholic are the better team players. Obedience and loyalty shining through.

Those that have chosen HM Government as their secular God (through one means or another) would exhibit those same attributes by not bitching about their God's decisions, surely ?
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    But we're shelling out for it though. All of the policing involved and half of the transport / accommodation (I wonder if that includes the popemobil?)etc is being paid for by the tax payer. It's looking to be about 20mil, all told
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/15/popes-visit-your-essential-guide

What I meant about the Pope is that joey public shouldn't be footing the bill. I used the Michael Jackson comparison to say that MJ fans pay their tickets to see him. The tour would have made millions from the ticket sales. That's how MJ is paid. So in a similar vein, that's also how the Pope should be paid. From fans. Not the taxpayer. Same with church services. They hand a pot around where churchgoers put money into it.
  • Options
    Those that have chosen HM Government as their secular God (through one means or another) would exhibit those same attributes by not bitching about their God's decisions, surely ?

Yeah, clearly voting and faith are directly comparable.
  • Options
    Spotted at venue of Pope visit:

jsxy.jpg
  • Options
    :d Please tell me someone has "careful now."
  • Options
    Like Fry's statement, that is a renunciation (diplomats and embassies aside) rather than a definition.

What would your definition of a state be, as a matter of interest?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    He's prick, unfortunately a dangerous prick with a lot o bullshit that a lot of idiots believe.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    :d Please tell me someone has "careful now."

Oh how i sooooooo wish someone would put on a housecoat, badly done make-up and rush up to the pope with a cup and saucer and say 'Tea father ?' :)
  • Options
    http://yfrog.com/j4k9ijj

Careful Now. I love British humour...
  • Options
    What did people think of the demo?

I didn't really enjoy it tbh... The speakers were mostly uninspiring (but then I am not an atheist) and people were shouting anti-religious things at the gay priest... Which was a bit... Um... :no: Some people were shouting "SHAME" at families going to see the Pope as well...

Well done big man, go try to intimidate some kids! :rolleyes:

I really liked Pragna Patel's speech though and Johann Hari was quite cool... I am anti-Pope in what he has done, but I have Christian and Muslim friends and I'm not anti-religion, which was what I felt a lot of the demo seemed to be about (though given who it was organised by, it was niave to think this'd be more interfaith and encompassing).

The best thing I heard shouted was "I hate religion, they're all bigots!"

LOL
  • Options
    It's like the Soviets vs the Nazis and Iran vs Iraq in that its a shame they both can't loose...

Both the pope and the opposition to him come over as mad as a box of frogs, trying to beat each other with more and more extremist statements and loosing any connection with reality.
  • Options
    "mad as a box of frogs" hmmmmmm hope you mean french people?? lmao
    I gotta admit im not interested in religion, except as a survivor of sexual abuse i read into this with some horror.....why on earth was he chosen to be pope when he let so many get away with what they did? they swept it all under the carpet hoping it would go away! and as for the "State" visit, what i pile of shite! why should we pay for some homophobic old fart to come to britain??? oh n also another thing.......HOW DOES PRAYING CURE AIDS???
  • Options
    why should we pay for some homophobic old fart to come to britain???

Because he's a head of state. Just as we would pay for a philandering, corrupt racist to pop over from Italy, and just as other countries would pay for the PM to go abroad on state visits. Diplomacy innit.
  • Options
    prolly over ridin the countries finest altar boys *hug*
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Yeah, clearly voting and faith are directly comparable.

Thou shalt make no covenant with alien and foreign gods. ;)
  • Options
    Erm... ok
  • Options
    Erm... ok

I guess he does see secular governments and God as equatable. Lord knows what he makes of theocratic governments.
  • Options
    I guess he does see secular governments and God as equatable. Lord knows what he makes of theocratic governments.

More rivals for your affections.

You have to obey someone's rules as you go through life (if you know what is good for you ;) ).

Take your pick.
  • Options
    Carrey_Riddler.jpg
  • Options
    Carrey_Riddler.jpg

17th century lawyer John Bradshaw succinctly summed it up as "Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God".

(I think King Charles lost his mind understanding the riddle ;) )
  • Options
    17th century lawyer John Bradshaw succinctly summed it up as "Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God".

Meh. That's just swapping one for another.
  • Options
    I deliberately stayed away from all pope- related media when he was here. Probably a bad idea, I could've been more indignant if I knew what was going on :d
  • Options
    n32kns.jpg
  • Options
    Meh. That's just swapping one for another.

Perhaps.

However,you are still left with a path to take in your quest to find the perfect Law of liberty.

I wish you well.