Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Yoga

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'd like to try yoga, mostly for health reasons...

What are your experiences and are there any types you'd recommend?

Comments

• Options
    I did antenatal yoga and then mummy and me yoga - I reallly liked both of them it was really lots of nice stretching and a bit of muscle toning followed by relaxation (though songs as well for the babies). I want to do more - just need to get my baby to sleep more and then i will be back doing lots more.
  • Options
    I do Hatha Yoga, it's really good.

I go to a small class at a centre just for women, it's really nice as it's the same women every week (about 6 - 8 in the class) and I do the beginners class. I used to do it at a big gym when I was at university, it was okay but the atmosphere is nicer where I do it now. It was a big class and different people everytime so not as easy to progress together. It's good to improve flexibility and makes you strong.

Also I've got the Geri Halliwell Yoga dvds, the second one (GeriBody Yoga) is the better one, they were really cheap on amazon (one of them was 1p) and are good for practicing at home. I'd recommend a class with a teacher though rather than just dvds as you need someone to correct your postures and to encourage you etc.

You don't really need anything to do yoga, maybe a yoga mat but if you go to a class they are usually provided, and loose comfortable clothes, the usual thing you'd wear for exercise.

If you've got any specific questions feel free to ask.
  • Options
    What differences do you guys feel from it?
  • Options
    I did Hatha Yoga for about a year - it's brilliant if you haven't previously done any yoga work as it focuses a lot on the breathing and some 'simple' positions.

I found it tiring at first, but once your body gets used to getting itself into unnatural positions I felt that the yoga was really a calming influence on my life. I'd go to a yoga class after uni feeling very stressed and came out relaxed as anything. So it's definitely worthwhile.

Classes I found were fairly big and there weren't many people who came every week - so it was hard to get to know people. But at the lessons this wasn't important because yoga is always about individual gain and self improvement not competing with others.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    luc_bluc_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    Hi Namaste

It's great to hear that you're looking to take up yoga.

I've tried it a couple of times and found that it really works your core, so it's great for strengthening and toning your muscles.

This article on TheSite.org should give you some more info.

Let us know how you get on with it :)
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    What differences do you guys feel from it?

More flexible, relaxed, supple. I generally feel much better in mood after an hour of yoga than before it.
  • Options
    I went to one yoga class and came out feeling a bit angry annoyed and ripped off. I'd rather do a dance class tbh, but it looks like I'm outnumbered and... it's always worth a go. I would still go and try out a different class myself, but the one I went to was really slooooooooooooooooooooooow.
  • Options
    Yeah the pace varies quite a lot. Most beginners classes go quite slowly. If you are trying to lose weight, you don't burn loads of calories with yoga (for someone my size its about 235Kcal per hour compared to about 400Kcal per hour gentle swimming) but it is nice. I do quite a gentle class so it doesn't really make me sweat, I wouldn't choose it as my only form of exercise but it does add variety to my exercise programme.

I think the best thing is to find a class and give it a go. See if you like it.
  • Options
    If you're new to yoga, I'd start with a beginner's class and see how you get on. I found it leaves you feeling relaxed yet energised, more positive and on a natural high (although this was after going to a more advanced class as a beginner...also found that I couldn't stretch far enough on some of the moves!)

Definitely go to a class so that the teacher can come round and correct your posture - slight adjustments really make a difference. Then you can always do some reading about yoga principles and practise with DVDs at home to supplement what you learn in the classes :)
  • Options
    Luce wrote: »
    Definitely go to a class so that the teacher can come round and correct your posture - slight adjustments really make a difference. Then you can always do some reading about yoga principles and practise with DVDs at home to supplement what you learn in the classes :)

:yes: Totally agree with this advice, some moves may look like you're doing them right until a teacher then shows you how to do them correctly and wow ... you suddenly realise the difference! Yoga is great for relaxation and building strength. I also like Body Balance which is a combination of Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi ..... let us know what you decide.

dp :heart:
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I went to one yoga class and came out feeling a bit angry annoyed and ripped off. I'd rather do a dance class tbh, but it looks like I'm outnumbered and... it's always worth a go. I would still go and try out a different class myself, but the one I went to was really slooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I got offered a free hot yoga class this winter and I felt quite ridiculous afterwards. 10 minutes in I realized I had no idea how long the class was and I was already waiting to finish.

Like you I'm more keen on stuff like dancing or biking so it was excruciatingly slow and boring for me as well. However I'm glad I did go as now I can say I don't want to do it again. ;)
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I got offered a free hot yoga class this winter and I felt quite ridiculous afterwards. 10 minutes in I realized I had no idea how long the class was and I was already waiting to finish.

Like you I'm more keen on stuff like dancing or biking so it was excruciatingly slow and boring for me as well. However I'm glad I did go as now I can say I don't want to do it again. ;)

How do they make it hot? I've heard of hot yoga but I'm curious as to how it works.
  • Options
    fit teacher I hope
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    fit teacher I hope

lol!

There is an article about Yoga in the current issue of Zest magazine (August 2010), it's quite interesting and has some postures for you to try.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of trying Bikram yoga, the hot one now.
  • Options
    Bikram/hot yoga is in a heated room I think!

I just had a pilates class.. lol, I thought it would be easy. It's not!
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »

I just had a pilates class.. lol, I thought it would be easy. It's not!

:thumb: Do you know what sort of pilates it is? I've done a bit of STOTT Pilates which is really good and I've got a dvd for Body Control Pilates. Pilates is hard yet it looks so easy.

Did you try out any yoga yet?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    How do they make it hot? I've heard of hot yoga but I'm curious as to how it works.

They used some machine, it also seemed to be a moisturizing equipment. I didn't think it was particularly hot in there mind. For me the "hot" experience was totally useless. It's been some craze in Iceland, every other yoga class offered is hot yoga. I think some offer hotter yoga than I got. I'm definitely no expert. ;)