Home Home, Law & Money
Ongoing maintenance - the boards are undergoing some ongoing, intermittent maintenance. Pages might load slightly slower than usual and there may be very short periods where the boards are offline.

Council Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and my boyfriend are moving into a flat for the first time that has the council tax band A.
I am a student (I'm 17 still for a few months) but he is 22.

What happens in this scenario?...do I pay council tax as well or is there some sort of discount?
He will be working, but he's yet to find a job in Scotland as he currently lives in England.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i *think* if youre a student, youre exempt, so your partner would get a single persons discount
    If you're a full time student living with a non-student, you will receive a 25% discount on your council tax bill for the property as long as you remain a student. The council usually require you to fill in a form and send off some proof of your student status in order to get the dicsount.
    Thanks, that's good news :)
    Me and my boyfriend are moving into a flat for the first time that has the council tax band A.
    I am a student (I'm 17 still for a few months) but he is 22.

What happens in this scenario?...do I pay council tax as well or is there some sort of discount?
    He will be working, but he's yet to find a job in Scotland as he currently lives in England.

There has never been discount in tax payment.
    garfield2 wrote: »
    There has never been discount in tax payment.

Yes there is, as already said she will get 25% off for being a student, and you also get 25% off if it's single occupancy.
    And about council tax, just phone your local tax office, they can send you a form or you can collect one and apply for housing benifet and/or council tax benifit, its all in the same form (it is in Greenwich)

You may be surprised and get help with your rent also :chin:
This discussion has been closed.