Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

American troops at it again.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1309431/YouTube-video-US-soldiers-pranking-Iraqi-planting-LIVE-grenade-car.html

I know it's from the Fail, sorry about that. But seriously, are these guys just fucking idiots or what?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That Jeremy Beadle has alot to answer for
  • Options
    Tbh that's pretty lame compared with some of the stuff that can be found elsewhere on the internet- posted by the soldiers themselves.

There are a lot of fucked up people out there.
  • Options
    A mate of mine is a squaddie in Afganistan and he's often sending my stupid video clips of him and his stupid f**k mates doing daft things, although never at the expence of civilians. Just usual 'saturday night in Swansea' things like throwing a grenade inside a washing machine and watching it blow sky-high.
  • Options
    Yes he is an idiot. Beyond that there is little to this story.
  • Options
    Maybe to an American.
  • Options
    Maybe to an American.

Do go on...
  • Options
    Maybe to an American.

Yeah, please explain.

What I see is someone playing a prank on someone. The context is pretty poor but no-one was injured or truly inconvenienced. If anything it shows a developing relationship where humour can be shared rather than just intimidation...
  • Options
    What is there to explain? :chin:
  • Options
    I didn't really think anything was wrong with it. Of course its unprofessional etc. if you think about it, but my first reaction was just 'lol'.

Maybe that's bad of me, maybe I'm just used to shitty news or maybe it's just the case that the only people who really care are the journalists trying to create a shit storm.
  • Options

For starters how there is more to this story than an asshole acting like an asshole. Then, how ones nationality effects this perspective.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Yeah, please explain.

What I see is someone playing a prank on someone. The context is pretty poor but no-one was injured or truly inconvenienced. If anything it shows a developing relationship where humour can be shared rather than just intimidation...

The Iraqi chap didn't look all that amused to be honest. His face was that of relief and realisation that he just shit himself when they shoved a gun in his face.

I've got a great relationship with the public I work for. I don't play pranks on them though.
  • Options

Why you think an American would have a different view to anyone else in the world.

Like I said it was an idiot playing a prank, not out of intimidation but because he thought that the relationship had developed to a position where it was possible.

Whether he was right in that assumption is debatable.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Why you think an American would have a different view to anyone else in the world.

Because excessive American patriotism is so indoctrinated in to them from a young age they tend to view any criticism of their country (and vicariously their soldiers) as a personal insult. Yes that's a generalisation but from experience it's the sort of view that is held by a great many of them.
  • Options
    So what else is there to this story?
  • Options
    Not at all funny...

Now if they'd kept him their another five minutes whilst speaking into radios and making throat cutting gestures that would have been funny...:d
  • Options
    Because excessive American patriotism is so indoctrinated in to them from a young age they tend to view any criticism of their country (and vicariously their soldiers) as a personal insult.

Still waiting on you to explain how there is more to this story that I and other Americans might have missed.
  • Options
    What an utter pair of cunts.
  • Options
    Still waiting on you to explain how there is more to this story that I and other Americans might have missed.

Sure I'll do that when you show me where I've said "there's more to this story".
  • Options
    I think he means that there's more America would see in this story, [usually trying to untarnish their image, by looking for things that aren't there - just like their news stations do daily.
  • Options
    Be happy to rehash it for you.
    Yes he is an idiot. Beyond that there is little to this story.
    Maybe to an American.

So I ask again, what else is there to the story?
  • Options
    Erm, I told you.
    Because excessive American patriotism is so indoctrinated in to them from a young age they tend to view any criticism of their country (and vicariously their soldiers) as a personal insult.

You even replied to it :yeees:

One of your soldiers is up to mischief but to you it's a non-story, as would anything probably be if it showed your troops in a negative light.
  • Options
    Erm, I told you.

You even replied to it :yeees:

One of your soldiers is up to mischief but to you it's a non-story, as would anything probably be if it showed your troops in a negative light.

