Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

urgent job offer question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was offered a new job a month ago. I handed my notice in at my old work place and was due to start my new job on Monday - on a full time, permanent basis. However, today they phoned and said they are having financial trouble (not the company as a whole, just the bit I'm working for) and they can no longer afford to take me on as full time and permanent. Instead they have offered me a freelance work for 12 weeks. That's it. They can offer me nothing after 12 weeks (they said something might come up in the company, but I wouldnt automatically get it, I would have to apply like everyone else) I had the contract for my job last week, signed it and sent it to them back agreeing to the orginal offer.

I have paid a deposit and a months rent on a new house, hired a removal van all ready to move at the weekend. I doubt I will get much/any of the house deposit back, that's if I can get out of the contract at akk. After 12 weeks I will also have no job. Possibly less than that as it's a freelance contract so technically they can do what they like.

Can they do this? Is there anything I can do? They are going back on their agreement, I have paid £1000+ on a house deposit and rent and I will have no job. Plus, if I can't get out of the housing contract I will have a years rent to pay. Obviously difficult if I end up with no job after 12 weeks.

Really don't know what to do.

Comments

• Options
    Difficult one as obviously you are out of pocket as a result. I think you need to take professional advice on this really.
  • Options
    I don't know what your rights are but I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry this has happened to you.

*hug*
  • Options
    Thanks :) What kind of professional advice - was going to maybe ask CAB?

Just can't believe they'd tell me with less than a week to go when I quite obviously would have agiven notice on my current house and job by now and put down a deposit on a new house ready to relocate. As I said, as it stands in 12 weeks time I will have no job and a house to pay for that I can't afford through no fault of my own.

It's just odd. They said they only found out yesterday. Surely they should have checked before they sent me the contract last week agreeing my job and pay as full time and permanent. Nothing like this was every mentioned.
  • Options
    I was thinking some kind of solicitor with experience in work related matters.
  • Options
    Ah right, thanks. Have just googled employment solicitors, will send a few emails and ring tomorrow.

I really have no idea what they can do but hopefully it will be something.
  • Options
  • Options
    1. This is disgusting behaviour on their part.
    2. Do you really want to work for this company anymore, anyway? I wouldn't.
    3. Your rights are seriously limited in this instance. I suspect that the most you can really expect is a months payment in lieu of notice. Technically you are less than 3 months into a contract and I'll bet that you have a clause in your contract which says that you are on probation for this period - you need to check that. If it's there then you are easy to dismiss during that timeframe.
  • Options
    Yes, definitely says i'm on probation for 3 months. And I'm not due to start til Monday. Hmm, that's not so great.

Don't want to work for them after this (though was an amazing job and would have been amazing experience for me, have never been so happy to get a job) but I don't have another job right now, obviously! So I don't know whether I should work the 12 weeks so I have money coming in? But doing that would mean moving there, then I would be stuck there paying rent on a house when I have no job once the 12 weeks are up. They said there is no chance of the situation changing.

If they would give me a months pay that would pay me back for the deposit and first months rent on the house which would be useful - providing I can get out of the house contract of course. Then I guess I would have to move home while I start looking for a new job which I don't want to do and I can't believe I would have to.

Do you think it's worth asking them about doing that? Should I talk to a solicitor or something first? Just worried because it's only 5 days before I'm due to start and I need to decide one way or another what to do.

I've given up my job and my house and got everything ready to relocate and paid over £1000 to end up with nothing. It's not like they told me say, a week after I handed my notice in when I may have been able to retract it. It's less than a week before I'm due to start.
  • Options
    just wanted to say along with others that it's really REALLY shit of them to do that and i feel for you. good luck
  • Options
    Definitely talk to a solicitor. You might have a claim relating to relocation, but I wouldn't hold my breath at this stage.

Worst case is do the 12 weeks, at least it's income. But start looking now - if your current employer hasn't replaced you, it's worth talking to them too...
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    I was thinking some kind of solicitor with experience in work related matters.

ACAS?
  • Options
    Advice so far from ACAS and a solicitor is that they are within their rights to do this, as shit as it is. And the most I can hope for is a week's wages.

Have asked my old job as they haven't replaced me yet but they're not sure. Will have to wait and see, I guess.
  • Options
    That's what I expected TBH. Fuckers that they are.
  • Options
    that is really wanky and unprofessional of them. i hope your old work takes you back.
  • Options
    Is there further follow up today Kat? There is nothing more that I can add to the thread but I'm interested to know how you got on.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Is there further follow up today Kat? There is nothing more that I can add to the thread but I'm interested to know how you got on.

no, nothing yet. still waiting to hear from my old work, so while i'm waiting i guess i'll start the 12 weeks on monday at this place just to have some money coming in. what's worse is that as it's freelance work instead of a permanent position, i obviously don't get paid for any holiday i take - had a few days i wanted to take off in november but thinking about not doing it as i can't afford to. also, if i happen to get offered intervies for new places, i'll have to take time off which i won't get paid for.

also found out they employed two of us. and told us both the same thing this week.