Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Long distancers?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in a new(ish) L.D. relationship and I find it very trying sometimes, I miss him and it bugs me that he works so much. Is anybody here in a long distance relationship? Or in the past? How do/did you make it work?

Comments

• Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    I'm in a new(ish) L.D. relationship and I find it very trying sometimes, I miss him and it bugs me that he works so much. Is anybody here in a long distance relationship? Or in the past? How do/did you make it work?

Hey Even :)

My advice for LDRs always remains the same, and I've been in one myself. The advice might alter slightly depending on the circumstances of the LDR, as in if you were together in the same place but one of you had to move away, or if you've never been together in the same place yet (for an extended period).

The basic advice is the same though. You need to have a goal and a realistic plan of achieving that goal, with timescales applied. When you are drifting along and never getting any closer then an LDR is very frustrating. If you are both moving towards a common and defined point in time that you will be together then you don't feel so adrift. You need to work out the how and the when of you and him being in the same place. And you need to be building towards that as you go along. Things to think about would naturally include who can best move to who, what will that person do for income, where will you both live, does that person need to job seek, how long can you both manage until they find work, etc etc. Plan, and plan and plan. Being goal driven really is massive.

Apart from your plan of action, make time for each other on the phone or online but don't go into overkill. Forced conversations are a real soul killer. And there simply isn't enough happening every single day of your life to allow long conversations each day. Some days just have short 10 minute convos to check in with each other and be together. Other days have longer convos. And some days maybe just have a break. That helps to keep the conversations fresh. Send each other photos, random ones, just to keep yourselves in each others minds. Maybe send little videos of each other, or voice clips.

Perhaps also find a common online interest like a game or something that you can play together. So you can spend time together doing an activity rather than just talking.

The core is the plan though, you have to be able to see the finish line and to feel like you're moving towards it. Otherwise you're just chasing the horizon and that is frustrating as hell.

Just my thoughts on the matter, I hope some of them help :)
  • Options
    Both my past relationship were long distance so Im pretty exprienced in this area.

First thing to say is that you both need to be willing to put the effort in a relationship. Its probably harder work than one where you live just round the corner cos you cant pop round his house to see him or check with frinds and family if you havent heard for a while. Keeping regular contact is also important, once a day, even if its just a little text.

I know how hard it is when you miss him so much, most of my relationship with my ex, i didnt even know when i would see him again. Making an effort to schedule meet ups (and make them fair, so that one of you isnt always doing the visiting) will give you something to look forward to.

And get a webcam so you can have long chats online and still see each other.

I know its hard but if he's worth it, you'll make it work, no matter what
  • Options
    For most of the first 3 years I was with my fiance we were long-distance, as he graduated and moved to London soon after we met.

It was frustrating sometimes, but it worked and wasn't as hellish as you might think. Whilst with a new relationship you won't necessarily having your eye on super147's goal of living together, it's great to be able to think ahead to your next visit (whether it's next week or next month) and whilst I don't think you have to speak to each other every day (we certainly didn't) you need to keep contact at a such a level that neither of you feels neglected.

Yep - phonecalls, texts, messenger conversations and webcams all help, but the most important thing in a LDR is trust. You need to be able to not worry about what the other person is doing.

Good luck. I'm not sure I'd have predicted at the start that 9 years on we'd be engaged, but here we are :D
  • Options
    My previous relationship was long distance, it worked well although we really missed each other when we were apart.
  • Options
    I live in London and my gf lives in Edinburgh. We normally see each other every other weekend, and take it in turns. It is a big hassle but we're used to it now.

One of the most difficult things is not being able to meet up on a whim, 'cos we book train tickets months in advance so it's not massively expensive. It just means we have to plan things a bit more carefully, and try to set aside plenty of time to talk properly. We also have webcams which is better than just talking on the phone.

