Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Taken In Hand?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Someone used this term the other day and I thought it was a D/s term. I googled it and it is not; although the two seem very similar. Can anyone express the differenc{sw} between the two? Thanks!:wave:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the important distinction is that d/s relationships tend to confine themselves to bedroom play, whereas a "taken in hand" relationship can be a very complete and fulfilling lifestyle choice for both partners. Simply-put, a "taken in hand" relationship is an ultra-traditional partnership where the man is the authority figure and is in complete control of the household. Unlike a conventional "master/slave" d/s relationship, the partnership is based on equality and mutual respect. There is no abuse or submission. The woman prefers her man to be "in control", but both partners exist to fulfil each other's needs, sexually and emotionally. I don't go for the submissive woman role, but can definitely see a certain attraction in being with a strong and dominant man. :blush:
    Unlike a conventional "master/slave" d/s relationship, the partnership is based on equality and mutual respect.

Say what????
    katralla wrote: »
    Say what????

Not something I have personal experience of, I hasten to add LOL! But it takes all sorts, as they say!!! :lol:

Although a taken in hand relationship has a strong sexual element, it goes a lot deeper than that, so shouldn't be confused with d/s sex games. To the OP, if a woman has suggested this type of relationship to you, you need to be very clear about the distinction. Men who can handle that level of control in a loving and supportive way, without abusing or bullying their partners, are rare beasts, but they do exist.
    Taken In Hand?
    Not something I have personal experience of, I hasten to add LOL! But it takes all sorts, as they say!!! :lol:

Although a taken in hand relationship has a strong sexual element, it goes a lot deeper than that, so shouldn't be confused with d/s sex games. To the OP, if a woman has suggested this type of relationship to you, you need to be very clear about the distinction. Men who can handle that level of control in a loving and supportive way, without abusing or bullying their partners, are rare beasts, but they do exist.

TY for your excellent response overthehill. To be clear a friend stated that someone I know needs to be "taken in hand", but this will never happen for many reasons. BTW does this sort of relationship only exist for married couples? Seems so?:)
    BTW does this sort of relationship only exist for married couples? Seems so?:)

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't have said so. However, there has to be an element of permanence and commitment from both partners for the relationship to work. It could work equally well with long-term partners who, for whatever reason, decide not to marry but, I think if you tried it with someone with whom you couldn't see a long term future, it would be little more than a bedroom thing.