Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

American troops at it again.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anti-Spam wrote: »
    Hypothetically, what would it have been like if it had been British forces in the video?

No idea - us Brits aren't taught to love our country unconditionally like the yanks are. The Daily Mail would probably call them 'thugs' or something.
    All you've done here is reiterated your non sequiter: AARG said he thought it was a non-story, you say 'maybe to an American', he asks what's that meant to mean, and you start blathering on about Americans being super-indoctrinated to not hear a bad word about the military. The inference is that you think there is more to the story, but that he can't see it because he's conditioned not to. All you've done is attempt to explain why he can't see there's more to the story, and not explained why you think there is more to the story.

Unless you've been misleading and don't in fact think there is more to the story, then your argument becomes an absurd nonsense of 'well there isn't more to the story, but if there was you wouldn't be able to see it'.

(Sigh)

Is it really all that difficult?

AARG claimed it was a 'non-story' and I replied 'Maybe to an American". That much is true. However you're reading FAR too much in it and I have got no idea why.

Perhaps I should have padded it out a bit more by saying "Maybe to an American, seeing as your countrymen are indoctrined to dismiss any perceived attacks on your nation/constitution/armed forces, which is exactly what you are doing by calling it a 'non-story" but that doesn't really have the same ring to it and to be honest, I really didn't expect to have to spoon feed my view to anyone.
  • Options

Perhaps I should have padded it out a bit more by saying "Maybe to an American, seeing as your countrymen are indoctrined to dismiss any perceived attacks on your nation/constitution/armed forces, which is exactly what you are doing by calling it a 'non-story" but that doesn't really have the same ring to it and to be honest, I really didn't expect to have to spoon feed my view to anyone.

:rolleyes:

As charming as your crass generalizations about Americans are they don't make up for the fact that you're argument is cyclical in nature. The conversation might as well have gone...

AARJ: There isn't much significance to this story other than the fact that it shows how stupid people can behave.

GQ: Phh only if you're an ignorant, flag waving American.

AARJ: Ok, so what is the significance of this story?

GQ: The significance is that you're an ignorant, flag waving American and therefore can't see the significance.

It boarders on trolling. So I'm going to ask you one more time to explain exactly what significance you find with this story that I, in my ignorance, have missed and then I'm going to do my best to walk away from the issue. So... What does this story mean to you?
  • Options
    :rolleyes:

As charming as your crass generalizations about Americans are they don't make up for the fact that you're argument is cyclical in nature. The conversation might as well have gone...

AARJ: There isn't much significance to this story other than the fact that it shows how stupid people can behave.

GQ: Phh only if you're an ignorant, flag waving American.

AARJ: Ok, so what is the significance of this story?

GQ: The significance is that you're an ignorant, flag waving American and therefore can't see the significance.

It boarders on trolling. So I'm going to ask you one more time to explain exactly what significance you find with this story that I, in my ignorance, have missed and then I'm going to do my best to walk away from the issue. So... What does this story mean to you?

I openly admit I'm cynical - by and large I generally dislike american jingoism.

Notice I have not called you or any of your countrymen ignorant. YOU think I've said/implied it, but I haven't. I think most of you are blinded by your over-eager patriotism, but that's as far as it goes.

And I'm going to tell you one more time my point is because patriotism is buried so deeply in your psyche from a young age that if any criticism is aimed at an american institution, it is perceived by a great many of you as a personal attack. This would explain your "non-story" comment.

Now, do I need to explain it a 6th time?
  • Options

No. You need to explain it for the first time, cos you haven't yet.

The implication is that, to anyone but an American, there is more to this story. So what is the "more"?

No-one else here seems to have noticed it.
  • Options
    I openly admit I'm cynical - by and large I generally dislike american jingoism.

Notice I have not called you or any of your countrymen ignorant. YOU think I've said/implied it, but I haven't. I think most of you are blinded by your over-eager patriotism, but that's as far as it goes.

And I'm going to tell you one more time my point is because patriotism is buried so deeply in your psyche from a young age that if any criticism is aimed at an american institution, it is perceived by a great many of you as a personal attack. This would explain your "non-story" comment.

Wow fucking generalisation or what. Also complete bollocks and based more on your perception than any reality...

Personally I think others are being way too kind to you, because I think you're a racist cunt...
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    The implication is that, to anyone but an American, there is more to this story. So what is the "more"?

