Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wtf

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nutter wrote: »

They would have not done the punishment as it is very haram and no muslim in saudi arabia or riyadh (both lovely places but very hot) Would go through with it. He may loose a arm a leg or two legs many muslims have lost a arm or a foot mainly poor beggers, the streets are filled with them and in bangladesh if this punishmemtt does take place the man who did it would get sent to prison for many months as this is very haram and Allah would not allow it and on the day of judgeement the man who ripped out the cord would burn in hell fire,well many muslims believe that x
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    What's moral to one person isn't moral to another and vice versa.

So it's all even? We can't possibly pass judgement? We've no way of establishing what's odious and what's not?
    Ultimately, I appreciate what you're saying about how this is a message board e.t.c. but at the end of the day what one country decides to do within it's own borders to one it's own citizens who broke the law is fuck all to do with us.

I'm sorry, Whowhere, but this is superlative poppycock. What do you think agencies like the UN are all about? But forget even that, what about basic human solidarity? Or does your empathy only extend as far as our national borders? This reminds me of the same kind of dangerous nonsense I hear that goes 'well if we've got nuclear weapons, why can't Iran have them?". Jesus-fucking-wept.
    Perhaps the Saudi citizens like these laws?

I'm sure that when you're having your hands removed for a crime that you're innocent of, you just can't help but sing the McDonald's jungle.
    Have you asked the typical Saudi in the street what he thinks should happen to a murderer or rapist?

No I haven't, surprisingly. But if he says "sodomised to death" am I to just think "these kooky Saudis and their wacky customs"?
    Perhaps they think our system of trying to rehabilitate thieves is just as immoral as their system of making sure they don't do it again.

Maybe they do. And maybe I couldn't give a shit.
  • Options
    A warning sticker for "The Bible":
    bible-disclaimer-label.png
  • Options
    So it's all even? We can't possibly pass judgement? We've no way of establishing what's odious and what's not?

I'm sorry, Whowhere, but this is superlative poppycock. What do you think agencies like the UN are all about? But forget even that, what about basic human solidarity? Or does your empathy only extend as far as our national borders? This reminds me of the same kind of dangerous nonsense I hear that goes 'well if we've got nuclear weapons, why can't Iran have them?". Jesus-fucking-wept.

I'm sure that when you're having your hands removed for a crime that you're innocent of, you just can't help but sing the McDonald's jungle.

No I haven't, surprisingly. But if he says "sodomised to death" am I to just think "these kooky Saudis and their wacky customs"?

Oh my god, CptCoathanger, I have never fancied you more.

Marry me :heart:
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    A warning sticker for "The Bible":

Indeed. Whether a certain group of people are interpreting a book correctly or not is completely irrelevant. The fact that they think it's the literal word of God is the dangerous bit. Once you tell someone that, you've only got yourself to blame if they start following it according to an interpretation you don't agree with.

And yeah, I agree with everything the good Captain just said. Who are we not to condemn human rights abuses, just because they happen outside our own borders?
  • Options
    And yeah, I agree with everything the good Captain just said. Who are we not to condemn human rights abuses, just because they happen outside our own borders?

So how far should we take it? Just words or actions too?
  • Options
    Not for all, but for some human rights activists, words alone will never be enough.........

................even when the anti war activists start asking us why we are conducting an illegal war to rid a country of these ills.

Catch 22 indeed.
  • Options

In principle, yes.

In practice, possibly, possibly not; it depends on whether the consequences of doing so would be worse than not acting. But in principle, yes, we always have a moral obligation to prevent human rights abuses.
  • Options

With those few words you have just proven my point entirely. I expect the Saudi government and the population who support these laws are thinking exactly the same about us.

The idea that foreigners should be entitled to an opinion about the way we do things is instantly dismissed by yourself because you don't give a fuck. But it's ok for us to try and influence them?
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    Not for all, but for some human rights activists, words alone will never be enough.........

Catch 22 indeed.

:yes:
  • Options
    at the end of the day what one country decides to do within it's own borders to one it's own citizens who broke the law is fuck all to do with us.

