Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Erm... Need to think of a tittle x

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,
Does anyone know how to stop bed
wetting....
I'm just curiouse thats all x

Man that was hard to type x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I might be able to help, because I had a bed-wetting problem until age 13/14. My parents tried punishments first, like fining me £1 then smacking (don't know if that's allowed nowadays). This didn't work, so the next workaround was to have a drink curfew at 7:30PM. It worked for a bit, but I found that I still needed water (you need 8 glasses a day), and I went back to my old ways.

Solution - was to actually drink more (water/tea/coffee/squash), and try holding your bladder during waking hours. The idea was to decrease the number of times you needed to go to the loo during the day/evening, with the objective to increase the bladder. This worked for me.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I might be able to help, because I had a bed-wetting problem until age 13/14. My parents tried punishments first, like fining me £1 then smacking (don't know if that's allowed nowadays). This didn't work, so the next workaround was to have a drink curfew at 7:30PM. It worked for a bit, but I found that I still needed water (you need 8 glasses a day), and I went back to my old ways.

Solution - was to actually drink more (water/tea/coffee/squash), and try holding your bladder during waking hours. The idea was to decrease the number of times you needed to go to the loo during the day/evening, with the objective to increase the bladder. This worked for me.

Oh darn that sound impossible x
    Maybe you should see your GP

From you're posts i'd guess it's psychological, a reaction what's going on in your life. But it could well be something physical which might need looking at.

There are drugs out now to help with bed wetting. Don't know how effective they are.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Maybe you should see your GP

From you're posts i'd guess it's psychological, a reaction what's going on in your life. But it could well be something physical which might need looking at.

There are drugs out now to help with bed wetting. Don't know how effective they are.

But it's so embarassing just talking about it x
    I know, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and get it done.

The vast majority of GPs are good people who won't ridicule or dismiss any problem you have. You'll only be in there for a few minutes and it could make a big difference to your life. I remember, when i was younger, i was mortified and so ashamed when i wet the bed. You really don't want to keep feeling like that do you ? So best to get it sorted.

Maybe you've got a mate who could go with you who you can trust. Or thay could come with you, stay outside when you see the doc and they'll be there in the waiting room for support when you come out.
    RubberSkin wrote: »

My cousin took something to help her out... I'm not sure if it was the medication which helped, or something else, but a few weeks later she wasn't wetting the bed anymore.

It didn't stop her needing to go... Somehow it just made her more likely to wake up when she did. How it worked I do not know :chin:
    I can't goo to the Dr because my parents have to take me and I can't go with a friend x
    But going would be less embarassing than wetting the bed at a sleep over again okay now I just don't know what to do I'm how old again and I wett the bed and I have to were pull ups arghhhh!
    And would they give a tablet or soome thing then if yes I can't eat it x
    Why cant you go see the dr alone? I've not been to the dr with my parents for years.

I'd seriously just go and say that you cant take tablets and im sure they'll work something out for you. Going to the drs will just be a momentary embarassment, and they probably hear much more embarassing stuff on a daily basis
    Why cant you go see the dr alone? I've not been to the dr with my parents for years.

I'd seriously just go and say that you cant take tablets and im sure they'll work something out for you. Going to the drs will just be a momentary embarassment, and they probably hear much more embarassing stuff on a daily basis

that's true.

:yes:

good luck with it.

i'm sure you'll work something out
    **Annie** wrote: »
    But it's so embarassing just talking about it x

Nah... it's far more common than you'd think. I routinely wet it until my late teens. Sadly, nothing I tried had any benefit, it was just something I grew out of. :)
    Last time I wet the bed I think I was 26. Didn't think anything of it. If it were a regular occurance I would go to the Drs and do something about it.
    I can't go to the Dr alone because its far from home and Ii need father to drive me then he'll stay I hope I don't do it on the sleep over on wednesday is there any other way to stop with out going to Dr Syed (My Dr) x
    really close friends with my dad x
    Do your parents not relise you wet the bed? Because if they know, I'm sure they'd support you with visiting the doctors. And as previously said, doctors see everything on a regular basis- I'm sure they've seen much worse so, although it is scary for you, they won't find it unusual.
    I think if you can, it would be a step worth taking :)
    Are there any walk in clinics near you?
    I can't go to the Dr alone because its far from home and Ii need father to drive me then he'll stay I hope I don't do it on the sleep over on wednesday is there any other way to stop with out going to Dr Syed (My Dr) x
    really close friends with my dad x

To get this issue sorted, I think you have two options really:
    Go to the Doctors with a family member knowing, or going to the Doctors without your family knowing.

I don't really see how else to resolve it.. I mean, like a lot of things you *might* get lucky and it will eventually go away, but then again it might not... and you'll get older and older and probably more and more worried about the situation.

Like purpledhaze said, do your parents know whats going on? Have you *always* wet the bed, or has the problem started recently?

