Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

"BAN THIS FILTH!" screamed the Daily Mail editor. Again.

I'm getting fed-up of this bollocks. Says the Mail this morning:

"David Cameron turned up the pressure on Facebook last night after the website defied demands to take down sick messages of support for gunman Raoul Moat. The Premier attacked the social networking site for doing nothing to prevent hundreds of people posting tributes to the killer. In the Commons, an angry Mr Cameron said Moat was a 'callous murderer' and undeserving of sympathy. He took the extraordinary step of ordering Downing Street officials to contact Facebook, which has allowed 30,000 people to join a bizarre 'tribute group' glorifying Moat's crimes, to lodge a formal protest."

For fuck's sake. Another case of freedom of speech, but only when I agree with the message. Let's get this clear. Raoul Moat was a callous, shotgun-wielding cunt and I'm frankly glad he's dead. And this idea that he's somehow a hero (or a "legend", as one group on Facebook calls him) is utterly fucking ridiculous. There's nothing heroic about a violent narcissist and killer in my eyes.

However, even the most stupid of idiots on the internet (and boy does the internet have plenty of them to offer) deserve the right to freedom of speech. They're not harming anyone by spouting their shit, as far as I can tell. So these calls for Facebook to close down these pages are wrong on every level. I'd argue the right to talk, no matter how nonsensical what that person is saying is, is a very important one.

Agree or disagree? Discuss.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I'm getting fed-up of this bollocks.

Why on earth do you continue reading The Daily Mail then? Discuss.
    Ffs, we've had internet bulletin boards for the last 15 years. Before that, we had newsgroups and usenet. What's so special about Facebook? The news is just Facebook Facebook Facebook these days (when they're not talking about foxes of course). People can write what they like. This is the internet. Information can be and will be used against you.
    dailymail.jpg
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Ffs, we've had internet bulletin boards for the last 15 years. Before that, we had newsgroups and usenet. What's so special about Facebook? The news is just Facebook Facebook Facebook these days (when they're not talking about foxes of course). People can write what they like. This is the internet. Information can be and will be used against you.
    ...don't forget Twtitter too. Facebook and Twitter seems to be the whole Internet these days.
    Teagan wrote: »
    Why on earth do you continue reading The Daily Mail then? Discuss.
    As Aladdin would say, it's a case of keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. If you wish to be pedantic, I noticed later that the Daily Telegraph are also running this story on almost exactly the same angle as well.

As for the news being all about Facebook, it does concern me just how much journalists rely on it to obtain information.
    As Aladdin would say, it's a case of keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. If you wish to be pedantic, I noticed later that the Daily Telegraph are also running this story on almost exactly the same angle as well.

Well, you just KNOW that whatever they write is going to raise the bile in your throat so just treat is with the disdain it deserves. I doubt you'd find more than a couple of people who are ardent Daily Mail readers on this forum so it's all rather moot. :)
    Teagan wrote: »
    Well, you just KNOW that whatever they write is going to raise the bile in your throat so just treat is with the disdain it deserves.
    There's your approach towards me summed up in one sentence. ;)
    Even though I prefer Cameron and Clegg to Brown, I still think that Cameron needs to get a reality check with ED (Encyclopaedia Dramatica). With the amount of spin that the Daily Mail puts to their stories, they could also do with a dose of ED. Monserrat disclaimer - I don't support most of the trolls' behaviour from ED, but I do agree with a lot of their views.
    Free Speech and the Internets

Link

Like all other freedoms, free speech ceases to exist once you are on the internet. Unlike real life, which could be likened to a truck that things just get dumped on, the internet is actually a series of tubes, each of which has an owner who wields total power over everything passing through said tube. The internet could thus be considered a collection of despotic nation-states, each ruled by its own tyrant. Knowing this, it is clear that freedoms as we know them do not exist on the internet, and yet most people believe just the opposite. Some dictators even encourage this misconception by making their empires seem free, in order to lure their subjects into a false sense of security. In any case, much lulz ensue when misguided netizens finally come crashing up against reality. Many victims of this misunderstanding have in fact become so misguided that they proceed to directly dispute the actions of the local dictator, whom they contend is infringing on their right to free speech. The cycle inevitably repeats until one party gives up.
    Yawn, nothing to see here people. Move along.
    Sorry but I don't see the story being about a facebook page, but more about what Cameron said about it and the general approach towards someone with serious mental health issues.
    MoK wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't see the story being about a facebook page, but more about what Cameron said about it and the general approach towards someone with serious mental health issues.

What I see is that no laws were broken and no public outcry demanded anything.
    Face book have had to pull content cos of our great leaders feelings.
    Isn't that how dictators operate?
    Are we no longer a nation under law but a nation under the feelings and whims of the leader?
    Best hope the leader doesn't read the drugs board on here or that might upset his feelings too.
    The page in question that Call Me Dave was referring to has been removed. It turns out it was deleted by one of the page's admins this afternoon. I wonder why...
    The page in question that Call Me Dave was referring to has been removed. It turns out it was deleted by one of the page's admins this afternoon. I wonder why...

Because The Sun outed her, and because she was unable to hide under the veil of anonyminity, she packed it in.

She was full of shit during her interview as well.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Because The Sun outed her, and because she was unable to hide under the veil of anonyminity, she packed it in.
    Just as suspected, she turned out to a keyboard warrior - and not even someone who can actually fucking type sentences correctly at that.

What is it about Facebook that attracts so many people who are completely illiterate?
    Bizarre isn't it? And exactly the same as those who feel the urge to leave comments on YouTube. Thick-as-pigshit utter morons, the lot of them.
    What is it about Facebook that attracts so many people who are completely illiterate?
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Bizarre isn't it? And exactly the same as those who feel the urge to leave comments on YouTube. Thick-as-pigshit utter morons, the lot of them.

Yeah, and don't get me started on those mindless wankers on discussion boards.

Oh, hang on...
    Banning it would be too problematic, and difficult to enforce.

social networking is benign, and no evil thing.
    kira wrote: »
    Banning it would be too problematic, and difficult to enforce.

social networking is benign, and no evil thing.

It may not be evil, but there should be some sort of IQ test before you're eligible to use it.

The number of incidents I deal with day in and day out involving mindless fuckwits is staggering.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I'm convinced there's only about 5 genuine commenters (or commentards, as I've seen them called in some places) on YouTube, who are paid to spend all day writing illegible mindless drivel on every single video.
    MoK wrote: »
    Yeah, and don't get me started on those mindless wankers on discussion boards.

Oh, hang on...

:D