Article 2 of the UN charter effectively confirms Whowhere's superlative poppycock
  • Options

You have to make a judgement. The Rwandan genocide? I think I'd be tempted to get involved. An individual man getting executed? I think military action might cause a bit more suffering than that. But in reality, we all know that if Saudi Arabia didn't have oil, they would be treated in exactly the same way as Burma or Zimbabwe by large parts of the world. We haven't invaded them, we've just refused to offer them any support. If we could convince certain other major political powers to do the same, the whole regime would quickly come crashing down. With certain other countries, we offer them incentives to change. Turkey, for example, have a huge incentive to improve their human rights record. The idea that you can either leave them to it or invade is a complete fallacy. The US and EU have propped up this regime for decades, and continue to do so.
  • Options
    However, given that in Saudi's case the most likely new regime if the current one fell is one even more fundamentalist and with a greater propesntiy to export its fundamentalism it actually may be moral to support the lesser of two evils
  • Options
    With those few words you have just proven my point entirely. I expect the Saudi government and the population who support these laws are thinking exactly the same about us.

The idea that foreigners should be entitled to an opinion about the way we do things is instantly dismissed by yourself because you don't give a fuck. But it's ok for us to try and influence them?

Firstly, how about addressing my points?

Secondly, how does my giving or not giving a fuck affect the Saudi's entitlement to opinion? And you've just reiterated more of this dangerous mindset where you don't seem to think there are distinctions to be drawn between burying women up to their head in sand and stoning them to death, and justice that takes rehabilitation into account.

I'm not advocating saddling up and riding on into every country whose laws I disagree with, but watching genocides, barbaric punishments and the oppression of peoples play out with folded arms and a closed mouth ain't right.

@God of Schmuck: Why don't you go suck a fuck.
  • Options

Secondly, how does my giving or not giving a fuck affect the Saudi's entitlement to opinion? And you've just reiterated more of this dangerous mindset where you don't seem to think there are distinctions to be drawn between burying women up to their head in sand and stoning them to death, and justice that takes rehabilitation into account.

I'm not advocating saddling up and riding on into every country whose laws I disagree with, but watching genocides, barbaric punishments and the oppression of peoples play out with folded arms and a closed mouth ain't right.

Is that an invitation to treat ? (At the same time as Jamelia ?:crazyeyes )

Questions, questions.

Perhaps you can not handle having your points addressed (despite your offer) ?
  • Options
    Is that an invitation to treat ? (At the same time as Jamelia ?:crazyeyes )

Questions, questions.

Perhaps you can not handle having your points addressed (despite your offer) ?

:lol:

That's rich coming from you! You take a sentence out of my whole post and make some vague allusions not actually expressing an opinion of your own, as usual. I'll assume your non-reply, save you the hassle of writing it.
  • Options

True enough but I would wager substantially that Jesus never ate a bacon butty.

I also doubt that anyone asked if he wanted fries, or to super size it, but just because that isnt likely to have happened, doesnt mean you cant be a christian and work at mcdonalds.*

*Another perspective of flawed logic, I thought it would be nice for a change to stir things up.
  • Options
    :lol:

That's rich coming from you! You take a sentence out of my whole post and make some vague allusions not actually expressing an opinion of your own, as usual. I'll assume your non-reply, save you the hassle of writing it.

What vague allusions ?

You bring the UN into your evidence,presumably as substantiation and I merely pointed out that the UN (in its legal charter) actually sides with the Whowhere point that you were trying to discredit.
  • Options
    I also doubt that anyone asked if he wanted fries, or to super size it, but just because that isnt likely to have happened, doesnt mean you cant be a christian and work at mcdonalds.*

*Another perspective of flawed logic, I thought it would be nice for a change to stir things up.

My point about Jesus was to highlight the gulf between him and so called Christians.
  • Options
    Well if you had actually put that instead of leaving it open to peoples wild imaginations, it might have gone down better than it did.
  • Options
    What vague allusions ?

You bring the UN into your evidence,presumably as substantiation and I merely pointed out that the UN (in its legal charter) actually sides with the Whowhere point that you were trying to discredit.

Well dig it out then, big boy. And perhaps address the wider question, with some of your own opinions.
  • Options
    However, given that in Saudi's case the most likely new regime if the current one fell is one even more fundamentalist and with a greater propesntiy to export its fundamentalism it actually may be moral to support the lesser of two evils

Indeed. I'd be all for working with the current regime to help achieve things like equal rights for women, for example. And there certainly appear to be people in the country who want that. It was the king who wanted to allow women to drive, for example, and public pressure that prevented it.
  • Options
    Public pressure? Do you not mean pressure from the Imams ?
  • Options
    Public pressure? Do you not mean pressure from the Imams ?

