Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What are contact lenses like?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It looks like I'm going to have to get another pair of glasses - my current ones (I don't think, anyway) are strong enough for my eyes any more. :(

I'm thinking about contact lenses - but whata re they like to put in and wear? I will have to check if I can wear them; due to needing to put eye gel in my eyes. (I can't remember if I can use contacts and use the gel)

Any other advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ive been wearing contacts for 3-4 years and have no problems with them and i use daileys. they take time at first but becomes easy.

i dunno weather u can wear contacts with gel in your eyes best bet ask opticion or your doctor
    Thanks. Have just had a quick google and it says I can't. :(
    I would still go and ask your optician though. Just because google says you cant doesnt mean its the right answer! Your optician might be able to give you advice on what to do :)
    Contact lenses are easy to put in a take out after practice. After a few weeks I was ready to take them out whilst drunk.

I had my eyes lasered a month ago, so dont use them anymore.
    Contacts are easy enough to put in with practice and sometimes patience. If you wear them for a long while, say 10 hours straight, you become more aware of them in your eye and often the eye goes red.

If you choose to wear contacts each day, it's a good idea to have a spare pair of glasses at your current prescription anyway, just in case contacts are unsuitable (eg. due to styes/infection/your eyes just won't open wide enough to get the lenses in!)

I wear both, and have found you have to be scrupulous with hand hygiene when handling contacts. Prefer specs as I don't like the idea of any foreign object in my eye, and only wear contacts when necessary (on the beach, to go swimming, although that's not recommended and you can't put your head under water!, playing sports etc) x
    Thank you :)

Is there a limit to how long each day you can wear contacts for? I currently have to wear my glasses all time.
    Melian wrote: »
    Thank you :)

Is there a limit to how long each day you can wear contacts for? I currently have to wear my glasses all time.

Well you can get daily ones, which you wear for a day then throw away. Or the monthly ones which you can wear all the time for a month and dont have to throw away each day.

If im wrong someone correct me!
    Or monthly ones that you wash each evening and leave in solution overnight, and yearly ones that you treat in the same way.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've tried contacts 3 times before and always gave up on them (last time was permanently).
    The reason is that my eyes got dry too quickly and started to hurt. It's possible that I have an inherited genetic defect (only one tear duct on each eye works instead of both) that caused that, but it's still a possibility to keep in mind.
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Well you can get daily ones, which you wear for a day then throw away.

:yes:

Go for the daily ones if you can. This is the most hygenic option because you can get some nasty bugs develop in your eyes that can even lead to blindness if you do not disinfect your lenses properly.
    Calvin wrote: »
    After a few weeks I was ready to take them out whilst drunk.

And that's not all you take out while you're drunk, i've seen the photos ! :D
    I've been wearing monthly contact lenses for almost 2 years now. I think 14 hours is the maximum they should be worn in a day, but this does vary depending on what type of lense you go for. Mine start to dry out after about 10-12 hours so I tend to wear them all day at work then switch to my glasses when I get home. If I'm going out in the evening I tend to take them out for afew hours during the day to give my eyes a rest so that I can comfortably wear them all evening. I usually wear my glasses a day a week sometimes more, to give my eyes a break, but on days like today (when it's chucking it down with rain and your glasses steam up and get covered in rain!) I realise how useful my contacts are. I find them really easy to take in and out, and it gets easier the more you get use to it.
    I've been wearing contacts for the last 9 years and never had any problems *touch wood* with them. I use to have the monthly ones that I could take out and put in whenever I wanted but I couldn't sleep in them. Now I have ones that you can sleep in and keep in constantly, although I don't I still take them out at night, there just handy if you're away or staying out somewhere and can't take my glasses/lens things with me :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If you have astigmatism they have to be customly made, which makes them more expensive.
    ^ These are called toric ones. I have daily disposable toric which cost more than usual dailies - another reason why I like glasses :) I need to wear mine all the time too
    If you have astigmatism they have to be customly made, which makes them more expensive.

Not that much more though, just looked at my brand and they are $8 more a box (6 2-week lenses) I see they even have bifocal contacts now, what don't they make! As others have suggested I'd go ask your eye doctor instead of relying solely on google. They very well could make contacts for people with whatever problem you have.
    If you have astigmatism they have to be customly made

Nah, not true. I have an astigmatism in both eyes and all the manufacturers produce suitable lenses as standard.
    Its a question of finding lenses which suit you and what lenses aer available does depend on your perscription. I'd suggest going back to the opticians and explaining the problem. She/he should be able to give you some trial sets so you can see what best suits you.
    Most places will let you trial the contact lenses now, you should ask about that.