Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Snooty anti-smokers

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MoK wrote: »
    Apart from when you take your eyes off the road to light it, oh and you'll be driving one handed at the time too. Then there's the fact that you will take one hand off the wheel several times to take a drag. Not to mention that you have to dispose of the butt somehow.... until extinguished it's a small fire...

Yep, perfectly safe, I can't see any grounds for banning it ;)

Only as many grounds as there are for banning car radios. Well, unless you have controls on the wheel. But come off it, as if most people drive with both hands on the wheel all the time, or even most of the time.
    There is already a law against driving without due care and attention which forms part of the Road Traffic Act (or whatever it's called nowadays).
    Yes, but apparently we need a law against each specific form of driving without due care and attention nowadays.
    MoK wrote: »
    Apart from when you take your eyes off the road to light it, oh and you'll be driving one handed at the time too. Then there's the fact that you will take one hand off the wheel several times to take a drag. Not to mention that you have to dispose of the butt somehow.... until extinguished it's a small fire...

Yep, perfectly safe, I can't see any grounds for banning it ;)

If you can't drive a car with two squabling kids in the back a large wet dog next to you fumbling for cd's off the floor to put in the player ...you shouldn't be driving.
    If you can only drive safely with two hands firmly on the wheel at all times and your eyes glued to the windscreen ...time you got on your bike.
    I'd put money on it that being stupid caused far more crashes than smoking has ...being a crap driver etc.

Did you know that nicotine aids concentration?
    Most truck drivers now have a press down twirly top ash tray under the seat or somewhere else in the cab to avoid pulling over onto the hard shoulder for a fag every half hour.

Has the propaganda started yet ...90% of all traffic accidents caused by smoking ...or lighting up ...or disposing of dog end?

Rubbish.
    If you aint capable of doing other things whilst driving ...do us all a favour and stop driving.
    I'm not saying that there aren't other things which impact on your driving. I'm saying that there are grounds for changing advice to the Police on whether "Due care & attention" could cover smoking.

I'm also saying that I wouldn't be angered if the guidance was changed.

Smoking is a evil, filthy habit. There aren't many products designed to get you addicted, which offer no health benefits what so ever and which are extremely likely to ultimately kill you.

It's impossible to make tha act illegal, but that doesn't mean that we cannot mke it as hard as possible.
    Yes, but apparently we need a law against each specific form of driving without due care and attention nowadays.

There's the rub. The point is, we don't need a specific law. The law (by that I mean all laws) cannot legislate against every single eventuality. Thus if you're driving along and your smoking is causing you to drive without due care and attention, then you are in breach of that law. It's all about how a court (or magistrate in this case) would interpret it.

We don't need a specific law against it as the one we have does just fine. It's all about interpretation.
    i have lived in west africa and the people there are usually disgusted at foreigners smoking in public.

It seems completely unnecessary in their eyes, a waste of money and health. Even kids and teenagers would pull faces at the thought of smoking.