Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Special Constables

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to do something with my time, and I've been researching into Special Constables. I'm keen, but not sure if it's for me. Anyone have any personal stories? Even if you're a regular cop, or have worked with Specials.

I'm just a little confused by the application process. I'm interested in joining on the Merseyside Police, but if you visit this page: http://www.merseyside.police.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2796 - and enter the job title as anything other than "Any" or "Force wide", there aren't any vacancies. May be a stupid question but I'm wanting to be certain I understand, what exactly falls under force wide? (There is one vacancy for a Special Constable, so I guess I'm lucky there but still want to be certain if force-wide just makes the role vary.)

On another note though, to make this a bit of a chat & debate, I read this in the information pack. "Character and previous convictions" - it made me giggle. :razz:

Comments

• Options
    Speak to Whowhere, he's a peeler
  • Options
    One of the problems for all Police Forces at the moment is the uncertainty over funding. Specials have to undergo training before they are allowed out on the streets in uniform. If they are starting to reduce their numbers by not recruiting, then they don't need as many trainers and may have also have stopped recruiting specials. I tried to bring up their page for the Specials application form and the page wouldn't load. I suggest you phone the recruiting branch through the Force HQ main phone number, they will tell you what the current situation is.
  • Options
    There is a placement, that I'm sure. Their main website lists at least 20 forces accepting. I have downloaded the application forms. The police will always have funding. Only paid jobs aren't going in most places right now, and won't for a long time [which I'm not interested in anyway]. My friend is one of them who can't get in after graduating.
  • Options
    Or you could became a street pastor see this : http://www.streetpastors.co.uk/

Street Pastors patrol town and city centres late at night offering help to people who need it. You only need to volunteer for as little as one night a month. They are nothing to do with the police which is why people are more likely to come forward to them if they are in need of help. Though their work is endorsed and supported by the police.
  • Options
    Goldsword wrote: »
    Or you could became a street pastor see this : http://www.streetpastors.co.uk/

Street Pastors patrol town and city centres late at night offering help to people who need it. You only need to volunteer for as little as one night a month. They are nothing to do with the police which is why people are more likely to come forward to them if they are in need of help. Though their work is endorsed and supported by the police.
    No thanks.
  • Options
    java, by forcewide, it means they have vacancies all across the merseyside (if you were successful with your application, you'd be able to say where you'd prefer to go).

i'm not a police officer or a special but i'm a police community support officer so i'm a front line member of staff. i've not got any experience working with specials (because we don't have any at our station at the moment but we are due to get some!) but i do have experience working with police officers, etc.

i am actually out and about most of the time (unlike police officers who get tied to their desks doing paperwork!!!!!!) so i have lots of personal stories but i'm not sure what you are wanting to know? any stories i've got might scare you off :p i work on one of the busiest divisions in the country (so i'm told - apparently a working a month on my division is the equivalent of working a year elsewhere!) so everyday at work is always a challenge :lol:

as for what idontbelieveit say, what a load of poo. my force is recruiting LOADS of specials at the moment BECAUSE OF the lack of funding. many forces are doing the same thing because they can't afford to recruit police officers. sure, police budgets have been cut but theres enough to cover your training and uniform. its a drop in the ocean compared to what it costs to recruit a PC.

i'd go for it :thumb:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    My experience of hobby bobbies is that they tend to be complete cunts.

They tend to be people in it for the ego trip.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    java, by forcewide, it means they have vacancies all across the merseyside (if you were successful with your application, you'd be able to say where you'd prefer to go).

i'm not a police officer or a special but i'm a police community support officer so i'm a front line member of staff. i've not got any experience working with specials (because we don't have any at our station at the moment but we are due to get some!) but i do have experience working with police officers, etc.

i am actually out and about most of the time (unlike police officers who get tied to their desks doing paperwork!!!!!!) so i have lots of personal stories but i'm not sure what you are wanting to know? any stories i've got might scare you off :p i work on one of the busiest divisions in the country (so i'm told - apparently a working a month on my division is the equivalent of working a year elsewhere!) so everyday at work is always a challenge :lol:

as for what idontbelieveit say, what a load of poo. my force is recruiting LOADS of specials at the moment BECAUSE OF the lack of funding. many forces are doing the same thing because they can't afford to recruit police officers. sure, police budgets have been cut but theres enough to cover your training and uniform. its a drop in the ocean compared to what it costs to recruit a PC.

i'd go for it :thumb:
    What's the difference between a special and a PCSO? Is it the power of arrest, CS spray etc? I think I will apply. What area are you under?

And Skive, heh, I won't be a cunt.
  • Options
    ha, what is the difference between a special and a PCSO? you really should know this if is you are thinking of joining :p well, firstly, specials are unpaid volunteers and are only required to work 4 hours a week (i think!). being a PCSO is a full time job which we are paid for.

PCSOs do not have the power of arrest and for that reason, we do not carry handcuffs (well, most don't! i think BTP PCSOs and North Wales Police PCSOs carry them - they don't have the power to arrest though, its just to help them detain someone until a PC arrives). i mean, of course, we can make citizen arrests but everyone can do that! our powers to detain vary force to force as do all our powers. its down to a force's chief constable what we can actually do!

PCSOs do not carry CS spray or a baton. our job is apparently a non-confrontational role so we don't need any of that :lol: i am laughing because IT IS confrontational and i have been in a few tricky situations where i've had to ask for police back up. i get body armour (to protect me from getting shot or stabbed!!!!!) but thats about it! a PCSO's weapon is their mouth as they tell us :yeees:

so yes, those are the main differences when it comes to power of arrest and equipment.
  • Options
    I had a feeling it was paid vs un-paid and powers vs none. Thanks :)
  • Options
    By the way if you become a special constable for British transport police you get free train travel all over Britain which is quite a good perk. I saw that in an advert for BTP special constables.
  • Options
    I told the Job Centre I've applied and have my exams in October. She told me there and then if I do get through and take the position, I'd have to sign off - and live on nothing. Reason? It isn't a charity so I can't volunteer my time there. That 4 hours a week is time that the government wants me to spend in paid work.

