Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

reducing spice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What can you add to reduce the spice of a food? I made some thai cucumbers and added way too much heat. I wasn't sure the directions of most the ingrediants (like shake well... got a whole load of chili peppers instead of nicely mixed!), the containers weren't in english :p I know when I go to this one chinese resturant there is something you can add to the sauces they give to neutralize the heat but I can't think of it to save my life and google isn't that helpful when I have no idea what I'm talking about. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yoghurt or coconut milk
    I should have said, the ingrediants are vinegar, sweet chili sauce, sugar and crushed chili peppers I think is all that was in it so a dairy like that might be quite gross, but thanks :)
    Oh, so it's like a watery sauce the cucumber's in ? Well cucumber in yoghurt is nice. There's a (i thnik Greek) dish called Tzatziki which is yoghurt, cucumber and spices, v. yummy.

Maybe take the cucumber out the sauce, chop it up and mix with yoghurt and 'dip your tortillas' in it, so to speak :D
    I think the only sensible thing to do is (wo)man up and gobble the lot down in one go! :D
    I think the only sensible thing to do is (wo)man up and gobble the lot down in one go! :D

yes, and then have a huge drink afterwards to wash it all down with.

;)

i love spicy food. spicier the better.
    And I thought this was going to have referenceto Dune in it.
    I ended up just making a double batch and not adding any more chili sauce or chili peppers... and it is still too hot. I'm such a food wuss! I think I'll just toss it. No big loss, sitting here with a dozen and a half more 2 foot cucumbers anyways :p
    my name wrote: »
    I ended up just making a double batch and not adding any more chili sauce or chili peppers... and it is still too hot. I'm such a food wuss! I think I'll just toss it. No big loss, sitting here with a dozen and a half more 2 foot cucumbers anyways :p

LOL but you still shouldn't waste it, think of all the people who don't get food tell me what are the ingredians in this do you add water?
    **Annie** wrote: »
    LOL but you still shouldn't waste it, think of all the people who don't get food tell me what are the ingredians in this do you add water?

Well if anybody is hungry I'll gladly let them come over and eat some but forcing yourself to eat something you dislike because there are millions of people who go without is a bit of a silly concept, isn't it. Can't exactly UPS a bowl of parishables to Nambia and shelters don't take used homemade food, as they shouldn't.

And the ingrediatns are (no guarantee the conversions are correct :p)
    57.5g granulated sugar
    225ml white vinegar
    115ml thai sweet chili sauce
    salt
    ground red pepper
    mix
    add 1 bunch scallions and 2 large cucumbers (or 1 freak cucumber) both very thinly sliced
    I used to have an awful teacher a few years ago, who when I wasn't able to eat the revolting amount of food that school dinners consisted of, would constantly tell me about all the poor children in Africa who would just love all the food that I was wickedly throwing away, and would then make me eat all the food on my plate (and sometimes go and get seconds, which was just ridiculous) until one day I threw up on his shoes.

I'd happily have posted my chicken dinosaurs over to Africa.

Food that's eaten that you don't want is just as wasted as throwing it away.
    Mint reduces spice but adds a whole new flavour :p
    Yogurt and cucumber is a classic