Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Claiming Tax Credits: Will my Landlady be Affected?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

My apologies if this has been covered before; I'm at work and don't have enough time to scan the threads, but urgently need some advice...

I'm currently working full-time on a very low income and am eligible to claim Working Tax Credits. I'm renting a room through a private landlord, who does not allow tenants to claim benefits.

Are tax credits considered a 'benefit', and would my landlady be affected in any way if I were to claim them? Is it possible to make a claim without even having to involve or inform her at all?

Any help you could offer on the matter would be greatly appreciated. I'm struggling to support myself and considering looking for somewhere new to live, where the landlord is more flexible.

Cheers guys!

Kate. x

Comments

• Options
    She wouldnt even know. Its nothing to do with her.
    The only thing shes likely to be concerned about is housing benefit
  • Options
    The tax credits, similarly to DLA, goes straight into your current account. Only you get to witness it, unless somebody nicked one of your paper statements. Like Suzy said, the landlady is probably more worried about JSA and housing benefit. When I'ved shopped around in the past for somewhere to rent, it was common for the landlord/lady to specify "no unemployed" in their advert.
  • Options
    Hiya,

It's great that you are able to claim tax credits to help you towards your living costs as you are finding it hard to support yourself at the moment.

However, claiming tax credits should not affect your tenancy with your landlady; it is personal to you. Just like SuzyCreamcheese and Monserrat have said too;
    She wouldnt even know. Its nothing to do with her.

and
    Only you get to witness it, unless somebody nicked one of your paper statements.

Therefore I would not worry about telling your landlady at all.

You might like to visit the HM Revenue and Customs website for more details on Tax Credits in general.

Hope this answers your question. :)