Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

notanothertattoothread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been wanting a tattoo for ages now, and i have been thinking about it for a good 2ish years. Given that i changed my mind a lot :p

I have always loved the poem by John Keats - When I have Fears that I may Cease to Be. And it does mean a lot to me.

Originally i wanted:

“then on the shore
Of the wide world I stand alone, and think
Till love and fame to nothingness do sink.”

On my shoulder blade.

But i was thinking that i might just get:

“Till Love and Fame to nothingness do sink”

On the inside of my arm or maybe the whole 3 lines on the inside of my arm but that might be too big.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    I think the single line on the shoulder blade would be better, because wait for it.....'think what it would look like when you're old and wrinkly.' I know it's old and everyone says it, but there's a bit of truth in it.

I love that poem by the way :)
  • Options
    haha good point!

One line on the shoulder blade sounds good actually :D
  • Options
    I don't know what font haha

this one?
  • Options

this one?

I think that looks a little tacky maybe. I like this but I don't know if it doesn't look a little scrawly.
  • Options
    I saw that one and really liked it but yeah i wasn't sure if it was too scrawly.

i like this one
  • Options

:yes:

Best so far!

With regards placement, I wouldn't worry too much about how it'll look when you're old, because (a) you'll be old, and (b) most old people will have tattoos in 30 or so years. What I would consider is if it's easily hidden, if you're wearing something and you don't want to show it off (say if you're wearing a formal dress, or on your wedding day or whatever), and in that respect I reckon the shoulder blade is a much better idea.
  • Options

this one?

Comic Sans. It's gotta be.
  • Options
    Comic Sans. It's gotta be.

Oh my goodness, I was just about to make this exact joke.

This is proof that we are soulmates.
  • Options
    for your shoulderblade, you've also gotta think if your bra strap will cover it, cuz it might be a bit tricky during healing? (not sure...never had one but just thinking 'out loud') I like lower back placement - i know people think it looks 'cheap' but pah. Also i like stuff on the hip, just coming over the underwear line.
  • Options
    I like the one liner, though the longer one, so long as its in the way you've put it up there i think would look good there as well on the shoulder blade
  • Options
    exposedexposed Posts: 31 Boards Initiate
    If you get to the age of 70, and whether your tattoo looks bad is the biggest worry in your life. Then you've had a very good life.
  • Options
    I think it's a horrible line and will look terrible - don't do it.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I think it's a horrible line and will look terrible - don't do it.

:eek2: Woahhhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    My own theory on tattoos is that you should be proud of it, i.e. don't go and spend a fortune on something that you and others will rarely see.

I don't go for the purely textual idea on a woman. If the line means something to you, fine, but I would be inclined to embellish it with something decorative. Perhaps something that evokes the mood of the poem, e.g. a little square-rigged ship sailing over the horizon, or something timeless like a trail of ivy.
  • Options
    :eek2: Woahhhhhhhhhhh

Well, tattoos divide people: some people don't like them at all, others like some but not others. It's the risk you take when you get one, knowing that some people won't like it at all because it's a tattoo and that others just won't like the choice of tattoo. If she really wants it and has thought about it then, my opinion won't stop her but, I was just putting it out there, you know?
  • Options
    My own theory on tattoos is that you should be proud of it, i.e. don't go and spend a fortune on something that you and others will rarely see.

I don't go for the purely textual idea on a woman. If the line means something to you, fine, but I would be inclined to embellish it with something decorative. Perhaps something that evokes the mood of the poem, e.g. a little square-rigged ship sailing over the horizon, or something timeless like a trail of ivy.

Ooooh I disagree completely! I love my tattoo largely because sometimes I forget it's there and sometimes I will look at my back in the mirror and go OH SHIT I HAVE A TATTOO!! I'm planning for my next one to be this. Nobody will ever see it (I will never wear a bikini again) except for me and the people I am intimate with, but that is part of the appeal to me.

If I could be bothered I would find a picture of my tattoo but I'm lazy :p.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

If I could be bothered I would find a picture of my tattoo but I'm lazy :p.

Find one! :p
  • Options
    My friend wanted some scrawly writing, smallish, and they said that they wouldn't do it because when you age it will start to seep out, and become blobish :p and the text that you have choosen is about 5x more scrawly than my friends.....But i'd never have a tattoo, i know alot of people who regret it, but then i know alot of people who swear by their tattoos, and if i did get one it would be a tinyyyyyy one! haha
  • Options
    quite agree, a picture or sybole or something makes the writing sometimes mean a lot more. plus you want something that has a lot of meaning to it, like has a story behind or something.
    I have a tattoo on my hip of shooting stars, and i also have a the words 'keep believing...' on my wrist with the bansky picture of the girl holding the balloon ( http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01176/arts-graphics-2007_1176391a.jpg ). and these have so much meaning to me, and i love them to pieces. there not to big, but can be seen when i wanted them to be and covered up when i needed them to be for example at work. one thing about tattooes is think before you get them...awfull pain to remove:P