Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Flights are booked...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Me and a friend are going to be doing a quick two week trip around Europe...well we're going to start off in Paris then to Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Munich, Venice and ending up in Rome :)

Just wanted tips and suggestions on places to go and what to do, we're looking to be in most places at least two days! And relying on sleeper trains to get us around (god hope there comfy!) :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey piecesofme :wave:

Very jealous of you right now - that sounds like loads of fun! I used to live in Munich so have done a fair few sleeper trains on weekends away - my one recommendation would be to get some earplugs as people will be getting on and off all night and it can get noisy if you're trying to sleep. Here are some of my top tips for Munich....

A great place to stay is The Tent. It's basically a huge tent where you can rent a bed or a sleeping mat and it's really cheap and sociable - campfires, cheap food etc. You can read some reviews here.

Once you've got your accomodation sorted, there's loads to do. Buy a two day travelcard (or however long you're there) and you can get around the city really easily on the underground, overground, trams and buses. If you're after some history, a trip to Dachau is really interesting (if more than a little harrowing) and easy to get to from Munich centre. Also, the Hofbrauhaus is both historical and a must-see on the tourist trail - look at the ceiling and you'll see the barely hidden remains of swastikas left over from when Hitler held his meetings there. In the city centre, you can do a free walking tour - you just tip the guide afterwards if you've enjoyed it (I did one in Berlin and it was great)

Munich's also great for stuff to do outdoors. You have to check out one of the many many beergardens - probably the most popular is the Chinese Tower but my fave is the Hirschgarten; it's cheaper, less touristy, has deer to look at and true to tradition, you wash your own beer mug out! Bear in mind as well that if you're on a budget, Bavarian law states that everyone is welcome to bring their own food to eat with beer purchased at a beergarden and you'll often see whole families with picnic feasts laid out on tablecloths in front of them.

Munich's also really close to the mountains and you can very easily get to some beautiful mountain lakes for a walk and a swim/pedalo/fish etc. My fave was always Starnberg as it's very easy to get to from town. If you fancy actually getting into the mountains, the Zugspitze can be easily reached by train and you can head up in a cablecar. Anywhere with a mountain called Wank has got to be worth a visit!

Finally, for tips on what might be going on whilst you're there, check out the Toytown boards, used by expats to chat about what's happening (you can also use it for Berlin and other cities).

I hope this helps! Just let me know if you need any other tips...:thumb:

Cat xx
    Coooooool, excited i bet?! Have fun!

Btw Cataska, great post. Deffo gonna look at some of those links you've put up :)
    Thanks for all the info and links, I will defiantly have a look at them :thumb:

GoodFella-I am so, so excited...even though it's like 10 weeks away I can't wait :)