Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Negotiating a salary

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys

I've been offered a dream job by a fantastic company, and am going to meet with the CEO on 4th August to discuss the finer detail.

In our initial correspondence he said that the way he was seeing things going was an initial full-time post in London without travel expenses paid, but that he could work it in a number of ways. I live in Bristol and am unwilling to relocate.

The job he's offered me is ground-breaking within the company and I'm coming to it brand new; there hasn't been anything like it within the company before and I've never done anything quite like it either.

How do I go about negotiating my salary? It's obviously not going to be feasible for them not to pay my travel expenses; even if I get it to 4 days a week that's about 400 quid per week, so I'm going to assume that either travel or hotel stays will be covered.

I don't even know where to start thinking about a salary range when it's a totally new role!

Comments

• Options
    Presumably thought it's not a new role in the wider industry? You can normally glean average salaries for various jobs by searching for them on job sites. Then you just need to determine if you are average or better...

Otherwise just pick a figure you'd be happy with and add a bit.
  • Options
    I am unsure exactly what you mean about the cost of travel to and from Bristol - do you want your salary to be enough to cover that or that you expect them to pay for you to to come up from bristol and to stay in a hotel. I used to work with a girl who lived in bristol and worked in London and she used to work 4 days in the office and pay rent in a house in london and cover her own travel expenses. I am pretty sure that if the company paid the cost then it would be seen as a taxable benefit and you would have to pay tax on them - like a company car or parking space if your in london - so its probably worth negotiating a higher salary.