Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What can I do about my mattress?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I live in a shared house and the empty room downstairs has just been bought a new mattress by our landlord (who is really lovely) because the person who lived in there before smoked and the mattress smelled of smoke. ANYway I was wondering if I would be able to get one too as the mattress in my room is very old and not very comfy at all. I think its a little unfair that the new person will get a new comfy one and I am going to be stuck with the old crap one.

Am I entitled to ask him to get a new one or will I have to buy it myself? I pay for the room monthly and it came furnished. I pay bills seperatly also. No one else in the house wants a new mattress but me so will that help? I text him and asked him how much the new mattress cost and that if it isnt alot of money I would buy one myself if he could get it for me. I just feel its a little unfair is all. He text me back saying it cost £79 and that seems like alot of money...

Any info would be nice c:

Comments

• Options
    Hi Patience

Did you ask your landlord first if he would replace the mattress or just how much a new one would cost? Landlords don't tend to like to spend money unless they have to, so if he thinks you're prepared to pay he's going to want to let you do so. But if your's is worn and uncomfy there shouldn't be a problem with him replacing it and it shouldn't be at a cost to you really.
  • Options
    Hey there Patience,

It seems like you're in a bit of a tricky situation at the moment with your landlord and your mattress.

It is important to remember that your landlord is not obliged to provide furniture that is 'comfortable' as this is very subjective; one person's comfortable is not another person's. However, a landlord does have to provide fit for purpose goods (if it is furnished of course).

It's always a good idea to ask your landlord (politely) if they will replace whatever it is that you feel needs replacing in the first instance; in this case your mattress. The worst they can say is no, and you haven't really lost anything, so you are not in a worse position.

Just remember that landlords are normal people and most are open to negotiation.

Let us know how you get on! :)
  • Options
    patience wrote: »
    I just feel its a little unfair is all. He text me back saying it cost £79 and that seems like alot of money...

Any info would be nice c:

Personally i'd ask if he would mind replacing it if i'd pay half towards it or something.

As for £79, i think that sounds pretty reasonable, mine was £279ish, but that was for a double one, and it's a memory foam one (they aren't that great to be honest)

So for a single standard springed mattress, i think £79 is about right, could always have a quick search on argos, dreams etc... and see how much they are