Fuck that. How ridiculous is this country going to get?
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I told the Job Centre I've applied and have my exams in October. She told me there and then if I do get through and take the position, I'd have to sign off - and live on nothing. Reason? It isn't a charity so I can't volunteer my time there. That 4 hours a week is time that the government wants me to spend in paid work.

Fuck that. How ridiculous is this country going to get?

Hi JavaKrypt, I am a Special Constable and have been for two years now, if you have any questions then I can try help you where I can.

And just to clarify, you're unpaid, however, you may get a refreshment allowance and can claim back fuel, and you have all the powers of a regular police officer.
  • Options
    All the powers of a police officer? With waht training and only 4 hours a week of experience? I found that fucking horrific!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    All the powers of a police officer? With waht training and only 4 hours a week of experience? I found that fucking horrific!

Until you become independent, you're always with a regular officer. You're not let out loose on the street to do as you please without any experience.
  • Options
    So, what's the point?
  • Options
    So, what's the point?

For some it's a foot into the door for becoming a regular officer, you get a true insight into what the job involves, as well as giving something back to the community and helping others. As well as that some provide a great help to the regular officers as well as providing an extra visible presence within the community.
  • Options
    It sounds dangerous.
  • Options
    It sounds dangerous.
    Isn't every coppers job?

It's a backup plan for myself. I don't want to become a cop, but I've had interest. So this is the perfect opportunity. It will also help me in the future if I ever decide of a career change. But as said, the training is 16 weeks if I've learnt right, and I'm always with other full-time officers until I progress.

But anyway, I'm aware its unpaid and I told the Job Centre this but they still said I can't do it and apply for job seekers, because that 4 hours is basically time I could spend elsewhere, in a paid job. Its not like I'm volunteering for something totally off the bat, meaningless and not time-worthy. Plus its still part of the bloody government, does it really matter all that much that it isn't a charity?
  • Options
    Isn't every coppers job?

I think Katralla was still referring to the fact that you aren't trained as well as regular officers rather that what the job itself involves.

Have a look how much you can claim back, it could be that if you do a lot of shifts you could claim back more than you get through JSA anyway, and it's more worthwhile. Do you drive?
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi JavaKrypt,

It’s great to hear that you are interested in volunteering as a Special Constable.

As blah blah blah pointed out Special Constables are different from Police Community Support Officers as Special Constables are volunteers (unpaid). Special Constables have the same powers as regular officers and wear a similar uniform. Squeal and blah blah blah can probably give you better information about the day-to-day work of a PCSO or a Special Constable than me :)

You mentioned that you have already visited the Job Centre for advice. However sometimes Benefits Advisors have been found to be misinformed about volunteering. From what you have said it sounds like you are still entitled to Job Seekers Allowance whilst volunteering so its worth doing some research yourself. Volunteering is generally defined as giving your time and energy to benefit other people without being paid for it. As a volunteer you can volunteer with a charity or other voluntary organisation, a public sector organisation or in your local community. People who are receiving job seekers allowance are allowed to volunteer for as many hours as they want as long as they are still meeting the conditions to get their JSA.

It might be worth checking out this really helpful guide from the Department for Work and Pensions and perhaps print the relevant pages and speak to your Job Centre Advisor again.

Being a Special can be an extremely rewarding role with lots of benefits :) so good luck with your application.

Laura
  • Options
    Thanks, but claim back what? As I'm aware you're paid zero, so its a unpaid volunteer work, only some districts will pay you £1000 for your effort at the end of a calander year, but I'm doubtful my area would give me that as a friend of mine is a SC and hasn't received anything.

Hopefully I'd get this job I have an interview for so it wouldn't be a problem joining [as far as benefits go anyway].

And I don't drive.
  • Options
    Thanks, but claim back what? As I'm aware you're paid zero, so its a unpaid volunteer work, only some districts will pay you £1000 for your effort at the end of a calander year, but I'm doubtful my area would give me that as a friend of mine is a SC and hasn't received anything.

Hopefully I'd get this job I have an interview for so it wouldn't be a problem joining [as far as benefits go anyway].

And I don't drive.

Some forces allow you to claim back the fuel used and also offer a refreshment allowance. It's not a lot but it all adds up which helps. It is unpaid though, like you say. It's very worthwhile, it's a real eye opener and you see things that you just don't see in every day jobs.
  • Options
    Ah, not sure I'd even need that to be fair, but I'd bear it in mind.

I read that PDF, but it doesn't really show why the JCP said I can't do it and claim. To them its strictly one or the other. Normally I would just accept it but this is ridiculous, I really want to give this a shot.
  • Options
    I think LauraO's point was that your advisor at the Job Centre is more than likely to be wrong - it's a common misunderstanding (even in Job Centre advisers!) that you can't get Jobseekers while volunteering - and it's very frustrating to the voluntary sector! If you look at page 4 of the pdf it says that volunteering includes working for a public-sector organisation. Your advisor is wrong in saying it only counts as volunteering if it for a charity.

In fact you can also work under 16 hours a week and still get Job Seekers. As long as you are still actively looking for and available for work (which you will be if you are only volunteering 4 hours a week) then you should still get Job Seekers.

As Laura said, taking the PDF along with you and, if your advisor insists, asking to speak to a manager, might help.
  • Options
    Ahhhh thanks. I guess I'll wait and see what happens, got to get accepted first, hehe.