Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Council Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and my boyfriend are moving into a flat for the first time that has the council tax band A.
I am a student (I'm 17 still for a few months) but he is 22.

What happens in this scenario?...do I pay council tax as well or is there some sort of discount?
He will be working, but he's yet to find a job in Scotland as he currently lives in England.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i *think* if youre a student, youre exempt, so your partner would get a single persons discount
    If you're a full time student living with a non-student, you will receive a 25% discount on your council tax bill for the property as long as you remain a student. The council usually require you to fill in a form and send off some proof of your student status in order to get the dicsount.
    Thanks, that's good news :)
    Me and my boyfriend are moving into a flat for the first time that has the council tax band A.
    I am a student (I'm 17 still for a few months) but he is 22.

What happens in this scenario?...do I pay council tax as well or is there some sort of discount?
    He will be working, but he's yet to find a job in Scotland as he currently lives in England.

There has never been discount in tax payment.
    garfield2 wrote: »
    There has never been discount in tax payment.

Yes there is, as already said she will get 25% off for being a student, and you also get 25% off if it's single occupancy.
    And about council tax, just phone your local tax office, they can send you a form or you can collect one and apply for housing benifet and/or council tax benifit, its all in the same form (it is in Greenwich)

You may be surprised and get help with your rent also :chin:
This discussion has been closed.