Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Quitting job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so this is the first job I've ever had, just a bit of part time waitressing to do during the summer before I start Uni.
The thing is I'll be moving into my new flat in 3weeks time and really if I think about it, the money I'd spend on petrol to drive to my job (about 45mins drive) is really not worth it as I am only minimum wage.
Thing is I am really really nervous about telling them that I'll be leaving, seeing as I've only had the job a couple of weeks now and by the time I leave it will only have been a bit over a month.
I know they'll probably be annoyed at me. So how do I even begin to say it, what is normal procedure?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would probably stick it out for the three weeks, maybe ask for longer shifts so that the travel expense is worth it.

If you def want to quit, I would follow the advice here and speak to your boss/write a letter/both http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/working/leaving/resignwithdignity
    Quitting Job

Your best writing them a formal letter with a date you want to cease employment, if you give them enough time they shouldn't kick up to much of a fuss.
    I was going to stick it out the 3 weeks, poss longer.
    mmm I don't know, writing a letter might be a bit weird when I can just say to them when I'n there
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi loveable_secret,

The best thing to do is ask to speak to your manager away from the restaurant floor (in an office etc) and explain your situation.

As you've been working there less than a month you don't legally need to give them any notice - but then nor do they, so they could immediately terminate your contract. However, if you've made a good impression they may prefer that you work until they can find a replacement member of staff.

Lots of people take on jobs that they then realise aren't what they were expecting; so you won't be the first person to leave shortly after you start. If you explain the reasons why you've decided to leave your manager may be able to find a solution - longer shifts, share the journey with a colleage, increase your wage etc. Alternatively if it's a chain there may be openings closer to where you are moving to (or they might know someone in that area who is looking for a member of staff).

You might be required to put your resignation in writing - this is just a formality so they have some evidence that you have decided to resign.

But, as katralla says, make sure you resign with dignity: they may be prepared to write you a good reference, or they may end up moving their themselves!

Good luck,

Olly
    I wouldn't worry about it :) I've had lots of waitressing jobs and people come and go all the time. And if they're only paying you minimum wage, like most of those kinda jobs do, they can't expect massive commitment. Like the above advice has said, just ask to have a word with your manager, and explain the situation and they'll understand. Perhaps try to give them some notice, maybe a week or two, rather than it being out the blue. And if there's a procedure or something they'll tell you what to do.
    Thanks everyone for the advice :)

Still a bit nervous but at least I have an idea now.