Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Half Marathon

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So, I'm thinking of doing this:

http://www.unicef.org.uk/regions/products/?product=81

Only slight problem is it's been years since I did any real exercise. I'm not totally unfit. I used to do a lot of swimming (competative) and walking.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice about getting prepared for it. It's 91 days away.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think if you havent done any exercise for years and havent been training for it, then youll do yourself an injury
    There are lots of different programs (well all pretty similar) the term I've heard is "from couch to 5k" so if you google that you can find lots of tips to help.
    Here is an article from the magazine from my gym
    http://www.experiencelifemag.com/search-results.html?account=46f2f7776922&as_keyword=from+couch+to+marathon
    That one looks pretty nice as they give you a schedule for each week/month... not that I would know, I wouldn't run from a hungry bear :p

or another found online
    http://www.marathon-training-schedule.com/couch-to-5k.html
    my name wrote: »
    I wouldn't run from a hungry bear :p
    And so the Lord God invented the shotgun.
    I think if it is 90 days away, you are best not to do it as you will most likely hurt yourself.
    Hi Avizandum :wave:

Fist of all, good on you for thinking of challenging yourself for a great cause! As an events fundraiser for YouthNet (one who manages to rope herself in for half the fundraising events herself, I might add :d ) I know first hand how much of an extra push the commitment to charity will make with your training, as well as the great feeling it gives you once you've completed the run and raised loads of money for Unicef.

However, as SuzyCreamcheese and G-Raffe say, you need to have a good think about whether you'll be fit enough to take this on in 90 days without injuring yourself. It does depend on your current level of fitness and it may be possible but you have to be careful not to push yourself so hard that you do yourself an injury....cos that's no fun!

You might find it useful to look at the Runners World website - they have numerous training plans for all different levels along with training tips etc. Have a read through their expert information and if you feel like you'd be OK with what they describe, then go for it!! If not, you may be better off starting out with a 10K and building up to a half marathon next year, when you'll have months to train and will be able to really enjoy the experience! Unicef have places in the Bupa 10K next May so you could do that, then be ready to step up your training for next year's Royal Parks.

Hope that helps, let us know what you decide...:razz:

Cat x
    Thanks for the advice. I decided to seek the opinion of my doctor due to a couple of things and he advised against trying to do it in such a short space if time due to a knee injury last year. He advised I should do sone shorter runs first to see how my knee will cope and to build its strength up.
    what did you do to your knee? You should check out www.kneeguru.co.uk for great info in knee problems
    I do a fair bit of running, though I dont regularly go over 6/7 miles. I still think I would take a bit of time in building up for doing the 13.1 miles in one go.
    Ligament damage significant enough to warrant surgery. That was Feb last year
    To be fair if you were average joe (injury free) you could actually complete training for a half marathon within 90 days. All of the running websites, runners world inc. do a basic beginners half marathon training schedule covering 12 weeks. This is the plan i was working to with regards to my half marathon.

Although that said it does sound like you've made the right decision based on your knee injury as it sounds like it was a serious injury. Good luck if you decide to do it next year :) I've had to forfeit my half marathon for this year, so looking at doing next year's Robin Hood 1/2 instead.
    Didn't eddie izzard train for just 5 weeks?
    Oh I've done a Marathon before
    this is how I started I had a few months to get ready so first I woke us 6-7 and went for a earlie jog like usual I do everyday now I love it lated I would just have fun weather it be rock climbing or swimming for a 2 hours at most and even read a book then I would get my bike and ride it a good few hours
    then do what I normally do
    next day I go out in the morning and do the same but a longer morning job and after doing all I did the first day I would then go for a jog after all that I would go out for dinner picnic or something fun to do so my day not full of sports I started a football club and There alot of running involved in that and other things like basket ball one the day of the room I was feeling very lively and I ran it all in under 30 minutes didnt walk ran it all x

Good luck with it x
    **Annie** wrote: »
    I ran it all in under 30 minutes didnt walk ran it all x

You've halved the world record for a half marathon if you ran it in under 30 minutes ;)
    **Annie** wrote: »
    Oh I've done a Marathon before
    this is how I started I had a few months to get ready so first I woke us 6-7 and went for a earlie jog like usual I do everyday now I love it lated I would just have fun weather it be rock climbing or swimming for a 2 hours at most and even read a book then I would get my bike and ride it a good few hours
    then do what I normally do
    next day I go out in the morning and do the same but a longer morning job and after doing all I did the first day I would then go for a jog after all that I would go out for dinner picnic or something fun to do so my day not full of sports I started a football club and There alot of running involved in that and other things like basket ball one the day of the room I was feeling very lively and I ran it all in under 30 minutes didnt walk ran it all x

Good luck with it x

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=142409&page=2

Reoccurance of a previous incarnation of what has been a long string of the same poster?