Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pcos

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I may have PCOS. :( Got a doc appointment on wednesday so going to mention it then, but I have a few of the symptoms. If its not that, then I don't know what it is.....

Its been in the back of my mind for some time, but I didn't wanna do the whole internet self-diagnosing thing and I was on the pill for a while, so didn't have any problems with periods then, so just sort of ignored it. But now I've been off for around 9 months and have had about 2.

I did a quick search on the forums and I've seen a few people who have mentioned it... just wanted to ask... how are you getting along now? What treatment are you getting and is it helping?

I'm a bit worried about going back on the pill... I put on so much weight which I've still not shifted. I was playing a load of rugby, training at least twice a week and then doing sport at school as well as on the treadmill in the evenings, and yet I still managed to gain weight really quickly.

Hmmm

Comments

• Options
    Hi Purplestarfish,

Best of luck with your appointment tomorrow.

It sounds like you have done quite a bit of research yourself but this is no substitute for talking to your doctor (internet research can sometimes just lead to scary info overload after all!).

Perhaps have a think about all the questions you might want to ask your doc beforehand - what else could it be, what's the best way to treat etc - and remember that it's fine to bring up your questions and concerns about treatment (for example the reasons you don't want to go back on the pill).

Let us know how you get on :)
  • Options
    Thanks for that.

Dr. said it could well be possible, so gotta have a blood test. Also getting tested for diabetes.

:grump:
  • Options
    LilzoLilzo Posts: 38 Boards Initiate
    Hi Purplestarfish,

PCOS and Diabetes are both linked to something called Insulin Resistance so that is probably why you are being tested for both. Try not to worry too much until you get your results back as it is likely the doctor is just taking extra precautions.

As PCOS and Diabetes Type II are both related to Insulin Resistance it maybe worth reading up on this a little. Insulin Resistance is something that can be managed through diet and lifestyle so it’s worth having a read around the subject.

You may find that there is a bit too much information on the net however this book on PCOS is really helpful and explains all about Insulin Resistance and how you can manage it.

Hope that’s of some help and let us know how you get on!

Lilzo :thumb: