Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

another application form question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The personal statement bit where it asks you say why you're suited to the job and says you can continue on separate sheets if necessary. How long can the statement be? Mine is VERY long atm, as in two extra sheets long. Thing is, the guidance notes say they want you to show you meet all of the 'essential' criteria and preferably show how you meet all of the 'desirable' criteria too, as if there are a lot of applicants, it will come down to that.

But there are about 20 essential/desirable things at least - that's why my statment is so long. Should I leave it long or try and cut it?

Comments

• Options
    Speaking from my experience with an NHS trust, the Personal Statement is just about the most important section of the application form. Unless you are going for a really junior job, there is never enough space on the application form. My advice is to make it really easy for the shortlisting panel by taking the Essential and Desirable Criteria one by one and, depending on how well you match, write a short paragraph or a sentence or two to show how you meet them. It goes without saying that you will not get an interview if you do not meet all the Essential Criteria. The qualifications section will probably be covered by what you have written elsewhere on the form. What they are really interested in here is your experience and your achievements. However, don't feel you have to write an essay. A well laid out, bullet pointed, statement will win you Brownie points, especially if there are a lot of applicants.

Equally, there will always be some Essential Criteria that are built into the standard Job Spec template as being relevant to all jobs in the organisation, e.g. those referring to Health & Safety, Equal Opportunities and Physical Ability. You can probably cover those with one short paragraph.
  • Options
    thanks - i'm ok on the actual writing bit though (i hope!) i've gone through the essential and the desirable criteria and written something for each, the problem is it's really long!

how many extra pages do you think it's ok to attach? one, a couple? i'm trying to cut it down but it's hard when there are so many points they expect you to cover.

also can't bullet point because the application form is locked - only lets you write in the font and size they have set.
  • Options
    roman numerals?
  • Options
    Also! Is it best to just write the statement and include everything, or should i split it into headings/sections.
    E.g. If it says they want to see say, evidence of team work, design skills and written skills would it best to write: TEAM WORK: I worked in a team when I did xxx. DESIGN SKILLS: I have designed xxx WRITTEN SKILLS: I did xxx
    Or just do a statement with no headings that includes everything?
    Wondering if headings will make it clearer so they can see straight away I match what they are asking for. Or if they would like one statement that flows?
  • Options
    Anything that makes the statement easier for the shortlisting panel to read is GOOD! You might think of presenting your statement to mirror your past employment/other experience that you will almost certainly have listed elsewhere on the form - then highlight the aspects of each job that show team working, report writing, design skills, etc.

However, it does sound as if you may be writing too much. This is, after all, just an application form. By all means, write a little more about achievements that you are particularly proud of, but remember the panel just want to see that you have relevant experience. You don't want to risk 'reader fatigue' by including multiple examples for each criterion. And, depending on the job you are applying for, sometimes things like 'writing skills' can be inferred from the quality of the statement itself. So it is important to be succinct where you can be.

You want your application to generate interest, while leaving the panel something to ask at interview.
  • Options
    as a suggestion is there anyone who could proof read it for you and help you to edit it?

sounds like its coming on well, though if you are unhappy about it being really long then maybe it does need shortening as i bet interview panels dont appreicate reading near on books of people achievements (lol)

hope that helps:)
  • Options
    My advice is to make it really easy for the shortlisting panel by taking the Essential and Desirable Criteria one by one and, depending on how well you match, write a short paragraph or a sentence or two to show how you meet them. It goes without saying that you will not get an interview if you do not meet all the Essential Criteria. . However, don't feel you have to write an essay. A well laid out, bullet pointed, statement will win you Brownie points, especially if there are a lot of applicants.

In situations like these I tend to get all worried and stressed out and I feel the need to write a long essay that goes on for pages and pages. Is there a way to write down everything I want to say, in a presentable fashion without having to write an essay? Will a brief statement be enough?
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi ecenur and welcome to the boards :wave:

As you can see there is a lot of advice about this above, so I hope some of these answers to Kat_B's original question will help. You don't say what you are writing the statement for, is it for a job or UCAS application?

The main thing to remember is that unless specified there is usually no word limit to a personal statement. However, you need to remember that someone will have to read it (along with many others) and you need to stand out, if it is too long they may lose interest :(

It's important to include all the relevant experience and attributes you have, and if it is for a job application you need to refer back to the job specification. Make sure you don't ramble too much but at the same time don't make it too brief so any of the important information you need to tell them gets lost.

To stop it becoming an essay (or too brief) it might be good to start thinking about it in three sections:

Who you are / your experience
    What you can bring to the role
    What are your ambitions / career goals

For more information have a look at these articles: Completing an application form and Covering Letters (the same principles apply here).

I hope this helps,
    LauraO