Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I feel so left out sometimes

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I do it wisely for some reason, I don't know where the packet is I thought my dad took it back because it didn't work. I think I'll keep going with several pain killers in a day instead of any other medicine :chin:
  • Options
    If anything pain killers are larger than AD's...
  • Options
    If anything pain killers are larger than AD's...

I would split it. How can I get a whole pain killer ddownn myy throat x
  • Options
    *Breathes in very quickly
  • Options
    I would split it. How can I get a whole pain killer ddownn myy throat x

Its not that hard if you learn how, my friend taught herself how to swallow them by swallowing whole tic tacks first. It can also depend on what painkillers they are - the sugary coated ones or the horrible ones that start to dissolve as soon as they hit your tongue. I used to hate taking tablets, now i can take them without water.
    But to be honest, half a painkiller would probably still be bigger than an AD, and if not then i am sure you could split the AD then?
  • Options
    Its not that hard if you learn how, my friend taught herself how to swallow them by swallowing whole tic tacks first. It can also depend on what painkillers they are - the sugary coated ones or the horrible ones that start to dissolve as soon as they hit your tongue. I used to hate taking tablets, now i can take them without water.
    But to be honest, half a painkiller would probably still be bigger than an AD, and if not then i am sure you could split the AD then?

It's not that I don't wish to take it, I'm afraid I'll chock on one again x
  • Options
    Make sure you're relaxed and not in a rush when you take one, if you take it too fast and when you're not relaxed you're more likely to choke on one. I'm sure it's very rare to choke on a tablet.
  • Options
    It could be more than just the size that is causing problems. I'm still prone to choking on capsules that are in that gel/plastic whatever the hell stuff. Have a dry mouth when taking it and it'll stick to the roof of my mouth and then I'll gag :p

But don't feel bad about not being able to swallow a pill, it will come eventually. I took the liquid prozac for quite a while because I couldn't swallow pills either. Eventually the taste made me learn!

If you can take pain killers, pay attention to how you are taking them and then practice the same technique with other medicines. I learned by taking a big gulp of water to make sure your mouth isn't dry and sticky, put the pill really far back on your tongue then take another big gulp of water. But don't rush yourself into taking pills, just do it when you feel comfortable.
  • Options
    I chewed on the tablet...:yuck: and ended up throwing it all out my mouth because I was sick I think it's the flavor.
  • Options
    I chewed on the tablet...:yuck: and ended up throwing it all out my mouth because I was sick I think it's the flavor.

It is very important not to chew tablets if they aren't designed to be taken that way. Some are specifically intended to release the medication slowly as they dissolve in the stomach. If you chew them (and manage to swallow ;) ) you will get all the medication at once and it wont have the desired effect.

The best way is to put the whole pill on your tongue. Don't worry about its taste or size or shape. Don't suck on it or move it about your mouth. Pretend it's not there and quickly swallow a large gulp of water. Don't sip. Don't even think about the pill. Just gulp, and you will find the pill goes down with the water.

Taking medication is never pleasant. What you are experiencing is nothing unusual. But taking pills is something we have all had to learn to do at some point.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you feel like this. But no matter what anybody says, you do need to get help. Because it really will help you in the long run. I feel so bad saying that but it's true. Your life is so precious, trust me.
  • Options
    You say you want help? Then you dont take it?

Things like this are difficult for me to comment on as Ive not experienced it.

Is it the fasting that means you cant take the medicine?

Plus nobody can make you speak, but if you are going to councelors then its in your best interest to talk to them. You dont have to tell them everything all at once, just what is comfortable, but if you dont talk you wont get the benefit.

You mentioned that you thought your councillor found you annoying? I doubt they do to be honest, they will deal with a lot of people who have been through similar situations to yourself, the only think I can think of that might annoy them (but they wouldnt show any annoyance to you) would be if you told little white lies here and there to stretch the truth.

Councilling only works if you talk, and if you tell thr truth. Otherwise you are wasting your time, their time, and making it clear that you are not that dedicated to wanting help.
This discussion has been closed.