Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I dont understand mortgages

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive been looking at banks websites but i still am confused about mortages, what does interest only mean?

How do you calculate the total to repay?

If the rate of a mortgage is 4.37% and i borrowed 150k, how to i calculate the total i repay?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lots of thins to take into consideration of course, but a basi repayment mrotgage, capitla and ineterest would be

£150,000 @ 4.73% over 25 years is £863 per month, £10,356 per year.

Total repayment £258,900.

(i've rounded off pence, but that's pretty good idea of the sums)

Interest only, as i understand it is, you just pay the interest on the loan. You then set up an endowment/pension policy which you pay into and , hopefully, after the end of the term (25 years say) you've accumulated enough money to pay off the original mortgage.

The interest only repayment for the above is £591 per month
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Lots of thins to take into consideration of course, but a basi repayment mrotgage, capitla and ineterest would be

Interest only, as i understand it is, you just pay the interest on the loan. You then set up an endowment/pension policy which you pay into and , hopefully, after the end of the term (25 years say) you've accumulated enough money to pay off the original mortgage.

The interest only repayment for the above is £591 per month
    Thanks very much for explaining that, i think interest only is a bad idea, as if we pay just the interest instead of the full amount, the differance that will be saved over the 25 years i calculated to be £81600 which falls short by £70k

To be honest im not sure what an endowqment policy is but it does seem risky, id rather pay the fixed amount and know the house is mine after 25 years, i think thats a good deal, its horrible thinking you have to lose over 100k but its better that renting for about the same amount. Just gotta get that deposit...:thumb:
    Endowment, as i understand it, is like a bit like having savings account. You put money in every month and it accrues interest from your money being used on the stock market then the interest accrues interest and so on and so on. That's a pretty simple explanation, so i can understand it :p My parents had an endowment and when it matured they paid off the mortgage and had £45,000 left over, which was theirs.

Endowment also means how big your cock is :D
    Just to add, if you paid in the difference per month (£272) £272 per month with an interest rate of 5% will give you £160,000 in 25 years time. SO that'd pay off the original mortgage and give you £10,000 which by 2035 will probably be enough for fish and chips for 2 and a can of Fanta :D

Endowment also means how big your cock is :D

Hmm, does that mean it can go up or down, ultimately getting smaller as i get older haha :d

Seriously that is great for your parents that really paid off nicely for them, there must a be a risk of not making a nice return on it if the shares dont do well though right?

Just to add, if you paid in the difference per month (£272) £272 per month with an interest rate of 5% will give you £160,000 in 25 years time. SO that'd pay off the original mortgage and give you £10,000 which by 2035 will probably be enough for fish and chips for 2 and a can of Fanta :D

VERY GOOD POINT...
    Yeah there is a risk. My parents paid off thier mortgage about 1997, so they were a bit fortunate on their fund in the boom and bust days of the 80s early 90s. Currently, i would of thought, endowment mortgages don't look all that good because of the poor interest rate
    Hey there,

It seems like you have managed to obtain some answers already from the other users, which is great. Especially liked Rubberskin's explanation;

:yes:

I just wanted to direct you to other sources of information. The Money Made Clear website has a Mortgage section with lots of advice.
    They also have a Mortgage Calculator which could help you understand all the mortgages out there and the financial implications of each.

Hope this helps.

:)
    Bear in mind that interest rates, while they might be fixed for, say, two years, after that revert to variable such as Base Rate + 3%. Given rates are likely to go up in 9-12 months this should also be factored in, as a rise will obviously make your monthly payments more expensive.