There are difficult times, especially if we fight, as we can't just meet up and be okay straight away. It's always fine when we're together, but sometimes a bit more stressful when apart. It's definitely possible but it does require a lot of effort - I wouldn't do it with anyone I wasn't serious about.
  • Options
    The trouble with his work is that when he is away it's often last minute and it can be difficult to make plans. I usually get to see him once, or twice a week at most, even if it's just him driving down for the evening and leaving in the morning :)
    If he gets the job he is applying for today he will be on a six week training course a few hundred miles away, and I'm happy to go and see him, but I can't afford for it to be as often as he's been coming to me. And after that he will be abroad a lot more than he is now.
    Trouble is, I think I'm falling in love with him, but I also think his job will always come first. I don't know how to cope :no:
  • Options
    :(
  • Options
    :(

Oh, what's happened? *hug*
  • Options
    yeah will don't try long distance relationships cause I know that it won't really work.
  • Options
    yeah will don't try long distance relationships cause I know that it won't really work.

helpful. thanks. especially considering i think it just ended. and i'm in love with him.
  • Options
    Ignore the spammer. What's happened? Why do you think it's just ended? *hug*
  • Options
    I'll never get more from him than I have now, in fact I'll get less with this new job. I love it when he's with me, I love who I am when he's with me, but most of the time I just miss him - it makes me feel weak. And it hurts so much knowing that I'll always be second best to his job.

Ultimately I'm settling for seeing him 12 hours once a week and a ten minute phone call every day (if I'm lucky). I think I deserve more, but I want him. I'm torn in two.

I tried to end it, but he wants to come to see me tomorrow to talk things out. If I see him I know I'll cave.
  • Options
    ...My mum and her (also LD) boyfriend are like this. Forever breaking up and arguing. And when he goes home, she becomes really depressed and drinks loads and says she hates life...

But, then again, they can sometimes work. It just depends on the people I think, and if you really want it to work I think it can :) Maybe, write down the pros and cons of the relationship? and decide that way? He obviously wants to be with you if he wants to talk it out :)
    Good luck evenstar :)
    Xx
  • Options
    I was in one for 2 1/2 years. I was lucky to have a free train pass so could go down when he booked time off work and it didnt cost me anything and his job meant he drove all over the country. And my old house was 10mins off the M1 so he could drop by loads. It wasnt the distance that broke us up either. But i guess I was just lucky. We did go periods without seeing each other for a while, and it was hard. But you just accept it as the norm and get through it. We'd talk on the phone for an hour every day too. You just have to put the effort in, but I believe the effort should come naturally.
  • Options
    They can easily work, but they are difficult, I like to think I am living proof it can work, met my wife and I was in a LDR, now I am married with a child and one on the way....
  • Options
    I've done it but wouldn't again. I've seen it work for other people though.
  • Options
    It can work if you want it to. It's hard, and you will need to accept that there will be periods where it's not all sunshine and roses, but if you want it to work badly enough then it will.
  • Options
    I think it all depends on if he gets this job. It's just too early on to be seeing each other once a fortnight. He'll find out today or tomorrow, I'm on tenderhooks and being a total bitch to everyone around me
  • Options
    Once a fortnight is loads! Seriously! That's what I did when I went to Newcastle and I couldn't ever afford to go down to London so he came to see me every other week. It was hard because I didn't make friends very quickly, but as soon as I did it got so much easier. Plus it made the time we did spend together that much more special.
  • Options
    apparently now he hears thursday. oh my head's all over the place.
  • Options
    i've come a bit late to this thread, but i'll be thinking of you ES and let us know what happens, and of course *big squishy hugs*
  • Options
    Yesterday he picked me up at 330, which is the earliest he's ever been down, and we drove to the place he'd booked for us in the country, this beautiful old manor. We sat in the sun and got pissed, smoked to much, went into the city for a curry and generally had a lovely time. I remember that evening sitting out in the grounds and looking at the hotel which was lit up beautifully, and thinking it how long it's been since I'd been so happy. I thought I really do love him.

The next day at breakfast and got down to the inevitable topic of what to do if he had got the job. We decided that there wouldn't be the space for a relationship if he got it, that I'd be unhappy being apart from him for so long, and he'd feel guilty that he couldn't be there. But if he didn't get it, he would have more time for me than he does now, and could think about moving his career in a way that might facilitate a relationship that wasn't long distance, and one day even a family. It seemed so tangible. I cried when he dropped me at my friend's house later. Did you guess? Six hours later he got the job.
  • Options
    :yippe:
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    :yippe:

no, that's bad
  • Options
    no, that's bad

Oh im sorry :blush: I guess i misread the post

So what does that mean then?
  • Options
    It means he got the job that we decided if he got it, we'd have to break up
  • Options
    Ooooh no i'm so sorry :( this must be horrible for both of you because there are still feelings there, it's kinda like a forced break up :( *HUGS*
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    Ooooh no i'm so sorry :( this must be horrible for both of you because there are still feelings there, it's kinda like a forced break up :( *HUGS*

pretty much. its gunna be a fun birthday this year :yippe: :crying:
This discussion has been closed.