Probably. Although I imagine that translates into public pressure.
  • Options
    Probably. Although I imagine that translates into public pressure.

Through being taught what the imams think, not what the people do I presume.
  • Options
    Well dig it out then, big boy. And perhaps address the wider question, with some of your own opinions.

Assertiveness or aggression ? (Do you like to wear uniforms ? ;) )

Post 42 already gave you the answer. Section 7 if you require further help.

What exactly is the wider question ?

For me, perhaps the widest question is what are human rights.

Many have given reference to "human rights" in this thread without defining it.

And before the assertive/agressive among us shout "we all know what human rights are", take note that the UN are vague in their literature despite them claiming universality.

Closer to home the Human Rights Act contains disclaimers that have manifested themselves in the courtroom.

It seems even the secular sovereigns have a problem with that wide question.
  • Options
    Assertiveness or aggression ?

Option 3: Amused.
    (Do you like to wear uniforms ? ;) )

Only when your mother's choking me out.
    Post 42 already gave you the answer. Section 7 if you require further help.

Post 42 said precisely fuck all, as usual. Are you aware of UN peacekeeping forces and the different roles they undertake?
    What exactly is the wider question ?

For me, perhaps the widest question is what are human rights.

Many have given reference to "human rights" in this thread without defining it.

And before the assertive/agressive among us shout "we all know what human rights are", take note that the UN are vague in their literature despite them claiming universality.

Closer to home the Human Rights Act contains disclaimers that have manifested themselves in the courtroom.

It seems even the secular sovereigns have a problem with that wide question.

The wider question was about basic human solidarity. I've not talked about human rights, though I see you're already trying to muddy that pond in anticipation.

Honestly, trying get get specific, straight opinions out of you is like trying to bust-a-nut using a picture of Mother Teressa - fucking futile.
  • Options
    Option 3: Amused.

Only when your mother's choking me out.

Post 42 said precisely fuck all, as usual. Are you aware of UN peacekeeping forces and the different roles they undertake?

The wider question was about basic human solidarity. I've not talked about human rights, though I see you're already trying to muddy that pond in anticipation.

Honestly, trying get get specific, straight opinions out of you is like trying to bust-a-nut using a picture of Mother Teressa - fucking futile.

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a gypsy queen
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle all dressed in green
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle ’til the moon is blue
    Wiggle ’til the moon sees you

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle in your boots and shoes
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, you got nothing to lose
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a swarm of bees
    Wiggle on your hands and knees

Wiggle to the front, wiggle to the rear
    Wiggle ’til you wiggle right out of here
    Wiggle ’til it opens, wiggle ’til it shuts
    Wiggle ’til it bites, wiggle ’til it cuts

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
    Wiggle—you can raise the dead

Wiggle ’til you’re high, wiggle ’til you’re higher
    Wiggle ’til you vomit fire
    Wiggle ’til it whispers, wiggle ’til it hums
    Wiggle ’til it answers, wiggle ’til it comes

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like satin and silk
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a pail of milk
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, rattle and shake
    Wiggle like a big fat snake

Say it quietly and no-one may notice what you are doing.
  • Options

I didn't address your points because I didn't feel the need. You have made an assumption that I agree with the Saudi's treatment of criminals. I don't. My argument is that we have absolutely no right to intefere in the domestic policies of a sovereign nation.

They aren't murdering thousands of people and they aren't manufacturing weapons of mass destruction. The very fact that you think the mass-murder of tens of thousands of people is even the same sport, let alone the same league as chopping the dick off a rapist or cutting a thieve's hand off is laughable.

Your not giving a fuck doesn't affect the Saudi's entitlement to their own opinions, however you expect them to give a fuck about yours? As I said, for all we know the average Saudi on the street thinks we're a bunch of immoral bastards for letting rapists walk free from prison, the bloke who was paralysed is certainly quite happy to see his attacker have the same done to him, and everything suggests he is just an average bloke.
  • Options
    Seriously, it must be time that God of Schmuck was banned. His incessant talking in riddles and spouting utter bollocks like he's being intelligent and profound are wearing exceptionally thin.