Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Intellectual Jousting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, I shall attempt to construct this as best I can. The topic is 'intellectual jousting', if I can call it that. My question is, how are intellect and ego interrelated, in that there often seems to be this battle of one-upmanship which almost betrays the intelligence of those involved? I'm sure we've all noticed threads like this, or maybe it's just me?

Is it competitive nature? Is it the need to find the achilles heel in someone who seems too powerful or too pompous? Like "Yes, you can write long words but haha, you fudged the spelling of one of them and I shall take you down"? Is this how it works?

I'm not saying that I'm any less guilty here, I'm sure I've done some of these things myself in the past, but generally I don't feel the need to testify to, or to prove, my intelligence. I know when someone is on a different level to me in one or another aspect of life and learning. I don't fear that. I don't feel intimidated by that. I know my strengths, and I know where I shine. Does anyone else see the occasions where intellectual debates just become about ego and pettiness?

Thoughts please people. Please feel free to point out my spelling mistakes if you like! :D

Incase I haven't made any, I apogolise! :cool:

Comments

• Options
    super147 wrote: »
    Please feel free to point out my spelling mistakes if you like! :D

In the context you're using it, you should be on a different plane. And in case is two words :p

ETA: omg, you took out the plain? Ok, I'll answer properly

It is a universal truth that when someone is pedantic about someone else's spelling on the internet, they will make some kind of spelling or grammatical error in their reply. If you're having a good debate, then pointing it out is generally just banter. No harm in it, in my opinion. If you give it out, you should be able to take it!

Outside of that kind of situation, some people are just twats who like to make other people feel small.
  • Options
    Interesting thought-piece, dude. Though you know this should totally be in P&D! :D
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    In the context you're using it, you should be on a different plane. And in case is two words :p

I officially hate you! :D lol

I asked for it, I know! :p ha!
  • Options
    I officially hate you! :D lol

I asked for it, I know! :p ha!

Sorry, I can't help it! It's all I can do to not correct people when they don't ask for it! The mere sight of a poorly placed comma makes me itch! :blush:
  • Options
    Does anyone else see the occasions where intellectual debates just become about ego and pettiness?
    :yes:
  • Options
    Does anyone else see the occasions where intellectual debates just become about ego and pettiness?

If they haven't, a quick peek over at P&D should suffice.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Interesting thought-piece, dude. Though you know this should totally be in P&D! :D

Agreed...

Hope you don't mind move moving it. :)
  • Options
    I some how get through life quite well without any intellect whatsoever!
  • Options
    Okay, I shall attempt to construct this as best I can. The topic is 'intellectual jousting', if I can call it that. My question is, how are intellect and ego interrelated, in that there often seems to be this battle of one-upmanship which almost betrays the intelligence of those involved? I'm sure we've all noticed threads like this, or maybe it's just me?

Is it competitive nature? Is it the need to find the achilles heel in someone who seems too powerful or too pompous? Like "Yes, you can write long words but haha, you fudged the spelling of one of them and I shall take you down"? Is this how it works?

I'm not saying that I'm any less guilty here, I'm sure I've done some of these things myself in the past, but generally I don't feel the need to testify to, or to prove, my intelligence. I know when someone is on a different level to me in one or another aspect of life and learning. I don't fear that. I don't feel intimidated by that. I know my strengths, and I know where I shine. Does anyone else see the occasions where intellectual debates just become about ego and pettiness?

Thoughts please people. Please feel free to point out my spelling mistakes if you like! :D

Incase I haven't made any, I apogolise! :cool:

I think when someone has to take a jibe at someone else for a minor grammer/spelling error, provided that the argument/discussion is with someone who isnt using text talk, then its almost like the grammer nazi has the intent of diverting the argument away on a tangent as they dont have anything further to add.
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    I think when someone has to take a jibe at someone else for a minor grammer/spelling error, provided that the argument/discussion is with someone who isnt using text talk, then its almost like the grammer nazi has the intent of diverting the argument away on a tangent as they dont have anything further to add.
    :yes:

Same as if somebody results to throwing insults and/or making accusations, usually means that they feel threatened they're gonna be 1-upped.
  • Options
    I is cleverist.