And if you're certain that you don't want your mother/father with you - what about public transport? If its a long way can you get a bus / taxi? What about your friends.. any of them have an older sibling or a parent you trust and they could drive you? If you're worried about seeing the doctor who is good friends with your dad - you don't have to see him, you can ask to see another doctor at the practice.

Try not to feel embarassed - you can see from the replies here that other people have experience the same thing, so its something doctors see a lot of. If you find it hard saying the words, could your write the doctor a note saying what the problem is and how you want to be helped?
    Do your parents not relise you wet the bed?

Exactly. Annie, I can't quite figure out why your parents do not know yet. When I was wetting my bed, my parents would know pretty sharpish. This is because the sheets stink and when it's time for them to do the laundry, well Annie? Can of worms - I got caught every time.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Exactly. Annie, I can't quite figure out why your parents do not know yet. When I was wetting my bed, my parents would know pretty sharpish. This is because the sheets stink and when it's time for them to do the laundry, well Annie? Can of worms - I got caught every time.

I actually didn't mean my phrase in a nasty way- I meant it more in the way of if you are living at home then are your parents aware of the problem because of having to wash sheets?
    It could be that you find time to wash them when they are out, so I don't think we can jump such a harsh (possibly the wrong word?) conclusion.
    My Mother and Father don't wash mysheets I ddo it myself anddso does my older sister new sheets everyday like usual so they don't know and there not a home alot they tend to be at work leaving us with our neighbours x
    If I go to the Dr what short of quesions will they ask?
    Hi **Annie** :wave:

This website has some good information and advice. It also has the following info about what will happen when you visit your GP:
    Your doctor will ask you questions, especially about whether you have wet the bed since childhood, or whether it is a new problem. He or she will do simple urine tests for infection and for diabetes. Your doctor will also check that there is nothing physically wrong with the bladder system this may require a hospital referral to a consultant urologist and/or a bladder X-ray or ultrasound scan.

The site also says it's a good idea to keep a diary detailing when you wet the bed 2–3 weeks before you see the doctor.

Good luck getting the courage to speak to someone - it may feel scary and embarrassing before you go but once you've taken that first step, you'll feel much happier knowing that you're on the way to finding out why this happens. In the meantime, this article has some tips you could try out yourself.

Finally, remember that this is a safe and anonymous place where you can post all your feelings and problems like this. As you can see from the replies on this thread, very often there are people who are going through (or have been through) exactly the same things as you!
    Cataska wrote: »
    Hi **Annie** :wave:

This website has some good information and advice. It also has the following info about what will happen when you visit your GP:

The site also says it's a good idea to keep a diary detailing when you wet the bed 2–3 weeks before you see the doctor.

Good luck getting the courage to speak to someone - it may feel scary and embarrassing before you go but once you've taken that first step, you'll feel much happier knowing that you're on the way to finding out why this happens. In the meantime, this article has some tips you could try out yourself.

Finally, remember that this is a safe and anonymous place where you can post all your feelings and problems like this. As you can see from the replies on this thread, very often there are people who are going through (or have been through) exactly the same things as you!

Ok I went to the dr finally had the courage to x
    he game me this alarm thing beacaseu told me to test it for a few days went with my mates mum telling my mum I'm going to the cinema and if the alarm doesn't work I need to come back he also said I might have a very very week bladder very he used several times and I feel so ashamed of myself becaseu then my mate stater teasing me and my m8s mum giggled glad it over and done with tho x
    Ok I went to the dr finally had the courage to x

Hi **Annie**

So glad to hear you went to the dr, that took alot of strength, please don't let anyone else's reaction deter you from accessing help.

Let us know how this alarm works out,

dp :heart:
    Well done for seeing your doctor :)

How does the alarm work?
    Well done for seeing your doctor :)

How does the alarm work?

Not good yet I'm geting less sleep than normal and the bed wetting still happening will try it for at least aweek if it dont work I'll go again x
    Thanks all x
    Not good yet I'm geting less sleep than normal and the bed wetting still happening will try it for at least aweek if it dont work I'll go again x
    Thanks all x

I've read some info about it, and it doesn't sound like a quick fix so don't worry if it seems to be taking a while for you to see an improvement :) Did the doctor explain to you how it works?
    I've read some info about it, and it doesn't sound like a quick fix so don't worry if it seems to be taking a while for you to see an improvement :) Did the doctor explain to you how it works?

:yes: And it still showing no improovement it does wake me up in the end though I'm like oh darm not again. And I only sleep 4 hrs or less anyway I can't belive I do this at 14 x
    Unfortunately you can't expect magical improvement, hopefully the GP should have explained this to you, but if its the kind of alarm that I think it is, one that wakes you up once you've wet the bed the idea is that its trains your body up to link needing a wee in the night to waking up, so like learning anything it takes time.