Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Donating items to charity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have about three cases full of clothes ,shoes , coats etc that i no longer want and i would like to donate , i have seen a lot lately about street children around the world and would like to help them just a little.
Any ideas about which charity would be the best to get these things to them?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oxfam? I don't think any will go directly to the children, but they are a good charity. There's save the children, but I think they only take money donations... you could always sell on the clothes, on ebay etc, and give the money to a charity?
    Xx
    Oh thats a shame i kind of thought the clothes could be sent to the children.
    I have heard Oxfam take a bit for admin etc
    But i guess if they know best how to help the poor little things
    Hhmm I'm not sure... I'm sure there is a charity that will give to the children... because we do that shoe box thing at school, where it goes directly to the children.
    Xx
    It must cost quite a bit of money for a charity to send bundles of clothes from the UK to where ever in the world... for this reason, maybe its more cost effective to sell clothes in charity shops in the UK and buy cheaper clothes with the proceeds? :chin:
    It must cost quite a bit of money for a charity to send bundles of clothes from the UK to where ever in the world... for this reason, maybe its more cost effective to sell clothes in charity shops in the UK and buy cheaper clothes with the proceeds? :chin:

Yes fair point i had'nt thought of that , i guess a trip to the charity shop then, i would still be interested in who works with these children though.
    Don't underestimate how much your old stuff is worth to charity shops. My dad does the accounts for a local charity with a load of shops, and they make a huge difference.

If you want to do that, I'd just pick a charity you want to support (that has shops!) and take them your stuff. Even old crap. The shops my dad works with sell all the shitty old clothes to the rag man and make additional cash that way :thumb:
    I love look around charity shops, infact all of the stuff in our house over here is from the salvation army, and they saved us a ton of money with cheap mattress' and stuff, so it is really worthwhile :)