Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Going to interviews while you still have a job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My work place, it's hard to get time off (for example, you have to book summer off in February/March), I can't get any time off until mid September...

Anyway, I wanna get outta my job. I don't enjoy it and most of all, I don't want it to make me a bitter or angry person.

However, it's really annoying to get time off for anything... I really wanna go for interviews when they come, but then I know a lot of jobs are quite particular as to when they hold them (my previous job, some employers told you to come with a few days notice, I'd need a few weeks).

Any advice?

I don't really wanna tell my boss I am looking to leave and if you get sick, you have to have an interview the day you get back to say why you were ill (so pulling a sicky is not an option, plus if they found out or I was grassed up I'd be in shit)...

I suck at lying...

Is there a way to make potential new employers more flexible with your interview time?

I really don't wanna be stuck in this place for years. :impissed:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Generally I've found places are quite flexible when it comes to when they hold their interviews - one of my friends was on honeymoon when interviews were being held and they waited two weeks until she came back to interview her even though they had set days they were hoping for. Just depends how quickly they need to hire someone. I think it would be fairly difficult to tell them you couldnt have an interview for a few weeks, but it's perfectly reasonably to say you couldn't go for an interview for one week or so.

I think the only thing you can do is ask if they can interview you on a different day and hopefully they will - I'm sure they understand that not everyone can do the days they would like.

With regards to your current job, that sounds tough. I'm lucky because my employers know I'm looking and are happy to give me the time, within reason, to go to interviews. I have called in sick once, but again work are quite good about that and don't have anything like what you have.

If the interview would only take half a day or less, could you say you had a doctors/dentist/hospital/vet appointment or something? Or family emergency? That's all I can think of really.

Would it be so bad to tell your boss you need time off for an interview? In my case, because of a jobs freeze it's very hard for us to progress within the company hence why my boss is generally quite happy to let me go for interviews - he actually said 'we don't expect you to stay here forever'. I think if you explained to your boss that you're looking to progress, they could be more understanding than you think.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kat_B wrote: »
    Would it be so bad to tell your boss you need time off for an interview? In my case, because of a jobs freeze it's very hard for us to progress within the company hence why my boss is generally quite happy to let me go for interviews - he actually said 'we don't expect you to stay here forever'. I think if you explained to your boss that you're looking to progress, they could be more understanding than you think.
    There's a lot of bullying in my place. I don't feel comfortable talking to my boss about anything... She's bullied my mate a lot, I don't want to be next.

I just try to avoid her tbh, or any interaction with any bosses. It's not so much that I'm scared, more that I just want to be left alone.

I could try the hospital approach, so long as I don't need a sick note.
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Namaste,

I know quite a few employers will consider 'out-of-hours' interviews, recognising that people often find it difficult to take time out of their existing job to do the interview.

If you are having issues with your boss at your current organisation, is there other people in the company you can talk to this about? If they knew you were planning to leave because of the attitude of your boss they may take some action.

Olly