Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

rollers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do rollers come with enough to do your whole head at once? They look like they would take hours and hours because you can only do a few at a time, especially since all the ones I see in stores come with several different sizes. I dont know, though, I've never curled my hair, maybe you need all the different sizes?... something like http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=prod2103865 I guess... I tried a curling iron today but I gave up after a few minutes cuz it was taking too long and it just looked terrible anyways :p

Comments

• Options
    I don't know, i too would like the answer to this because i'd like to curl my hair but i don't have my straightners or curling irons with me out here
  • Options
    You should find a set like this is enough to do a whole head of hair, but the sizes of roller you use would depend on the look you want and the length of your hair. I used to have longish hair (below shoulder length) and a set of rollers very much like the ones in the picture. I used all but the very tiniest. The way I did it was to use the largest rollers on the middle top and back sections to give general volume, then use the next side down for the sides for soft waves. The next size down were good for around the face for more defined waves (very Dynasty!). My hair was naturally very straight until I reached my 40's and remains very thick, so I never achieved a style that lasted more than an evening - even with the most cement-like hairspray!

Thought you might enjoy this video with tips on using heated rollers from Vidal Sassoon.
  • Options
    Hello,
    It matters what size rollers you get because it also how long your hair is so say you had short hair it would get curled alot quicker than long hair and you could always go to your nearesy buety salon and ask there as well but if you do curl your hair remember you are not aloud to wash it untill its been a few hours because my sister curled her hair and it took her ages then washed it and it went back to straight.
  • Options
    You should find a set like this is enough to do a whole head of hair, but the sizes of roller you use would depend on the look you want and the length of your hair. I used to have longish hair (below shoulder length) and a set of rollers very much like the ones in the picture. I used all but the very tiniest. The way I did it was to use the largest rollers on the middle top and back sections to give general volume, then use the next side down for the sides for soft waves. The next size down were good for around the face for more defined waves (very Dynasty!). My hair was naturally very straight until I reached my 40's and remains very thick, so I never achieved a style that lasted more than an evening - even with the most cement-like hairspray!

Thought you might enjoy this video with tips on using heated rollers from Vidal Sassoon.

Thanks for the info!
    Though her hair didn't look curly, not at all what I wanted. I was thinking more along the lines of http://www.onlygowns.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/curly_hair_cut.jpg like a big version of the curly q's. Perhaps rollers aren't the thing I'm looking for then?
  • Options
    looks like it was done with curling tongs.
  • Options
    Well fuck that :p Though maybe if my curling iron wasn't half as old as me it might have been a bit quicker and not pissed me off as much.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    Thanks for the info!
    Though her hair didn't look curly, not at all what I wanted. I was thinking more along the lines of http://www.onlygowns.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/curly_hair_cut.jpg like a big version of the curly q's. Perhaps rollers aren't the thing I'm looking for then?

Yeah, sorry I think Katralla is right. Defo not done with curlers. Curlers tend to be better for volume and waves - but I'm no expert. You could always talk to a hairdresser about having a perm. There are different types. They don't all end up making you look like a refugee from the eighties LOL.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    Well fuck that :p Though maybe if my curling iron wasn't half as old as me it might have been a bit quicker and not pissed me off as much.

what kind of curlers do you have? the type with the twirly metal thing around them are awful! i could never work them.

single barrel tongs are so much easier
  • Options
    Yeah, sorry I think Katralla is right. Defo not done with curlers. Curlers tend to be better for volume and waves - but I'm no expert. You could always talk to a hairdresser about having a perm. There are different types. They don't all end up making you look like a refugee from the eighties LOL.

I've been thinking about a perm for a while but I've been getting it relaxed for a while and apperantly I have to wait until all that hair grows out... which by the time it does I'm sure I wont want curly hair anyways :p

And I have just a regular curling iron shaped like http://mp.hairboutique.com/_images/products/49585cd82_iron_dt.jpg

I did get it cut today by somebody new and one of the first things she mentioned was how thin and fine my hair is :crying: I used to have a big full bushy head of hair :crying: so perhaps nothing chemical even after it grows out. I blame my mother, damn genetics.

But thanks for all your help :)
  • Options
    You relax your hair??!!??
  • Options
    Only for the last couple years maybe. It was wavy and I didn't want that then :p
  • Options
    I think I actually knew that, but still. I guess you don't have to leave it on long to straighten your hair so you're at less of a risk of chemical burns than those with curlier hair.