You're asking me to explain an implication I haven't made, so why don't you go ahead and make one up for me?
    Personally I think others are being way too kind to you, because I think you're a racist cunt...

Really. Wonder what my British Indian fiance would make of that one.
  • Options
    You're asking me to explain an implication I haven't made, so why don't you go ahead and make one up for me?

I explained it. Maybe you are too myopic to have seen that part.

When you said "maybe to an American", your suggestion implicit (actually explicit really) was that everyone else could see more to the story than any American would.

All people have asked of you is to explain what that additional aspect was. They are asking for your opinion of what extra is in this story.
    Really. Wonder what my British Indian fiance would make of that one.

That she's not American and so the accusation might still stand?
  • Options
    MoK wrote:
    When you said "maybe to an American", your suggestion implicit (actually explicit really) was that everyone else could see more to the story than any American would.

No, that's just what you read in to it. I have explained 5 times what it was I meant.

It almost seems you want me to be 'suggesting' something.
    MoK wrote:
    All people have asked of you is to explain what that additional aspect was. They are asking for your opinion of what extra is in this story.

And as I've saod several times, I can't tell you what the 'extra' is because I've not said I think there is one. I can't tell you what I don't perceive to be there. As I just said I've already explained what I meant.

MoK wrote:
    That she's not American and so the accusation might still stand?

Couldn't really care as I know I'm not racist but even so, I'm pretty sure americans are not a race. 'Xenophobe' would probably be a more appropriate slur.
  • Options

How is the story not a non-story?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Tbh that's pretty lame compared with some of the stuff that can be found elsewhere on the internet- posted by the soldiers themselves.

There are a lot of fucked up people out there.

:yes: tbh.

However, more to the point of why I came into this thread. The tangent it has taken is pretty ridiculous. I've read the whole thing over quite a few times and I'm not sure where the anger towards GQ stems from? OK, so reading it through as I said I have done lots of times, the outcome is pretty much as mr coathanger describes here:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showpost.php?p=2352662&postcount=31

But, this could of course have been expressed in a much fairer, less brutal way.

How you come to the conclusion that someone is a racist cunt because they recognise that American patriotism can be quite a force to be reckoned with is beyond me.

So, there seems to be three choices here - you either let it go and GQ can perhaps have a little time to come back with anything directly related to this story that he has views on. Or someone comes up with another related debate topic - perhaps about soldiers behaviour in general or something along those lines. Or I just close it.

But please guys, no more childish insults.
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    :yes: tbh.

However, more to the point of why I came into this thread. The tangent it has taken is pretty ridiculous. I've read the whole thing over quite a few times and I'm not sure where the anger towards GQ stems from? OK, so reading it through as I said I have done lots of times, the outcome is pretty much as mr coathanger describes here:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showpost.php?p=2352662&postcount=31

But, this could of course have been expressed in a much fairer, less brutal way.

How you come to the conclusion that someone is a racist cunt because they recognise that American patriotism can be quite a force to be reckoned with is beyond me.

So, there seems to be three choices here - you either let it go and GQ can perhaps have a little time to come back with anything directly related to this story that he has views on. Or someone comes up with another related debate topic - perhaps about soldiers behaviour in general or something along those lines. Or I just close it.

But please guys, no more childish insults.

I do it because quite frankly as someone with an American wife (and by extension half-American kids) I get pissed off with people making snotty and frankly racist generalisations which they wouldn't be allowed to do for anyone else.

So yes, I stand by my description...
  • Options
    *Le sigh*
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    *Le sigh*

Screw it dude. Nearly this entire thread has been based off of GQ's snide comment about me as an American. He has been given ample opportunity to explain what his views on the article are and still hasn't been able to come up with anything.

He just wanted to take a shot at Americans, he did, and he clearly doesn't have anything else to offer, thread derailed.

I say close it down and lets all move on.
  • Options

I say close it down and lets all move on.

Agreed.
  • Options
    I do it because quite frankly as someone with an American wife (and by extension half-American kids) I get pissed off with people making snotty and frankly racist generalisations which they wouldn't be allowed to do for anyone else.

So yes, I stand by my description...

Hey people, just wanted to say one more thing in relation to this thread which is that although Flashman's response was OTT, it is fair that he should challenge generalisations about Americans. Hopefully further discussions on related topics will be more productive. :)
This discussion has been closed.