Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How do you make friends after leaving education?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah but it wont help me with making new friends. Plus talking randomly to someone who is staring back with wide-eyed horror is not exactly my idea of fun.
    If you think about it ost of our friends are going to be people we meet at school/college/uni or work as these are the places that we are spending so much time with other people.
    Working as a temp it is going to be hard for you to build friendships, have you thought about a part time job maybe just a few hours a week in a pub maybe?
    Don't rule out voluntering though its a great way to to meet active and motivated people and you can probably find a volunter centre near you that would easily find you something suited to your age.
    Being lonely is awful i know so good luck x
    Louisek wrote: »
    If you think about it ost of our friends are going to be people we meet at school/college/uni or work as these are the places that we are spending so much time with other people.
    Working as a temp it is going to be hard for you to build friendships, have you thought about a part time job maybe just a few hours a week in a pub maybe?
    Don't rule out voluntering though its a great way to to meet active and motivated people and you can probably find a volunter centre near you that would easily find you something suited to your age.
    Being lonely is awful i know so good luck x

I kind of covered that earlier.
    JanePerson wrote: »
    The problem is that the places I want to volunteer at (the ones with other people my age) are in places where there isn't really any suitable public transport anyway. I would not mind spending a bit of money on bus fairs if it would help me to get out more but there are only 2 good bus routes in my town and neither cover those areas. It would be a 2 hour walk each way.

I also tried looking for casual work like at a bar or cafe but its in short supply, maybe for recession reasons. Plus they always insist on a years bar/cafe experience which I don't have. I feel like I have tried everything to make friends in this miserable town but nothing works.
    JanePerson wrote: »
    I kind of covered that earlier.

Sorry was just trying to be supportive
    Nah thats ok. I was pretty surprised by how little is on offer in my area too. I just assumed I would find a suitable group to join or place to volunteer at. I wasn't expecting to continue my university lifestyle but neither was I expecting to be left with nothing to do.
    just meet people either at work, or start a new course, or online. Ive met quite a few friends through having my children too.
    i dont think theres any specific way. Its not like you havent still got your old friends though is it?
    Most of the courses at my local college are during the day so I cant do them while I'm working. Plus it seems a bet desperate spending hundreds of pounds on a qualification I'm unlikely to use just to try and make friends. Evening classes where I live are limited and very poorly attended (try 1 or 2 other people showing up or no one showing up or being the only person under 40) so no luck there either.

Work is no good as I temp, plus most people commute. I got friendly with this one girl once but she lives 2 hours away in the other direction. I cant afford a car and even if I could, visiting her would be more than a 5 hour round trip.

I have my old friends but we now live too far apart for a regular social life. I've looked at some online social sites but did not find any people in my local area. The last thing I need right now are another load of distance friends.

It probably sounds like I am making excuses but I really feel like I have tried everything possible to get a social life together. I feel like my only option now is to try and move to a place where there are better people about.
    have you considered moving closer to some of your old friends?
    A lot of people stay in the area they went to uni for this reason i think.
    I really wanted to stay in my uni town but I had to be practical. Its a terrible place for finding work, even before the recession hit. I'd have had little chance of getting a job and no chance of a job that related to my degree.

I'm planning on saving up so I can move if I figure out the best place for me to move to. I'm thinking either near friends I already have or a busy city with loads of people about.