Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Our prisons are full - what to do?!

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well yes, if the previous methods don't work then try jail. But I'd rather see tagging and ALL their waking time, and I mean all of it filled with being at work and doing community service tried first.
    1) Close all the current prisons apart from one or two for the really dangerous or hard to control prisoners, these should be one to a cell with no luxuries at all.

2) If you are foreign and commit a crime that is not bad enough to get you into one the prisons above then i would suggest that being deported is a harsh enough sentence.

3) Build secure compounds in desolate areas and fill them with wooden barracks where the non dangerous prisoners could be held whist being feed basic rations and having to work to pay for anything like tobacco , no television no games just work , eat and rest.

Prisons are not a deterrent unless they scare the shite out of people , they have to be somewhere that you actually suffer during your time there or else what is the point.
    Well yes, if the previous methods don't work then try jail. But I'd rather see tagging and ALL their waking time, and I mean all of it filled with being at work and doing community service tried first.

People who don't want to work at community service simply don't bother so its a waste of time , they turn up go through the motions but actually spend aa lot of time just pissing around
    Maybe commiting crime could be punished by a reduction in benefit or a special criminal rate of income tax.
    I think the whole human rights thing gets the piss out of it, especially when some prisoners get treated better than hard working citizens.
    I know that Polly Toynbee writes for the Radio Times but I didn't know she was that famous.

SG - I like your failtrain picture. I've seen the failboat version of the picture many times but never seen the train one before. The failboat looks like this :-)

9tl6dh.jpg
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I know that Polly Toynbee writes for the Radio Times but I didn't know she was that famous.

SG - I like your failtrain picture. I've seen the failboat version of the picture many times but never seen the train one before. The failboat looks like this :-)

9tl6dh.jpg

2043-fail-camera.jpg

Yeah SG did post that on the first opening post of the thread. Pretty sure he knows what it looks like :yum:
    Doesn't seem to be much mileage in this thread, but there's plenty of failage going on.
    i personally think that the people who commit murders and such like should be sent to the army and into Irac instead of the innocent people who are there and losing their lives! This would free up plenty of space in the prisons.

I know a boy who got into a fight on the night of his leaving do for him entering the army which he worked really hard for (was one of 3 picked from 1200), he got convicted of assault, served time and now has a 5 year ban from the army. Did he learn anything by it - No he was put in a cell with someone he committed the crime with, he had 3 square meals a day and a roof over his head and found the time easy! He comes out of prison, gets into another stupid fight by hanging around with the same boys that he hung around with before he went inside and he is now looking at going back down, whereas if he was in the army he would have been away from all this!
    I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't like the idea of using convicted murderers as troops. Our army is probably the best in the world, because every soldier within it is highly trained and wants to be there.

The only possible use for a murderer or rapist in Iraq would be in mine clearance....
    katralla wrote: »
    The race and gender of white men is very rarely mention, whereas other groups are, which sets up the white male as the norm - if you can't see that you are thick as shit.

Unless it's diarrhoea. :sour:
    It's pretty toxic though, if you're not a white male, or straight - the current heteronormativity really gets my goat too. Example "blah-de blah's partner was senn doing some uninteresting thing" as a headline, compared with "blah-de blah's gay partner was seen doing some uniteresting thing". *makes me go to the woods and hit things with sticks*

Have you heard about what can be termed 'toxic interactions'? Well, it's one reason that's been suggested for BME over representation in mental health services. The piece I was listening to didn't specifically mention sexuality but I can imagine a similar link there too.

Why am I so angry? Because of all this toxic shit.

The end.
    i personally think that the people who commit murders and such like should be sent to the army and into Irac instead of the innocent people who are there and losing their lives! This would free up plenty of space in the prisons.

!
    You mean as targets for the troops ...save a few innocent Iraqi lives innit.