Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Did you know the English are now a race?

Well, they are according to some cocktrumpet over at the Campaign for an English Parliament. It seems they've been whining about HMV's "anti-English prejudice"...

"Entertainment retailer HMV has rejected claims anti-English World Cup merchandise in its Scottish stores could incite racial hatred. The chain has been criticised by members of the public and the Campaign for an English Parliament for stocking Anyone But England T-Shirts. The company said it had 'toned down' displays featuring the ABE slogan after police visited its Kirkcaldy store."

Turns out it's not the first time this has happened either. I honestly feel sorry for the police officer who was sent out to check this shit. They must have thought somebody was taking the bloody piss. Whoever at the Campaign for an English Parliament complained about this deserves to have a vuvuzela shoved so far up their arse they'll be blowing into it come the next World Cup.

Oh well, at the rate England are currently playing, it will be Anyone But England who could win the tournament. They've been pretty bloody useless in the last two matches, to say the least. At the time of writing this, Ladbrokes are offering 6/1 odds on England losing against Slovenia on Wednesday, or 3/1 to draw. So much for The Sun's boast that this was the "best English group since The Beatles", eh?

Why do I feel the sudden urge to go and burn some cottages? You clearly can't take the Welsh out of the man...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Scots bash the english as much as we have a go at them.

I know we [england] are likely to go out soon, however let the ABE campaign have their time of fame, after all we made it and they didnt :)

I personally think its a non story.

Whats worse, the political correctness disease going around, or the medias willingness to jump on the band wagon everytime something stupid like this happens?

I dunno
  • Options
    I blame those muslim extremists myself ;)
  • Options
    Well the English can be considered an ethnic group...

I don't really find it offensive. Being from Wales, I kinda grew up around a culture who pisstake the English.

At the same time, a Tshirt saying "anybody but the Pakistanis" or anti Turkish material could be deemed more offensive by many.

I guess we have to ask why?

Is it more acceptable to make fun of people on their own soil? Are some groups fair play ad others aren't? Does history have an impact on how we perceive prejudice?
  • Options
    power
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Well the English can be considered an ethnic group...

I don't really find it offensive. Being from Wales, I kinda grew up around a culture who pisstake the English.

At the same time, a Tshirt saying "anybody but the Pakistanis" or anti Turkish material could be deemed more offensive by many.

Is it more acceptable to make fun of people on their own soil? Are some groups fair play ad others aren't? Does history have an impact on how we perceive prejudice?

History is always written by the victorious parties.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »

Because they're a different colour. That's racist innit.
  • Options
    I think people should gain a thicker skin.

There always is antagonism between groups and persons; it may never end. And yes, history does affect prejudices. The English hating the French is in part due to the two being historical enemies. The British mocking the Germans is in part due to being one of the Allies in both world wars. The Chinese detest the Japanese due to World War II, etc.

Human nature is human nature.
  • Options
    It's about power.
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    I think people should gain a thicker skin.

There always is antagonism between groups and persons; it may never end. And yes, history does affect prejudices. The English hating the French is in part due to the two being historical enemies. The British mocking the Germans is in part due to being one of the Allies in both world wars. The Chinese detest the Japanese due to World War II, etc.

Human nature is human nature.

Doesnt make it right though.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    It's about power.

Well life is about exploitation, so I agree.