Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

My fifty pound loaf ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Moves ever closer.
Some pundits are saying that bread may become a luxury item.

But ...this will effect the price and availability of beer breakfast cereals pies cakes gravy mix currys sausages meat etc etc. the list is almost endless.
But ...the fifty pound loaf is looming ever larger.

I don't mind being thought of as completely bonkers ...really.

I worry more about the people who only perceive the reality they are sold.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Who are these pundits?

Because other pundits are suggesting it may go up 10p

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/7929101/Price-of-bread-could-hit-record-after-Russian-wheat-export-ban.html

though personally are I think that supermarkets are likely to absorb the cost as bread is a loss leader
    My students' union shop charged higher prices, being on-site, convenience foods. In 2002, their going rate for a loaf of Robert's was 75p, where a supermarket price tag was more like 62p. 8 years later, you're lucky to get a supermarket price below £1.40.

Flour isn't going extinct. There isn't VAT on it. No mills have caught fire recently. It's not like RAM (computer memory). RAM prices fluctuate and goes up when one of their Asian factories blow up. You don't get mills blowing up, so what is actually happening?

Not that I'm complaining too much though because I have a breadmaker, and supermarket bread rolls are still relatively cheap.
    There's already a £21 loaf available.
    Moves ever closer.
    Some pundits are saying that bread may become a luxury item.

Evidence?
    Monserrat wrote: »
    My students' union shop charged higher prices, being on-site, convenience foods. In 2002, their going rate for a loaf of Robert's was 75p, where a supermarket price tag was more like 62p. 8 years later, you're lucky to get a supermarket price below £1.40.

Flour isn't going extinct. There isn't VAT on it. No mills have caught fire recently. It's not like RAM (computer memory). RAM prices fluctuate and goes up when one of their Asian factories blow up. You don't get mills blowing up, so what is actually happening?

Not that I'm complaining too much though because I have a breadmaker, and supermarket bread rolls are still relatively cheap.
    It's a very good question. Compared with some basic items, the price of bread has gone through the roof. If, say, milk had followed a similar pattern, a two-pint/ 1L bottle could now cost around 1.40 too.
    It's all relative though. Prices have gone up as wages have gone up. 5 years ago a loaf of co-op own brand bread was 65p. It's now about 75p. My pay has gone up by at least several hundred pounds a month since then.
    Ah, your mystical £50 loaf that has been coming "this time next year" for about the past three years. Always gives me a giggle.

ETA: I think my last loaf cost me 99p. This time next year though, yeah?
    I just bought a Hovis loaf for £1, 22p cheaper than it was last week.
    I used to buy Kwik Save No Frills bread and sausages, really really cheap, you can't get really cheap bread like that anymore.
    I remember in 1998, Sainsbury's selling their own-brand bread at 7p a loaf. They limited it to 6 loaves per customer per spend, and that price didn't last for long.
    katralla wrote: »
    I used to buy Kwik Save No Frills bread and sausages, really really cheap, you can't get really cheap bread like that anymore.

Perhaps bread may not be such an issue but I'd worry about the content of cheap sausages.
    Yea, bread is getting really expensive. A loaf of 1kg is about 1 or 2€, I don't really know exactly, tho will find out soon, cuz I am doing my groceries in a bit.

But if it gets over I don't know 4 or 5€ I will just not buy bread anymore? And bake my own bread if it tickles my fancy? Why should I pay 50€ for fluor, water and spices?
    Bread does seem to have really jumped up in price in the last few years. My local Costcutters (which is effectively an Irish version of Spar) sells some of its bread at 99p. There's usually only about three or four days until the Best Before date on them, but it's more than enough for me. And even if I do have bread going out of date, it's a perfect excuse to make some bread and butter pudding. Delicious with plenty of raisins and sultanas, I might add.

The price will almost certainly continue to rise. Everything else seems to be going up - except fuel, which seems to have come down slightly in the last month or so. Again, that one's not too much of an issue for me. I can just head down to the Republic of Ireland and get my petrol there instead, where it's slightly cheaper.

Whether we'll see a £50 loaf anytime soon is open to question, but if they keep printing money at the rate Zimbabwe is doing, your average loaf will soon cost about £3million...
    Teagan wrote: »
    Perhaps bread may not be such an issue but I'd worry about the content of cheap sausages.

I like cheap sausages, I think they're mainly bread and gristle but... I like them.
    Going the other way on prices, take this for an example: In 1993, I bought a set of 4 Energizer batteries for £3.59. Now I can buy 16 for £4.99.

But yeah, most non-electrical goods will go up with inflation. Just bread and alcohol seems to be targeted. Can't comment on tobacco sorry, as I don't smoke.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Yea, bread is getting really expensive. A loaf of 1kg is about 1 or 2€, I don't really know exactly, tho will find out soon, cuz I am doing my groceries in a bit.

But if it gets over I don't know 4 or 5€ I will just not buy bread anymore? And bake my own bread if it tickles my fancy? Why should I pay 50€ for fluor, water and spices?

Ok, fuck, the "good" bread is already 4€ á kg. The still good, but not perfect bread (presliced, and in plasticbag) is about 2€...

That said, Austria has a pretty big bread culture and I could probably live of the best of best loafs alone, they are so fucking tasty, but nothing for a single living student.
    Warburtons is still nearing £2 slowly, but its delicious!
    50p for a loaf of Lidl bread, however, it's rather like chewing on a brick.
    Going the other way on prices, take this for an example: In 1993, I bought a set of 4 Energizer batteries for £3.59. Now I can buy 16 for £4.99.
    They taste better than value bread too...
    Mmm battery acid.

But yeah, most non-electrical goods will go up with inflation. Just bread and alcohol seems to be targeted. Can't comment on tobacco sorry, as I don't smoke.

I have noticed this in other threads - your memory is superhuman. How on earth do you remember what you paid for batteries 17 years ago?!
    jamelia wrote: »
    I have noticed this in other threads - your memory is superhuman. How on earth do you remember what you paid for batteries 17 years ago?!

It's my synaesthesia - coloured hearing and coloured memory, but only my long term memory. My short term is non-existent. Plus, I only have about 10% eyesight left, so if there is less detail for me to see, then I guess it means my memory has room for information that was otherwise taken by normal eyesight.