Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wtf

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree.
    At least the doctors they've asked so far have a moral code - if this is the judge's ruling, will a hospital be made to do it in the end?
  • Options
    Reading this story is what prompted me to come on here- I was going to post the exact same thing as you. I think it is totally :yuck:
  • Options
    Er, yes, because a court has ordered it to be done.

Say what you like about the Saudis, when it comes to justice, they don't fuck about.

Unlike us it would seem.
  • Options
    Whilst I sympathise with the victim and his family and I do not agree that he served a long enough sentance, I do not think that paralysing the man is the best course of action to take. One families lives have already been completely changed by this mans actions, what purpose would it serve to inflict the same on his family? This story actually made me feel sick.
  • Options
    The phrase "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" springs to mind. Whilst I don't agree in moral principle to the judgement meted out by the court, that is the law of the country. The guy knew that when he decided to attack the other guy.
  • Options
    It's sickening but I'm not surprised. In that neck of the woods, it was common to forfeit the part of the body that you used in order to commit the crime. E.g. if you stole something, you get your hand chopped off. If you raped someone, you lose your manhood.
  • Options
    Er, yes, because a court has ordered it to be done.

Then why hasn't it been done? Why have they not ordered it to be done, rather than asking? Are they expecting volunteers?
  • Options
    I don't think it's fair if they were in a fight, and the man ended up paralysed, because it could easily have been the other one. If he'd set out with the intention to paralyse him, I think it would be a more fitting punishment.
  • Options
    "There is no better word than God's word - an eye for an eye."

Hmm yes i can see that, but if everyone lived by this rule we'd all be blind.

I think Grace's comment is fair, if it was intentional then perhaps it could be more fitting
  • Options
    The phrase "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" springs to mind. Whilst I don't agree in moral principle to the judgement meted out by the court, that is the law of the country. The guy knew that when he decided to attack the other guy.
    Oh well that's alirght then.
  • Options
    It's not alright as I said with the words "I don't agree in moral principle".

Two things: this is something that you and I have zero control over. That is the law of the sovereign nation of Saudi Arabia and the decision has been made by its court system. We have as much chance of changing that decision as I do of playing for Man United.

Secondly, part of me thinks who are we to opine on the morality and moral codes of other nations just because they're not commensurate with our own? Whilst I state again, that what is being ordered by the court is abhorrent, it's their affair and since the location of the crime, the perpetrator and the jurisdiction was all Saudi, what on earth does it have to do with us? Are we now the moral police of the world?

So you can wring your hands and tut as loudly as you want, but it won't change a thing.
  • Options
    That it won't change thing does not mean we cannot discuss it or condemn it- otherwise what's the point of this message forum, or of anything for that matter?

I wipe my arse with the concept of 'different cultures' or 'their country, their rules'. What's unacceptable barbarism is unacceptable barbarism, and we should condemn any regime that would allow or even contemplate such act as the backward brutal cunts they would be.

And if we had any backbone and moral fibre, we would restrict diplomatic ties and business with regimes that engage in unacceptable acts like this. If some business deals are lost as a result, so be fucking it.
  • Options
    I wonder who's going to be the first to jump up and defend the "peaceful" and "tolerant" religion that is Islam. All this brutality is happening under Islamic law, after all.

Funnily enough, I don't see the likes of the Muslim Council of Great Britain standing up and condemning this. Why not?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I wonder who's going to be the first to jump up and defend the "peaceful" and "tolerant" religion that is Islam. All this brutality is happening under Islamic law, after all.

Funnily enough, I don't see the likes of the Muslim Council of Great Britain standing up and condemning this. Why not?

What have the christian USofA ever done for us? [to misquote Monty Python]

Apart from waterboarding, lethal injections, electric chair etc

Of course, you can argue that none of that is done "in the name of" christianity. Right up until someone uses the expression "an eye for an eye".

Religion doesn't make any difference to whether or not acts of barbarism are carried out in the name of justice.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »

Of course, you can argue that none of that is done "in the name of" christianity. Right up until someone uses the expression "an eye for an eye".

Religion doesn't make any difference to whether or not acts of barbarism are carried out in the name of justice.

eye for an eye isn't even a christian thing, it's an old testament thing, this is what jesus thought of it, and i'm not even a christian and i'm more aware of it than most rednecks

http://www.jesuscentral.com/ji/life-of-jesus-ancient/biography-of-jesus-christ/who-is-Jesus-by-matthew/gospel-of-matthew-5_38-42.php
  • Options

Lend lease, WW1, NATO, Buffy the Vampire Slayer...

I assume as you've watched Monty Python you know the answer to what the Roman's did...:p
  • Options
    eye for an eye isn't even a christian thing, it's an old testament thing, this is what jesus thought of it, and i'm not even a christian and i'm more aware of it than most rednecks

http://www.jesuscentral.com/ji/life-of-jesus-ancient/biography-of-jesus-christ/who-is-Jesus-by-matthew/gospel-of-matthew-5_38-42.php
    Unfortunately the Old Testament is considered very much an integral part of the Christian faith by Christians. And even more unfortunately, the bigots, haters and fundie scumbags of this world use selective single-line quotes from it (and from the Koran, and from other holy books) to push their hate-filled agendas and justfiy prejudice and and persecution.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And if we had any backbone and moral fibre, we would restrict diplomatic ties and business with regimes that engage in unacceptable acts like this. If some business deals are lost as a result, so be fucking it.

:d :d :d
  • Options
    Unfortunately the Old Testament is considered very much an integral part of the Christian faith by Christians. And even more unfortunately, the bigots, haters and fundie scumbags of this world use selective single-line quotes from it (and from the Koran, and from other holy books) to push their hate-filled agendas and justfiy prejudice and and persecution.

The Old Testament is an integral part (perhaps the only part) of Christ's teachings.

(I think the previous Christ quote would produce more understanding if read in the context of its delivery)
  • Options
    :d :d :d

No pun intended, of course... :d
  • Options
    I'm surprised the Daily Mail readers aren't demanding we introduce this.
  • Options
    The Old Testament is an integral part (perhaps the only part) of Christ's teachings.

(I think the previous Christ quote would produce more understanding if read in the context of its delivery)

it might be an integral part, but there's many bits jesus thinks are a load of crap tbh

i don't see the eye for an eye christian people claiming we shouldn't eat pork or stone adulterers for example
  • Options
    If this man requires any treatment, (not the severing of the spinal cord) will he just be left?

What exactly does this teach children / young people?

Sick sick sick
  • Options

What's moral to one person isn't moral to another and vice versa. Ultimately, I appreciate what you're saying about how this is a message board e.t.c. but at the end of the day what one country decides to do within it's own borders to one it's own citizens who broke the law is fuck all to do with us. Perhaps the Saudi citizens like these laws? Have you asked the typical Saudi in the street what he thinks should happen to a murderer or rapist? Perhaps they think our system of trying to rehabilitate thieves is just as immoral as their system of making sure they don't do it again.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    What's moral to one person isn't moral to another and vice versa. Ultimately, I appreciate what you're saying about how this is a message board e.t.c. but at the end of the day what one country decides to do within it's own borders to one it's own citizens who broke the law is fuck all to do with us.
    Not in a country that would like to see itself as civilised. And in fact Britain and many other nations have on many occasions intervened or at least voiced their opinion on what we perceive to be unacceptable treatment of fellow human beings.

One might disagree about what level of response or internvention might be appropriate, but not doing or at least saying something should simply be not an option.

Do you disagree with most nations of the world's stance against Apartheid South Africa? Do you think that instead of applying pressure and implementing economic and cultural boycotts we should have treated that regime like any other? At the end of the day, if they saw black people as subhuman 'niggers' and treated them worse than dogs it's none of our business, right?
  • Options
    Taking it to the nth degreee, nice. You are right, perhaps we should be in a position to say something as a nation, but then what?

If we turn around to the Saudis and say "stop using these punishments or else" what if they say "or else what". I don't think we have a right to intefere, in the same way that if they tried to intefere with how we run things we'd be telling them to fuck off.
  • Options
    I'm not saying cutting a man's spine as punishment is as bad as the Apartheid. I'm simply providing an example of an instance when wrongdoing by a regime against its citizens has been condemned and acted upon by other nations.

It's exactly the same principle. And I for one am happy we don't simply look the other way when human right abuses are perpetrated.
  • Options
    Lend lease, WW1, NATO, Buffy the Vampire Slayer...

Not so much Buffy as Sarah Michelle Geller?

But yeah, I know the quote. My point was that Islam isn't the issue here, torture and mistreatment is.
  • Options
    Not so much Buffy as Sarah Michelle Geller?

Both :D
  • Options
    it might be an integral part, but there's many bits jesus thinks are a load of crap tbh

It is unclear to me which bits those are.
    i don't see the eye for an eye christian people claiming we shouldn't eat pork or stone adulterers for example

True enough but I would wager substantially that Jesus never ate a bacon butty.

Even after 40 days and 40 nights.