Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Email Account hacked?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had the same hotmail account for about 9 years now, just logged in to it and all the emails (hundreds) from my inbox have gone. My sent emails are in the sent box but there are some emails in my deleted items folder which I haven't deleted, they had been in my inbox when I last logged in! Has someone hacked into my account? Is there any way I can retrieve the emails I've lost? What should I do?

Edited to Add: Just been into my sent box and there are random emails sent to loads of people from my account. Yikes!

This started on the 15th June, I randomly started receiving emails saying delivering status notification failures and wondered what it was!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First thing to do is change your password. What kind of things were they sending?
    :banghead: :banghead:

I have closed the account and deleted all of my personal information from it. It still enables me to log in though as it doesn't close it instantly, infact it stays active for 270 days and after that time it will be completely inactive. I have changed the password and literally reset everything but have kept the emails they have sent. I haven't actually opened them as I don't want to get a virus which I'm assuming they are, I open each one and they have been sent to loads of different people and there are links like 'click here if you want to see something amazing' or 'click here if you want to start in business'.

I'm concerned as I had loads of personal stuff in my account, like all my log in details for play.com and amazon.com etc and my mobile phone bills and home broadband bills etc, so I'm gonna have to close those accounts now as well and I'm going to change my password on stuff just incase they have these as well. :banghead:
    I'd recommend changing all your important passwords, even ones that weren't in your emails. If your hotmail account was hacked, it's possible others might be. Also run a virus scan, as the password may have been obtained through a trojan on your computer.