Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

jsa

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi
ive just finished uni and im looking for a job. i was wondering if i can claim jsa. thing is ive been saving for several years and have inherited a substabtial amount of money which combined i plan on using to buy a house once i get a job.
is it likley ill get turned down?

cheers

Comments

• Options
    It depends on how much savings you have? (over £16k = nothing) Or did you work full time in the past 2 tax years and pay national insurance?
  • Options
    museboy wrote: »
    hi
    ive just finished uni and im looking for a job. i was wondering if i can claim jsa. thing is ive been saving for several years and have inherited a substabtial amount of money which combined i plan on using to buy a house once i get a job.
    is it likley ill get turned down?

cheers
    whats jsa
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow magic, how do you do that.

And can't you just tell me in little bwords, I can never understand dictionaries, because of big words.
  • Options
    Wow magic, how do you do that.

And can't you just tell me in little bwords, I can never understand dictionaries, because of big words.

Job seekers' allowance. Money that is given to people while they search for jobs.
  • Options
    whats more little than JSA?
  • Options
    As well as your savings, if you have had a student loan they will take that into consideration too. IIRC they consider the last payment of student loan to be income above what they will pay out for JSA until the beginning of September. You could try phoning the jobby to find out. Or, you could ask your student finance department for some financial advice.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    As well as your savings, if you have had a student loan they will take that into consideration too. IIRC they consider the last payment of student loan to be income above what they will pay out for JSA until the beginning of September. You could try phoning the jobby to find out. Or, you could ask your student finance department for some financial advice.

Even for those of us (like myself) who did first year and dropped after finishing?
  • Options
    Did you get a student loan, or were you eligible to apply for one (whether you took it or not) for the final term? If so, then I don't think you can claim JSA until September - this is just off memory though so it's a good idea to check.
  • Options
    When I graduated in July 2002, I was able to go straight onto JSA.
  • Options
    Hey there Museboy,

Full time students cannot claim JSA even for the summer holidays.

However, you say that you have finished university therefore, as long as your final term has ended (which I am sure it has by now), you will be able to claim JSA.

You might like to visit the Direct Gov website on JSA for more information on this and also how to apply. The application should have questions about your capital, income etc and they will make their decision based on the information that you tell them. Make the application anyway; they can only say no.

Hope this helps.

:)