Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Three Peaks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I really, really, really wanna do it!
I've always wanted to do something like it since I saw Cheryl Cole & all the other celebrities climb mount kilimanjaro, then 2 of my teachers did the Three Peaks and it's sort of inspired me..

Has anyone else done it?
How fit do you need to be to do it?
How would I get round to do it?

Any information would be great :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I haven't done the three peaks but I did climb Snowdon last week, and I know people who've climbed Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike. In isolation the climbs are straightforward enough if you have a decent level of fitness and some experience hillwalking. Any of the three could be climbed by older or less fit people, given enough time. You will need a better fitness level to do all three in succession, but I think the main difficulties are in the organisation. If you have someone to drive you between the peaks, and/or a team of people to share the driving, it will be easier.

Have you done any/much hillwalking before?
    I would rather do them individually to take in the views at leisure.
    I haven't done ANYTHING like climb a mountain before...
    I walk like 2 miles pretty much every day (to & from school) + then extra walking, but hillwalking? the extent of that to me is walking up a couple of hills to get to my house, but nothing steep...

So pretty unexperienced...
    I haven't done them. but have walked up Ingleborough. Takes a few hours.

On a clear day you can see Morecambe North-north-West in the distance.
    If you've not done any hill walking, get started!
    I would get some walking in before you consider doing it! The Lakes are quite good for walking, but if I was you I'd look into joining a walking/rambling group and get some experience that way. It's not just the fact of being able to do it it's the safety aspect as well and what to do in certain conditions as they can quickly change when you're out walking!
    I'm working on increasing my fitness now, and my old tutor said that she spoke to someone who's linked with the school & he does lots of walking and things so she said he'd do the three peaks with me after the summer,
    But apparently Snowdon is meant to be quiet nice to walk so I'm going to see if I can do that :)
    Do you have a pair of walking boots? I'd strongly recommend buying some and breaking them in properly before you embark on your hillwalking. They'll be your most important piece of kit!

Snowdon is nice, it's a shame about the railway though. There are lots of different tracks, varying in difficulty depending on how steep/technical an ascent you want.