No, it's a non-story because the actions of this one particular soldier are not reflective of the U.S. military strategy in Iraq nor are they reflective of the rules regulating how soldiers should interact with Iraqi civilians. Therefore, the story starts with a single individual violating those rules and (hopefully) ends with him being punished appropriately.

As we have never met I imagine you would have no idea how I react to news stories about inappropriate activity on the part of U.S. troops.
  • Options
    No, it's a non-story because the actions of this one particular soldier are not reflective of the U.S. military strategy in Iraq nor are they reflective of the rules regulating how soldiers should interact with Iraqi civilians. Therefore, the story starts with a single individual violating those rules and (hopefully) ends with him being punished appropriately.

Sticking up for your nation's troops? There's a good little american ;)
    As we have never met I imagine you would have no idea how I react to news stories about inappropriate activity on the part of U.S. troops.

I'll be the first to admit I'm only scratching the surface but I have never met, spoken to or read about online an american who does not rabidly defend his or her nation's good name in the face of what they perceive to be a verbal anti-american attack.
  • Options
    I think the the title of this thread is a little misleading, suggesting that americam troops are at it again, this particular video isnt exactly new. Im not condoning the activities but its also not useful trying to say that its something thats new and has only just happened.
  • Options
    Sticking up for your nation's troops? There's a good little american ;).

Don’t be patronizing. This isn’t an issue of supporting U.S. troops or not. The article is clearly about a small number of American troops who were acting inappropriately. By refuting my statement that this is a non-story with the comment
    Maybe to an American
    you have alleged that there is more to this story but have refused to elaborate opting instead to accuse me of being blinded by knee-jerk patriotism, an accusation which is completely ridiculous since I am not the only person who has asked you to elaborate. So is there more to this story or not? Yes or no?
  • Options
    Don’t be patronizing. This isn’t an issue of supporting U.S. troops or not. The article is clearly about a small number of American troops who were acting inappropriately. By refuting my statement that this is a non-story with the comment you have alleged that there is more to this story but have refused to elaborate opting instead to accuse me of being blinded by knee-jerk patriotism, an accusation which is completely ridiculous since I am not the only person who has asked you to elaborate. So is there more to this story or not? Yes or no?

Due #z5 deeply-indoctrined patriotism you are convinced I've said or suggested something that I simply have not done. Only you have deduced that I've suggested "there's more to this than meets the eye" which indicates to me you have in your mind a particular something you think I'm trying to say. To save us both time and hassle, how about you let us know what it is you think I'm saying just so I can have an idea?
  • Options
    Due #z5 deeply-indoctrined patriotism you are convinced I've said or suggested something that I simply have not done.

You don't get to rewrite the history we can all clearly see on the first page of this thread:

AARG: Yes he is an idiot. Beyond that there is little to this story.
    GQ: Maybe to an American.
    Only you have deduced that I've suggested "there's more to this than meets the eye" which indicates to me you have in your mind a particular something you think I'm trying to say. To save us both time and hassle, how about you let us know what it is you think I'm saying just so I can have an idea?

You made the inference, so it's for you to explain.
  • Options
    I have not made any 'inference'! You've read things in to it that's all!

I've explained why I said "Maybe to an american" here, here, and here.

If you can't see it then I really can't be bothered to explain it a 4th time.
  • Options
    Hypothetically, what would it have been like if it had been British forces in the video?
  • Options
    I have not made any 'inference'! You've read things in to it that's all!

I've explained why I said "Maybe to an american" here, here, and here.

If you can't see it then I really can't be bothered to explain it a 4th time.

All you've done here is reiterated your non sequiter: AARG said he thought it was a non-story, you say 'maybe to an American', he asks what's that meant to mean, and you start blathering on about Americans being super-indoctrinated to not hear a bad word about the military. The inference is that you think there is more to the story, but that he can't see it because he's conditioned not to. All you've done is attempt to explain why he can't see there's more to the story, and not explained why you think there is more to the story.

Unless you've been misleading and don't in fact think there is more to the story, then your argument becomes an absurd nonsense of 'well there isn't more to the story, but if there was you wouldn't be able to see it'.
This discussion has been closed.