Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Got a job interview! ...but

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There is a job I applied for and it is one that I really, really want. I have been called for an interview and through doing some 'research from contacts' i found out that only me and someone else have been shortlisted for an interview. However, the other person is already in the position and has reapplied for the job as the job had to be readvertised by law because it was becoming permanent. I wan't to know if I have any chance? Obviously I know you cant answer this but do you think i have any hope?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whatever you do keep positive, you never know, the bloke could be a complete waste of space :P

Just be positive, you never know, you might excel in the interviews.
    Well they invited you so you have some chance, though I would expect the other guy to be in the lead, so you'll just have to do really well.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    This happened to me fairly recently and I didn't get it sadly. However its worth a pop, just do your best and don't get your hopes up, you could get lucky.
    Theres always a chance with these things :) Never say never!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :yes: agree with all - also all interviews are useful experience.
    Let us know how it goes.
    You've got to think why they readvertised the job. Did they do it because the guy already there is crap and it's an excuse to get rid, or are they doing it because they want to keep him but have to advertise it.....
    Whowhere wrote: »
    You've got to think why they readvertised the job. Did they do it because the guy already there is crap and it's an excuse to get rid, or are they doing it because they want to keep him but have to advertise it.....

You never know, you could start the job and they will love you to bits because you are far better than the other bloke.
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    There is a job I applied for and it is one that I really, really want. I have been called for an interview and through doing some 'research from contacts' i found out that only me and someone else have been shortlisted for an interview. However, the other person is already in the position and has reapplied for the job as the job had to be readvertised by law because it was becoming permanent. I wan't to know if I have any chance? Obviously I know you cant answer this but do you think i have any hope?

No employer worth their salt will waste an hour of their time interviewing someone without any intention of employing them.

Olly
    Olly_B wrote: »
    No employer worth their salt will waste an hour of their time interviewing someone without any intention of employing them.

Olly

Unless the person in the job has the type of visa that you have to prove that you can't find any one who already has the right to live in the UK who can do the job - so you have to show that you have interviewed other people in order to satisfy the home office that you have indeed advertised the position and interviewed other people.

But on the plus side we did this at work to try and get a visa for someone we wanted to employ from outside of the EU and instead found someone even better and employed them instead.