Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Urgent Mental Health Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I used to go to Great Ormond Street Hospital, where two psychiatrists confirmed my original diagnosis by another psychiatrist of Conduct Disorder, ADHD and Asperger's.

Anyway, they said at Great Ormond Street Hospital that the best place for me to go in the adult mental health services would be the Maudsley Hospital in South London and that they would recommend to my new local mental health hospital that I be referred there.

Well, this local mental hospital has not done that at all, they say they don't have the funds to send me there and they are trying to say I have not got Conduct Disorder at all so that they don't have to pay to get me treatment.

I was assessed for ASPD in 2009 when I turned 18 and was told that although I have practically all of the symptoms and diagnostic criteria she wouldn't diagnose me with it as it'd do my life no good.

A few hospitals have said the best place for my problems would be the Maudsley Hospital so how do I get a referral to go there without having to go through my local hospital who won't send me there?

I am slowly getting worse and have been sectioned once already, everyone says I need the Maudsley badly and I can't even get it.

Do you have any ideas?

I really need you to answer all of these points.

Comments

• Options
    Has your GP said anything about this? Perhaps they could help you out.
    Anywhere else you could possibly go to that is like that hospital?
  • Options
    I went to my GP once before about it and he said he'd have to get a referral from my local mental health hospital and I know for a fact because of their cut-backs that they won't refer me.

Actually, that hospital is the best psychiatric hospital in Britain, that's why everyone recommended it.
  • Options
    MDF18 wrote: »
    I went to my GP once before about it and he said he'd have to get a referral from my local mental health hospital and I know for a fact because of their cut-backs that they won't refer me.

Actually, that hospital is the best psychiatric hospital in Britain, that's why everyone recommended it.

Have you tried though? Be a bit of a kick in the teeth if you didnt go to the docs and you could have got the referral.
  • Options
    It's nothing to do with the local mental health trust, they don't pay for your treatment. This is the PCTs problem.

Suggest that you contact the local PALS office, they should be able to help.
  • Options
    NB Maudsley are the best for this but a bit stretched.